Half the reward: Averillo wants playmaker role long term

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Rookie Canterbury playmaker Jake Averillo wants to continue playing in the halves next season after the arrival of star recruit Matt Burton from Penrith.

Averillo, who has shifted from five-eighth to halfback for Saturday’s match against Canberra after Kyle Flanagan was dropped, began his NRL career at centre or on the wing last year but he said his preferred position was five-eighth.

"I’d like to play in the halves long term, but I am not really thinking about Matt coming at the moment," Averillo said.

"I’ve got this year to cement my position there so I am just trying to get better each week and hopefully I can keep the position. If I just play good footy hopefully Baz will pick me in the team."

After signing with the Bulldogs for next season it had been expected that Burton would partner Flanagan in the halves but he is now starring at centre for the Panthers.

Barrett: We will support Kyle

Flanagan has suffered a dramatic fall from grace after being replaced at half-time last Sunday and dropped this week.

Averillo said Flanagan had the backing of his teammates as he battles to regain his position in coming weeks but the 20-year-old is determined to perform well alongside Fiji playmaker Brandon Wakeham to try and help the Bulldogs to their second win of the season.

"We have all got a job to do as a team and it is obviously a tough position, let alone being the leader of the team at such a young age, so I just have got to keep doing my job for my team," Averillo said.

Bulldogs v Raiders - Magic Round

"We will all get behind Kyle and support him. We know he has got a tough job, coming into this team as the halfback.

"It’s obviously been a tough start to the comp for us and we have got a young spine but it’s a learning curve for us and we are only going to get better from this.

"We are lacking a bit of confidence at the moment.

"You can never discount our effort, it is just about being smarter in certain areas which can build some more pressure during games and hopefully get us a win."

Veteran forward Adam Elliott and winger Nick Cotric predicted the 23-year-old halfback would bounce back.

"Kyle is a good player and off the field I like Kyle a lot too," Cotric said. "He will be fine, that is just footy and these things happen."

The final word ahead of festival of footy Magic

With so many new faces at the club this season, Elliott said it was important for the Bulldogs to come together quickly.

"It’s a tough time and this is where teams are made or broken," Elliott said.

"We have only had one win this year and unless we do get tighter and come together it is going to be a hard finish to the season.

The magic so far: The memorable moments of 2021

"A lot of the young guys have probably come through and been the best players in their age groups, so they are probably used to being able to break the game open whenever they wanted to so I think it is a hard lesson to learn that in the NRL you have got to be on for 80 minutes.

"I think the young blokes have been great, they have injected a lot of energy and they turn up every day as a group.

"But I think it is a matter of us coming together as a team and it doesn’t matter how old you are, what jersey you used to wear or where you live."

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Every half that has ever come out and spoken at the dogs has suffered a big fall from grace. Happened with Reynolds, happened with Lewis, happened to Flannagan coming out and saying hed drive to pick up burton. Hopefully Averillo doesnt follow the same path :p

And Jakie, you need to learn to tackle, or atleast put your body in front of the opposition to be a half back. In all honesty has the best potential out of all the current lot, but he might suffer from the Mbye disease where he is a mister fix it and bounces around all over the park that he never nails down 1 position.

Game has advanced to the point that you cant be a utility so to say anymore. You need to be fulltime, especially in spine positions. Reason why I am so wary with the block of cheese. Sure he has decent games at 9 for NZ, but if he can do it week in week out in the NRL at a high standard is another story.

Anyways hopefully Jake and Brandon turn it on this weekend. Raiders are far from full strength, so with a good forward performance the game might be there for the halves taking.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I'm 100% convinced we will do better with an Averillo/Burton combo than Burton/Flanagan. Two running halves is the new META so hopefully Jake can step up and bring some of his lower grade running games to firstgrade. I personally think his kicking game is also superior to Flanagan.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm 100% convinced we will do better with an Averillo/Burton combo than Burton/Flanagan. Two running halves is the new META so hopefully Jake can step up and bring some of his lower grade running games to firstgrade. I personally think his kicking game is also superior to Flanagan.
100% agree. What is META?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
100% agree. What is META?
Most effective tactic available. I think ouf and out ball runners in the spine ate absolute key moving forward under these rules, look at the Storm and they basically have 5 out and out ball runners with Paps/Munster/Hughes/Grant/Smith and it kills teams.

Philmus

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Most effective tactic available. I think ouf and out ball runners in the spine ate absolute key moving forward under these rules, look at the Storm and they basically have 5 out and out ball runners with Paps/Munster/Hughes/Grant/Smith and it kills teams.
definitely agree. If we had Burton, Averillo, Cheese taking on the line, we'd be putting people through alot more gaps i feel

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope Averillo has taken the tip from Baz and will pull his finger out of his arse and compete for the full 80 like other young halves do. Yes, he has great potential and flashes of brilliance, but he still has so much more to prove for mine.

Donkey Slayer

Banned
Reaction score
Everyone watch the last 20mins of trial against sharks

Watch Bailey Boindi Odo play

Avo surley is more of a runner anyway

Until bbo is ready avo can cover there with burton

Anything to get flanno out

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Young Averillo has this amazing opportunity & is in the box seat to really cement a spot .
None of our others Wakeham, Flanno and Lewis have done enough so far to make us pay attention.
Kyle will no doubt have another chance which is fair enough but the right to play along side Burton next season is up for grabs.
I just hope that we see someone prove themselves and play consistently

Last edited:

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone watch the last 20mins of trial against sharks

Watch Bailey Boindi Odo play

Avo surley is more of a runner anyway

Until bbo is ready avo can cover there with burton

Anything to get flanno out
Realistically how far away is bbo from playing first grade.
We need to get cranking like straight away, I don’t want hear more fluff next year.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
definitely agree. If we had Burton, Averillo, Cheese taking on the line, we'd be putting people through alot more gaps i feel
Penrith spine are all genuine ball runners also, Parra again all mostly ball runners (Mahoney has improved there this season)....that's your top 3 teams right there.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great to see Avo get a chance to get more involved. Pity he's getting service from Katoa in his halfback debut and I hope Deitz gets on early.

He's a lot more natural footballer than Flanno and he's doing most of his work pretty well, without high involvement, but with stuff all room to move as the forwards get continually smashed. He could be a very good half but it's gonna be hard to shine in that spine.