Harder Job than Originally Thought …

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some might consider it back tracking ….. but I thought it was pretty brave of Gould to come out, be 100% honest, and admit publicly that the job at the Bulldogs is a lot harder than he originally thought.

If you’ve taken on a long term high executive job or project where you had a vision & plan to get the job done, then 12 months, 2 years into it realised markets have changed dramatically, situations have changed dramatically, and the job you originally took on you now realise is going to be bigger and harder than you thought, you’ll understand what Gould meant when he said that, you can try to plan for changes in markets and situations, but some you just can’t factor in.

e.g there’s builders going broke at the moment because 2 years ago they quoted and started projects they were confident they could comfortably afford to finish, they were confident because they’d completed similar projects over the years …. unfortunately it was impossible for them to foresee the back lash from Covid and the break down with China that lead to the timber and material shortage that drove prices up 10 times more than usual .. the climate and situations dramatically changed.

The Nrl market is dealing with a hangover from a lack of junior development due to not playing during Covid.
A new 17th team that has dramatically depleted the player market.
We know the Nrl still has little to no vision towards growing the game, country league, or player development strategies.
Plus quite a cap increase that has allowed clubs to keep players that would have generally gone to market ….. most would struggle to see the long term ramifications these would have on the game 2 years down the track.

These things happen, it’s not back tracking, its reassessing the bigger picture and being honest with yourself so you can make the necessary moves and make changes that best suit the situation so you can continue on and still complete the job.

Most GM’s in a similar situation at other clubs would lock themselves in their office and suckle on the clubs teat and you’d never hear from them, they just watch their club continue to lose and let coaches players recruitment and everyone else take the blame while they collect their pay cheques …

Gould gets out in front of the situation, he’s pro active, he’s vocal and honest about what’s going on, he makes himself vulnerable to haters and mistakes, but at least he’s recruiting the best he can in the most depleted market ever, trying to make the team stronger and more competitive with what’s available all while making sure he’s not ruining or unbalancing our cap for years to come or filling the squad with Napa type plodders on long term contracts … not to mention the work being done in junior development.

Gould’s first 4 years at the Panthers

2013 finished 10th
2014 they jumped up and finished 4th
2015 with an injured ravished team they finished back in 11th just avoiding the spoon, they used a total of 32 players more than any other club that year and due to losing the dressing room Gould sacked Cleary … yet funny enough now the problems, club, and teams all fixed, Cleary can all of a sudden now coach ?
2016 jumped back up to 6th …

These are the yo yo type years we’ll have in the future buying mercenaries, things will only really change when our own kids come through the grades that love and respect their club and jersey ..

Some times you just have to be able to see the bigger picture, see the problems the club GM and coach are facing and try and look at everything from the inside out, not outside in.

I’m sure if you went back through their archives, you’ll see the Panthers forum had their own version of the clown crew with hundreds of sack Gould sack the coach posts … now the clubs going for their 3rd premiership in a row with a coach most were probably screaming out at the time to have sacked … I’m sure that very same clown crew are now butt lickers spruiking over how they’re fans of such a great club.

Yes the seasons been one big clusterfuck and there’s been a long list of telling factors that have created that clusterfuck, including mistakes from GM, coach and players …

But as a Bulldogs fan of over 50 years, I still believe in the club, the coach and Gould as our GM, I still believe we have the right people in charge to get us back to the top, it’ll take time and probably more fuck ups, but they’ll get us there .. Gould has always said this is going to require a hell of a lot of patience before we get back to a top tier club, unfortunately a big percentage on TK don’t have any patience and it’s understandable with what the clubs been through .. but to be there in the good days to come, we’ll all just need to find that patience and suck it up .. at least we have TK to vent our frustrations on …

Hold true everyone …

Bulldogs forever ..

Last edited:

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
And Taaffe will be the easiest signing to be excited about. Whatever happens next year. And we know it will be tough. I’m just happy we have a player whom will put passion in to this jersey for us giving him a shot. He won’t disappoint. That’s my main positive for 24!! I got my man. Very happy.

ElMagicElMasri

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
none of the issues you mentioned became new in the last 18 months for Gus

What is new is the performance of the players he signed, the performance of the coach he signed and the shortfall in output to his own claims that came out of his own mouth

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Im a similar age to Gould - i retired 4 years ago - one of the things that pushed me, or motivated me to retirement was the stark difference in motivation/ thinking/ values/ priorities that exists in the world of the under 30s - one of the things i learnt most in my last few years of work was to never ever ever assume being on the same page as them - not making judgment of right or wrong just different way of reasoning rationalising. Its a challenge beyond jsut leadership n management

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
none of the issues you mentioned became new in the last 18 months for Gus

What is new is the performance of the players he signed, the performance of the coach he signed and the shortfall in output to his own claims that came out of his own mouth
Can you please elaborate on what these shortfall on claims were that came out of Gould’s mouth please ?

Whist most knew the juniors were going to be underdone, the cap was probably going up and that a 17th team was being introduced, it’s still hard to predict what type of ramifications those changes would fully have on the game !

