Halligan 98 vs el Masri 02 goal kick

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey dogs fans.

The great debate over two of the great conversions. Will give people context for those who don’t know what I’m talking about or remember.

1) 1998 semi To make the gf was dogs vs parra. Dogs were getting thrashed 18-2 with 10 remaining. They came back With 3 tries and willie Talau scores with two minutes to go in corner. Score was 18-16 and halligan had to make the kick to send it to extra time.

2) dogs vs knights in 02. Knights up 21-16 dogs scored in corner and el Masri down 21-20 had to make gk to win and he did.

wouldn’t expect many to remember but for those who did, which was better.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Halligans cos of the importance of the game.

Worthy of a mention hodkinsons vs manly 40m out in 2013. After grub managed to milk a penalty.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We had some sharp shooters. Hopefully can have one soon in that class. Flanno may be?

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Halligans kick For sure due to the importance of the game,
Down 18-2 with 11 minutes to go
And it was a grand final qualifier

even though elmasris kick kept the winning streak going,the game was not as important as the 98 semi

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Hazems kick was a work of art. Drilled it and never in doubt. Halligans was wonky and almost sprayed it. Obviously the 98 kick was much more important though. No better striker then hazem in the history of the game though. Also the best defensive winger of all time and probably the quickest between the ears.

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think el Masris was a better kick in terms of strike and the fact it was a fail that day. He starts it wide and hooks it like an artist. But halligans kick given the context , pressure and crowd is the biggest goosebump memory in nrl history for mine. Ray warrens commentary added to the occasion and made it even more magical

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Tough to decide. I give it to Halligan by a whisker purely because the marbles were on the line to get to the Grand Final.

I know this one is before many Kennelers were born and thus I am showing my age. But the best pressure goal I have ever seen from a Canterbury player (then called The Berries) was in 1967. George Taylforth from 48 metres near the scrum line with time running out and we were down 11 to 10 against Saints who had won 11 straight premierships. He nailed it to end their dynasty. We lost the gf to Souths and the McCarthy intercept the next week.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think el Masris was a better kick in terms of strike and the fact it was a fail that day. He starts it wide and hooks it like an artist. But halligans kick given the context , pressure and crowd is the biggest goosebump memory in nrl history for mine. Ray warrens commentary added to the occasion and made it even more magical
Halligan was the master and was the kicking coach of El Masri. Halligan's % is lower because he took more low % penalty kicks from long range. When he misses a kick its often just a near miss from the target while El Masri has a bigger hook to the ball and his misses end up further away from the target than Halligan's misses especially from the right sideline.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Tough to decide. I give it to Halligan by a whisker purely because the marbles were on the line to get to the Grand Final.

I know this one is before many Kennelers were born and thus I am showing my age. But the best pressure goal I have ever seen from a Canterbury player (then called The Berries) was in 1967. George Taylforth from 48 metres near the scrum line with time running out and we were down 11 to 10 against Saints who had won 11 straight premierships. He nailed it to end their dynasty. We lost the gf to Souths and the McCarthy intercept the next week.
Nice memories mate. Georgie Taylforth did not have the highest profile of kickers but by golly he could boot them. I remember a field goal he kicked from about 5 metres in his own half....superb.

Of the two kicks mentioned in this thread both were superb efforts. Yep Halligan effort was important for the finals but Hazem likewise for consecutive wins in a season. Both goals were scored against teams that thought they were better than us and I always remember the Paul Carige efforts in that finals game and the look on Johns face as the ball sailed between the posts and the jump for joy by Hazem....

SLushY

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Waiting for Nasheed to come and say "Holland 16 vs Penrith"

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Can't split them probably Halligan cuz of the "it it's staying on the line" commentary.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Halligans for mine.. only because of the importance of the game..
SF game Vs Regular season game

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No need to say one was better than the other. Both great memories. If the question was about which was more important, Halligan wins though.

MIR-PROD

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The actual kick? Hazem’s was better but Halligan’s was in a final so more important

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Both kicks were great & both should be great memories for all Dogs fans.

Halligan's was in a BIG game, BUT he did have a practice shot a few minutes earlier & missed & the next attempt he adjusted accordingly. Halligan was a great kicker but Hazem improved on him.

Halligan's was also on the better side for a right footer as well.

Opinions are like bums, everybody has one!