Official Gus on Twitter

Dogs4EVA-1

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Agree, I love the fox, but reality is, we need a dominant middle more than a winger. I’d say Parra would give up Weiremu Greg for JAC (though I’d prefer Paulo) - Brisbane have 2 gigantic young prospects in Willisson and Te Kura but only Critta and maybe Kiks would make the Broncos 13.

Canberra’s Trey Mooney and Cowboys Taumololo could be potential swap players or buy out options.

Hunt always seems to get jerked around by Sharks so maybe some scope there?
Ive been talking Mooney for MONTHS!! no to Taumololo.. his knees are shot.,.. Hunt = very good prop

the12thman

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Why? We are not short of Cap Space and we have spots in the Top 38.

Trades are all very well if there is a 4 way benefit, the players and the teams, which doesn't occur very often. More good luck than good management, that's why players trades are rare.

Always a Bulldog
I love Fox but we are short of middles and have enough outside backs.

If we dobt get sone grunt upfront we are going to keep losing.

Sent from my SM-A736B using Tapatalk

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I love Fox but we are short of middles and have enough outside backs.

If we dobt get sone grunt upfront we are going to keep losing.
Sure, but I will repeat, we have Cap space and we have space in our Top 38 (max). So there is no need to swap anyone for anyone else. We can have both, and then some.

Always a Bulldog

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Ive been talking Mooney for MONTHS!! no to Taumololo.. his knees are shot.,.. Hunt = very good prop
There should be no reason why we can't sign at least 2 of these guys, all unlikely, some a lot more unlikely than others but there's enough there to get a couple...

Mooney
May
Utoikamanu
NAS?

2026 (a couple with potential for an early release)
Hopgood
Cotter
Hazelton
Hunt
Kamikamica
Leniu
Neame
Willison
Egan Butcher

Mooney, Hunt, Willison and Egan Butcher aren't even in their clubs top 17...

Dogs4EVA-1

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
There should be no reason why we can't sign at least 2 of these guys, all unlikely, some a lot more unlikely than others but there's enough there to get a couple...

Mooney
May
Utoikamanu
NAS?

Hopgood
Cotter
Hazelton
Hunt
Kamikamica
Leniu
Neame
Willison
Egan Butcher

Terrell May should have been done months ago.. That's a mystery what happened there.. Obviously the Chooks r getting Taylan so he's staying put.. all the other guys wont come as they are all at better clubs.. Cotter and Hopgood are also smaller in stature, we need big bodies... I'm just absolutley stunned why we don't offer Mooney 500-550k a year for 4 years?? he would start immedicatly in NRL.. In Canberra hes behind too many guys, and even more now with Hosking on fire... (another one we missed).. Hopeless recruiting team...

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah look Alan it's hard not to be critical of the regime given the rebuild seems to be going at a snails pace at present. I'm all for credit when it's due I've been a very annoying Cc Knocker but my feelings about have changed since post match on Friday night. He spoke as a frustrated head coach should who's getting sick and tired of losing and keen for some good wins

Sent from my iPhone using The Kennel mobile app
Surely you can comprehend the massive implications of suddenly adding a 17th team?? The massive increase in the cap has also made things a massive challenge for recruitment.

Bulldog Brower

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Terrell May should have been done months ago.. That's a mystery what happened there.. Obviously the Chooks r getting Taylan so he's staying put.. all the other guys wont come as they are all at better clubs.. Cotter and Hopgood are also smaller in stature, we need big bodies... I'm just absolutley stunned why we don't offer Mooney 500-550k a year for 4 years?? he would start immedicatly in NRL.. In Canberra hes behind too many guys, and even more now with Hosking on fire... (another one we missed).. Hopeless recruiting team...
As with every other club, our recruiting team would know about every player from juniors up to NRL and would be talking to every player manager.
So why aren't we signing these players that so many on the kennel are talking about?

Are player managers advising their players not to come to the Dogs? Are we not offering enough money? Do players prefer to stay at their current clubs? Or are the Dogs totally invested in their juniors coming through?

Dogs4EVA-1

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
As with every other club, our recruiting team would know about every player from juniors up to NRL and would be talking to every player manager.
So why aren't we signing these players that so many on the kennel are talking about?