Gould moves in, over rules the coach and runs the team, he’s an egotistical tyrant and control freak ..

He stays in his lane as GM and leaves the players and coaching up to the coaching staff, and he’s still the one at fault for their performances ..

Gould can’t win with most of you blokes …

There’s a lot of complaints on here … what I don’t see much of are realistic solutions ?

Last edited:

Malla

Reaction score
Can you please elaborate on what these shortfall on claims were that came out of Gould’s mouth please ?

Whist most knew the juniors were going to be underdone, the cap was probably going up and that a 17 team was being introduced, it’s still hard to predict what type of ramifications those changes would fully have in the game !

Gould moves in, over rules the coach and runs the team, he’s an egotistical tyrant and control freak ..

He stays in his lane as GM and leaves the players and coaching up to the coaching staff, and his still at fault for their performances ..

Gould can’t win with most of you blokes …

There’s a lot of complaints on here … what I don’t see much of are realistic solutions ?
Luckily Gus doesn’t give a rats about what these idiots think.
As you said, people love to complain and point out stuff but when it comes to finding a solution they are mute. In saying that, they are not qualified to find a solution either. Winning will solve everything. Just don’t forget the idiots who thought they knew better, they’ll be the first to shout I told you so when we start winning.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Im a similar age to Gould - i retired 4 years ago - one of the things that pushed me, or motivated me to retirement was the stark difference in motivation/ thinking/ values/ priorities that exists in the world of the under 30s - one of the things i learnt most in my last few years of work was to never ever ever assume being on the same page as them - not making judgment of right or wrong just different way of reasoning rationalising. Its a challenge beyond jsut leadership n management
Very wise comment mate …. not saying it’s better or worse but it’s a very different world we live in, the game is completely different, and the players that now play the game are a very different breed .. where most laugh at CC’s come together strategy .. he probably understands the under 30 culture and attitude better than most of us.

I use the analogy that back in the day you never really heard of many of our Olympian’s unless they won a gold medal … now they’re superstars win or lose just because they are actually an Olympian …

EuroNymous

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Gus joined in 2011

12th 2011
15th 2012
10th 2013
4th 2014

2014 was breakout Moylan year also, that first wave of Penrith players came to their own that year

BulldogsNation

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
And Taaffe will be the easiest signing to be excited about. Whatever happens next year. And we know it will be tough. I’m just happy we have a player whom will put passion in to this jersey for us giving him a shot. He won’t disappoint. That’s my main positive for 24!! I got my man. Very happy.
what? hahahahhahahahahaha

the guys a nsw cup player
not saying he won't go good .... but settle a bit.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
One of my biggest issues with Gould is that I'd hoped his media presence would be something that would work towards nullifying the refereeing bias that we've seen for more years than I can count. I can see the gradual improvement we've made to our roster. I see the improvement of our juniors that began with the Anderson regime (which some won't acknowledge). And I know that despite me not actually liking Gould, that he's got a persona that can sway the decisions of some players in the recruitment process.

What's really bothered me this year is the fact that we've shown our biggest ever tendency to give up in games. I know that the six again rule has made this a factor for a lot of clubs. But it's really hard to swallow that we concede an average of 40 points a week this year.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m happy for you @Scoooby, I’m looking forward to seeing him play, he looks a competitive little bugger …

My biggest disappointment this season is how quickly not just those that are leaving, but the whole team have checked out, that’s a mercenary here for the money, disgrace to the blue and white jersey ..

I’m hoping Taaffe is the type that regardless of the situation, has that pride and never give up attitude ..

Last edited:

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus joined in 2011

12th 2011
15th 2012
10th 2013
4th 2014

2014 was breakout Moylan year also, that first wave of Penrith players came to their own that year
I was aware of that and maybe I worded it incorrectly, but thanks for pointing that out, Gould’s been with us for 2 years now, that’s why I started 2 years into his panthers gig, to give a fair comparison of where he is with us now ..

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
what? hahahahhahahahahaha

the guys a nsw cup player
not saying he won't go good .... but settle a bit.
My opinion and it will be correct. If not then you can come at me an be negative with your comments!!

and as far as NSW cup player , look how shit Burton and fox and Reed are. Taaffe shits all over them already. And they ain’t nsw cap players .. or are they :tearsofjoy: !!

Last edited:

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m happy for you @Scoobs, I’m looking forward to seeing him play, he looks a competitive little bugger …

My biggest disappointment this season is how quickly not just those that are leaving, but the whole team have checked out, that’s a mercenary here for the money, disgrace to the blue and white jersey ..

I’m hoping Taaffe is the type that regardless of the situation, has that pride and never give up attitude ..
Oh he has that in bucketloads 67!!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One of my biggest issues with Gould is that I'd hoped his media presence would be something that would work towards nullifying the refereeing bias that we've seen for more years than I can count. I can see the gradual improvement we've made to our roster. I see the improvement of our juniors that began with the Anderson regime (which some won't acknowledge). And I know that despite me not actually liking Gould, that he's got a persona that can sway the decisions of some players in the recruitment process.

