Not open for further replies.

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
only natural.

the bulldogs losses dont upset me any more

before i used to be pumped up and excited before every single game dogs played, for last few years its meh despite us making 2 GF in last 5 years.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm disappointed @Wolfmother not one mention of Ennis in your post

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I think many long time fans are fed up, fed up waiting for a return on their emotional and financial investment in the club over so many years.... when other clubs fans would have retreated back in to the wood work or jumped off the band wagon many of us stayed loyal and possible grew louder and stuck by the club.

When the media & NRL was trying to tear us to pieces over the Coffs scandal, the salary cap breach we stuck strong, we copped it left right and centre from all around when out in the public especially during the Coffs rape allegations I know myself and others were abused by strangers, had things thrown at them from cars, refused entry in to some places if seen in bulldogs colours etc....but yet we stuck by the club and the platers and continued to turn up and cheer them on...the same goes for when the ARL v Super League tore us in half

And what to we get for that investment?? we get treated like piggy banks and like mushrooms...we get only get info that is leaked on player signings, our thoughts and opinions are totally ignored, we get bullshit gimmicks forced down our throats along with bullshit PC club statements and media releases.... each bulldogs member is only seen as dollar symbols and nothing more, atleast Todd Greenburg (who rightly cops a fair bit of shit) when he came to the club he preached the dogs culture and history and it was a main focus which did restore a bit of a heart beat to the club.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I cant claim to be a lifelong bulldogs fan like most of you but I can assure you my love for the team is solid.

But lately I've lost that passion and faith , much like when a partner has lied to you

You still love them but the trust, faith and passion is going , you see their faults and you realise they're not the team you fell in love with
yeah or a bit like an ex (who you have a kid with)...... runs all over town getting screwed by anything that moves, couldn't give two fucks about your thoughts, feelings or opinions but is always contacting you wanting money and will smile as long as you hand it over (only to piss it up the wall on useless shit), seems to only remember the few good things they did for you but forgets the many things they did to fuck you over, never tells you what is actually going on and only lets you know what they want you to know....when infact you've already heard the full story from others lol

jasonsmith1994

Waterboy
Reaction score
YEAH I FEEL MAGIC IS FADING,WE NEED FREAKS LIKE KRINAN INU 70 METER DROP OUTS,OR SBW OFFLOADS OR JAMAL IDRIS PALMING OFF INGLIS,OR MICK ENNIS SUSPECT TRY WE HAD A GOOD RUN AFTER THE SBW 08 WALKOUT, BUT SOME REALLY UNFOUNDED DECISIONS LIKE DUMPING KRISNAN INU FOR TIM LAFAI FOR THE KNIGHTS SEMI FINAL OR LETTING MICK ENNIS GO FOR LICCHEA OR GIVING MOSES MBYE A RIDICULOUS UNEARNED CONTRACT OR PLAYING HOPPA AT FULLBACK INSTEAD OF BRETT MORRIS,ALL MAKES YOU WONDER IF THE NRL IS REALLY DOING THE RIGHT THING BY THE INNOCENT KIDS WHO BELIEVE IN RUGBY LEAGUE

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm disappointed @Wolfmother not one mention of Ennis in your post
You are very astute cbb I think that was really when it all started going downhill for me but I reasoned that Ennis was like the honeymoon period and honeymoons unfortunately do come to an end eventually however I thought we had more stability than that .
I still have lingering hope that one day we'll get back on track.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I started supporting the dogs aged about 5 (mid 1980's) and they have given me more highs then I can recall. My first and only club.
However last season was the lowest of the lot for me. The magic started to disappear a couple of years ago. Desballs loyalty to out of form or I'll- disciplined players. His disrespect for media and refs, his captain selections, lack of promotion to younger players, game plan, bench selection, disrespect for the 9's tournament, general unwillingness to change...the list goes on....
Despite this I remain optimistic for next season...I always do...

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What I don't get is that we clearly played our best football throwing the ball around and being adventurous.

We did it in "that game" against Manly and a brief period where we played the Raiders in Canberra and a few games thereafter but for the most part, it was one out ill-directed footy. I don't know how the club is paying millions to a coach to execute a game plan that includes 5-6 hit ups one pass off the ruck for 85% of possession.

Fans accepted losses where we at least attempted to try something different or play with some energy and adventure. We, however, cannot accept failure in the times we either gave up or endured with a prehistoric game plan.

The spark that's missing is the same spark that most of us are craving...that never-say-die Bulldog spirit that plays tough and rises in the face of adversity.

perhsps the lack of juniors could be to blame? Perhaps it's a coach that doesn't truely understand the proud culture of the club?
Perhaps there's more to it than we'll ever know?? What I do know is that there were instances last season I preferred watching non-Bulldogs matches..seeing the likes of the Tigers and Raiders play that high tempo entertaining football was making me very jealous as a fan.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Des is the common
We need another SBW or Barba to come along...
When your X factor is a 125kg prop there's problems.. I agree, an 80min game breaker would at least provide some sort of spark.

Outside of Kas, Brett Morris is probably our most dangerous player.. and unfortunately, he's a little prone to injury.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
A big part of the magic of supporting this club for me has been the sense of unity I felt with our proud, loyal and passionate fans.

I will never forget the joy I felt just walking from the station to the stadium on grand final day 2012. And the shared feeling of sadness as 80-90,000 fans left the stadium that day after the loss was not enjoyable but as fans we held our heads up and said look what we achieved.

Things have changed a lot since then with it fans. There is now a very vocal group who take every opportunity to stick the boot in at any chance. Those who criticise our players, admin staff and immediate prospects for success just make me less proud to associate with the fan base.

