Opinion Has the NRL moved the goal posts?

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Great post.

Because we have NRL administrators who have never worked for a club either as a coach, player or in club admin, we have as a collective now running the game who lack an understanding of how the game is really played.

This is the worst admin in my 60+ years combined as fan, player, referee and coach.

A clean out is needed and people put in the ARLC who understand the game and not make knee jerk decisions that either give the game a better image or make the game faster and more spectacular.

It is a gladiatorial game and as such accidents do happen but some of the sin bins and ultimately suspensions have been ridiculous and dare I say it inconsistent.

There is a lot wrong with the game at the moment. Fans aren't watching games played by other teams if you believe what people on this forum are saying. Which I do.

The current admin won't be the ones fixing it however because they don't understand how wrong they are.

GET NEW PEOPLE ON THE ARLC WHO HAVE A BETTER KNOWLEDGE OF THE BLOODY GAME.
Too many people with other "experience" & not enough rugby league experience. You need to have a nice balance of rugby league, finance & business management.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Great post.

Because we have NRL administrators who have never worked for a club either as a coach, player or in club admin, we have as a collective now running the game who lack an understanding of how the game is really played.

This is the worst admin in my 60+ years combined as fan, player, referee and coach.

A clean out is needed and people put in the ARLC who understand the game and not make knee jerk decisions that either give the game a better image or make the game faster and more spectacular.

It is a gladiatorial game and as such accidents do happen but some of the sin bins and ultimately suspensions have been ridiculous and dare I say it inconsistent.

There is a lot wrong with the game at the moment. Fans aren't watching games played by other teams if you believe what people on this forum are saying. Which I do.

The current admin won't be the ones fixing it however because they don't understand how wrong they are.

GET NEW PEOPLE ON THE ARLC WHO HAVE A BETTER KNOWLEDGE OF THE BLOODY GAME.
"Chaired by ARL Commission member Wayne Pearce, the committee was made up of chairman Peter V'landys, head of football Graham Annesley, veteran coaches Craig Bellamy and Ricky Stuart, referee Matt Cecchin, as well as current internationals Luke Keary and Damien Cook."

Are you seriously suggesting that Wayne Pearce, Craig Bellamy, Ricky Stuart, Luke Keary and Damien Cook don't "understand the game"?

Always a Bulldog

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
"Chaired by ARL Commission member Wayne Pearce, the committee was made up of chairman Peter V'landys, head of football Graham Annesley, veteran coaches Craig Bellamy and Ricky Stuart, referee Matt Cecchin, as well as current internationals Luke Keary and Damien Cook."

Are you seriously suggesting that Wayne Pearce, Craig Bellamy, Ricky Stuart, Luke Keary and Damien Cook don't "understand the game"?

Always a Bulldog
No I am talking about the arl commission. Wayne Pearce is the only one of that lot on the commission. The others are on a rules committee of some sort.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I seem to recall members of the arl commission must not have had a recent association with an nrl club. I think it is about 2 to 3 years. Most of them from memory are business people.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

No I am talking about the arl commission. Wayne Pearce is the only one of that lot on the commission. The others are on a rules committee of some sort.
You were talking about rule (make the game faster and more spectacular) changes and that is the Rules Committee.

Always a Bulldog

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The old addage of "keep it simple stupid" needs to be brought back into the NRL, because we are talking about incidents that happen and are reviewed in split seconds.
Well the NRL have gotten the stupid bit right at least.

I have been saying since the new rules came in about contact to the head, that it was flawed, because even in real life there is no way of knowing if and when something might happen to change the circumstances surrounding any situation.

I suspect that Mr Vlandys thinks that players have a crystal ball that enables them to go into a tackle knowing EXACTLY what is going to happen. T\\He believes t hey should never make contact with the head under any circumstances because they know for sure that player they are tackling is going to go into the collision upright or that they will slip.
Accidents happen and a lot of the instances in which players have been penalised/binned or even sent off there was no way other than to construe what happened as an accident. Sure, be vigilant and be proactive in looking at rubbing out contact to the head but think deliberate and premeditated contact not accidental.

There have been so many good posts in this thread that get right to the heart of the matter and shows that the general public who view the game at a distance are more intelligent than those that make and administer the rules.

As the seaqson advances those goal posts are getting a lot further apart.....

1624683175196.png