What's really bothered me this year is the fact that we've shown our biggest ever tendency to give up in games. I know that the six again rule has made this a factor for a lot of clubs. But it's really hard to swallow that we concede an average of 40 points a week this year.
Agree to a point … I just mentioned in another comment that with all that’s happened this year, my biggest disappointment has been the way not just those that are leaving, but the whole team have check out early.

And now you’ve pointed it out it probably extends into the giving up 20/30 minutes into games … that needs to be addressed urgently ..

But I will mention, that’s not Gould, that’s the coaching staff, Gould can mention it, he can talk to CC about it, but the coaching staff need to be the ones to fix it …

My gut tells me Goulds trying to stay in his lane and let those being paid to do the job handle the coaching side of the club .. I’m sure he advises, but I’m seeing where he regularly took over, he now seems to be distancing himself and letting the coaching staff run the coaching !

Yet still he gets the blame for the way the team performs … he can’t win ..

Last edited:

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks Fizbo … saves us time on trying to ignore all the relentlessly repeated, small sighted, gold fish bowl crap replies bagging everything to do with the club ..

J_B

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Some might consider it back tracking ….. but I thought it was pretty brave of Gould to come out, be 100% honest, and admit publicly that the job at the Bulldogs is a lot harder than he originally thought.

If you’ve taken on a long term high executive job or project where you had a vision & plan to get the job done, then 12 months, 2 years into it realised markets have changed dramatically, situations have changed dramatically, and the job you originally took on you now realise is going to be bigger and harder than you thought, you’ll understand what Gould meant when he said that, you can try to plan for changes in markets and situations, but some you just can’t factor in.

e.g there’s builders going broke at the moment because 2 years ago they quoted and started projects they were confident they could comfortably afford to finish, they were confident because they’d completed similar projects over the years …. unfortunately it was impossible for them to foresee the back lash from Covid and the break down with China that lead to the timber and material shortage that drove prices up 10 times more than usual .. the climate and situations dramatically changed.

The Nrl market is dealing with a hangover from a lack of junior development due to not playing during Covid.
A new 17th team that has dramatically depleted the player market.
We know the Nrl still has little to no vision towards growing the game, country league, or player development strategies.
Plus quite a cap increase that has allowed clubs to keep players that would have generally gone to market ….. most would struggle to see the long term ramifications these would have on the game 2 years down the track.

These things happen, it’s not back tracking, its reassessing the bigger picture and being honest with yourself so you can make the necessary moves and make changes that best suit the situation so you can continue on and still complete the job.

Most GM’s in a similar situation at other clubs would lock themselves in their office and suckle on the clubs teat and you’d never hear from them, they just watch their club continue to lose and let coaches players recruitment and everyone else take the blame while they collect their pay cheques …

Gould gets out in front of the situation, he’s pro active, he’s vocal and honest about what’s going on, he makes himself vulnerable to haters and mistakes, but at least he’s recruiting the best he can in the most depleted market ever, trying to make the team stronger and more competitive with what’s available all while making sure he’s not ruining or unbalancing our cap for years to come or filling the squad with Napa type plodders on long term contracts … not to mention the work being done in junior development.

Gould’s first 4 years at the Panthers

2013 finished 10th
2014 they jumped up and finished 4th
2015 with an injured ravished team they finished back in 11th just avoiding the spoon, they used a total of 32 players more than any other club that year and due to losing the dressing room Gould sacked Cleary … yet funny enough now the problems, club, and teams all fixed, Cleary can all of a sudden now coach ?
2016 jumped back up to 6th …

These are the yo yo type years we’ll have in the future buying mercenaries, things will only really change when our own kids come through the grades that love and respect their club and jersey ..

Some times you just have to be able to see the bigger picture, see the problems the club GM and coach are facing and try and look at everything from the inside out, not outside in.

I’m sure if you went back through their archives, you’ll see the Panthers forum had their own version of the clown crew with hundreds of sack Gould sack the coach posts … now the clubs going for their 3rd premiership in a row with a coach most were probably screaming out at the time to have sacked … I’m sure that very same clown crew are now butt lickers spruiking over how they’re fans of such a great club.

Yes the seasons been one big clusterfuck and there’s been a long list of telling factors that have created that clusterfuck, including mistakes from GM, coach and players …

But as a Bulldogs fan of over 50 years, I still believe in the club, the coach and Gould as our GM, I still believe we have the right people in charge to get us back to the top, it’ll take time and probably more fuck ups, but they’ll get us there .. Gould has always said this is going to require a hell of a lot of patience before we get back to a top tier club, unfortunately a big percentage on TK don’t have any patience and it’s understandable with what the clubs been through .. but to be there in the good days to come, we’ll all just need to find that patience and suck it up .. at least we have TK to vent our frustrations on …

Hold true everyone …

Bulldogs forever ..
Only the clowns on here will choose to disagree and argue with you about this.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Next year Gus will come out and say “I told Cam to join in 2025”

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
All jokes aside if we recruit well in the off-season we will have more respectable performances. I doubt we make the 8 unless but the blow outs have to stop.