Teams can't compete at the highest level constantly and I know we have a few issues with quality in our roster. Such is life with a restrictive salary cap. But looking back at the way our fan base used to pull together in tough times makes me sad to read all the whinging and hate right now. When we were caught breaching the cap, when we had allegations leveled at players of rape, when we were fucked over in the good Friday clash and later on with the bullshit thrown at our club on grand final day against souths. The thing that made me proud was that our fans just said fuck all the haters. We are the Bulldogs and we will be the best again soon.

I'm seeing a vastly different thing when people dig the boot in. That sense of unity that made me proud of our fan base is where I think the magic has gone for me.

I'm never going to be an NRL star but if I was the thing I'd want most from fans is to know that I'll get support even if I lose. Seeing this negativity and copping constant criticism would turn playing for the Bulldogs into a job for me rather than a passion.
Well said!! I couldnt agree more. People who call themselves a supporter of our great club, but feel compelled to criticize the club at every possible chance, who bag our players and say how shit they are, who abuse other fans based on their opinions being of a more positive nature, these people are not supporters and need to learn the meaning of support.
You do not support a club because its successfull, nor because its popular. You celebrate the wins, and mourn the losses because you are bound to the club for some deep seeded reason, and you will show them support win lose or draw.
I havnt been a supporter for such a long time, only about 25 years, but my father has been a supporter for more then 60 years, and was a student at canterbury boys high in the 60s. This is home a came to love this awesome club, and i feel so blessed that i have had an incredibly successfull club to follow during this time. There has barely been a couple of years where we have not been successfull, and im confident next year will be no different.
Im sorry @Wolfmother that the magic has gone, but perhaps it was never there. If you really do love and support this club like i do, then you will support them when things are tough and not going to plan. This is when pur club needs our support more then ever!!!!!!

Serpent

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Lads you need to keep things in perspective, take this from an eels fan, i know a bit about underperforming for 3 decades.
No magic is gone with the dogs, you've had great sustained success for decades, you might not have won the comp in the last decade but your always right up there.
You are just going through a patch where you are still very successful, just not winning comps.
Your a very strong club who's fans and club will out see any management, coach or board, the clubs bigger than any individual in the long run.
The dogs will be fine but not until theres a bit of a purge imo, the wheel will turn soon, keep perspective lads, you follow a very strong club.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Lads you need to keep things in perspective, take this from an eels fan, i know a bit about underperforming for 3 decades.
No magic is gone with the dogs, you've had great sustained success for decades, you might not have won the comp in the last decade but your always right up there.
You are just going through a patch where you are still very successful, just not winning comps.
Your a very strong club who's fans and club will out see any management, coach or board, the clubs bigger than any individual in the long run.
The dogs will be fine but not until theres a bit of a purge imo, the wheel will turn soon, keep perspective lads, you follow a very strong club.
Why are you been so nice tell us what you really think mrs piggy.

The Dogfather

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think the magic in rugby league has gone altogether. The game will never be the same. Long gone are the days where you will see a young benji marshall in his prime terrorising opposition teams just playing the game for what it is and playing what he sees in front of him.

The game these days is way too structured and the entertainment has been scrapped with all these new rules and the ridiculous calls made by the refs.

Rugby league is a simple game yet they make it seem so hard. Its not just our club really acrosd the whole comp the game isnt the same, I dont get that same thrill and excitement of watching rugby league anymore.

I'll admit its tough watching our side play when we can be doing much better but at the end of the day I will always support the bulldogs.

But overall, rugby league has been ruined and although I am a bulldogs fan my favourite player will always be benji marshall as he definitely played the game the way it should be and in his prime brought a level of excitement to the game like no other.

To answer the question of whether the magic has gone, it was gone long ago. Its not just an issue of our club underperforming and all the dramas off the field with des & co. Across the board the NRL has lost its magic and I can't see it regaining it anytime soon.

We just to have to watch the game for what it is but as a club I think we can definitely play better and I agree it is very frustrating watching the boys play.

Thats the life of being a sports fan you just gotta ride the highs and lows.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I'm just over league.

I'll just watch the Dogs "play" and that's it.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Well said!! I couldnt agree more. People who call themselves a supporter of our great club, but feel compelled to criticize the club at every possible chance, who bag our players and say how shit they are, who abuse other fans based on their opinions being of a more positive nature, these people are not supporters and need to learn the meaning of support.
You do not support a club because its successfull, nor because its popular. You celebrate the wins, and mourn the losses because you are bound to the club for some deep seeded reason, and you will show them support win lose or draw.
Supporters should bag players etc.

They are getting a shit load of money & we expect them to at least try in all games.

There are too many players from all clubs, that seem to not to give a shit. Except for their pay.

They then bitch & moan about how many games they have to play during the year. (if they get picked for rep games & then say, we don't get enough money.)

If they aren't happy with what they are earning, maybe they should try having a job as a labourer etc & see how fucking hard, hard work is & then they can complain about what they earn.

I bag my team (Broncos), because I expect them to be competitive. (no I don't expect to win every game)

Several times, I have been pissed off after a win, because the players have been shit, but still won & have been happy with a loss, because the players put in.

Last edited:

Legend23

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As much as i am disappointed in the way things are going at the moment nothing will stop me from being a bulldog.

Sure i have pulled back from my usual nutcase self at games.

Tbh went from attending every home game and most away games to sitting at home and watching for the second half of last yr.

But as said above i really cant see anything in my life taking me away from here or not loving the club as much as i always have. Actions maybe different but the feeling will never change.

I realised this about 2 weeks after we were out of the comp and was having a phone conversation with mum, these conversations as most of mine finish with "go the doggies" as my sign off, this time mum replied "arent they finished for the yr?" And my reply was "yea but its not all about football mum its a way of life"

Hope the magic is instilled in all of u as it is in me.

Status
Not open for further replies.