Are player managers advising their players not to come to the Dogs? Are we not offering enough money? Do players prefer to stay at their current clubs? Or are the Dogs totally invested in their juniors coming through?
I think possibly managers are advising not to come to Dogs.. especially managers of Props/middles..

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

Mooney
May
Utoikamanu
NAS?

Hopgood
Cotter
Hazelton
Hunt
Kamikamica
Leniu
Neame
Willison
Egan Butcher

My critique;
Trey Mooney - 188/106 too small for prop, we already have a couple of decent locks.

The guys we can't talk to until November, a lot will happen between now and then.
J'Maine Hopgood- 185/102 too small for prop, we already have a couple of decent locks.
Reuben Cotter - On peanuts at the Cowboys, will get a substantial upgrade before November. Taumalolo is the key here.
Thomas Hazelton - Cronulla have an CO on him for 2025, almost certain they will upgrade and extend at the same time as exercising their Option.
Xavier Willison - played 11 NRL games for the Donkeys over 4 seasons, only 21, maybe a good get for the future, but doesn't solve the problem for 2025/6.
Egan Butcher - 187/96 too small for prop, we already have plenty of decent 2nd rowers.

Cut the list in half, very easily.

Always a Bulldog

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Surely you can comprehend the massive implications of suddenly adding a 17th team?? The massive increase in the cap has also made things a massive challenge for recruitment.
Without the 17th team the 38 players at the Dolphins would have be signed to the other 16 clubs - Flegler Kaufusi Gilbert Bromwich Nichols Hammer etc

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
My critique;
Trey Mooney - 188/106 too small for prop, we already have a couple of decent locks.

The guys we can't talk to until November, a lot will happen between now and then.
J'Maine Hopgood- 185/102 too small for prop, we already have a couple of decent locks.
Reuben Cotter - On peanuts at the Cowboys, will get a substantial upgrade before November. Taumalolo is the key here.
Thomas Hazelton - Cronulla have an CO on him for 2025, almost certain they will upgrade and extend at the same time as exercising their Option.
Xavier Willison - played 11 NRL games for the Donkeys over 4 seasons, only 21, maybe a good get for the future, but doesn't solve the problem for 2025/6.
Egan Butcher - 187/96 too small for prop, we already have plenty of decent 2nd rowers.

Cut the list in half, very easily.

Always a Bulldog
Mooney has been playing prop in reserve grade for 2 seasons now and he averages just over 60 minutes and 150 metres a game. If we were able to get someone like Hunt we'd only need Mooney for 30-40 minutes off the bench.

Hopgood and Cotter both play above their weight.

If Hazelton gets to November we can negotiate (if they extend him someone like Hunt becomes more likely).

Willison a bench prop/second row option, 30-40 minutes out of him.

I've seen enough of Egan Butcher to know he's more of a middle than a second rower. I'd be confident in a 40 minute role in the middle off the bench for him.

If we signed players like Mooney, Hunt, Willison and Egan Butcher I'd be happy with that and none of the make their current teams 17. I'd prefer some of the other names but they're a lot more unlikely. A forward pack of King, Hunt, Kikau, Preston, Curran, E. Butcher, Mooney and Willison would transform our team.

Last edited:

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My critique;
I think its a bit more than size Twin, if Trey Mooney is too small to be a prop for us then how do we explain;

James Fisher Harris 187cm/103kg
Moses Leota 182cm/107kg

Not sure about you but I wouldnt be too upset if that was our front row. I heard one of the SEN guys talking about players shapes these days and it appears having different types works which Penrith certainly does.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think its a bit more than size Twin, if Trey Mooney is too small to be a prop for us then how do we explain;

Moses Leota 182cm/107kg

Not sure about you but I wouldnt be too upset if that was our front row. I heard one of the SEN guys talking about players shapes these days and it appears having different types works which Penrith certainly does.
Different sizes and having balance - on the assumption they can all play - dogs problem too many smaller ball playing types not enough tough nut run hard tackle hard big bodies - Salmon Mann Morrin Curran Mahoney on the field at the same time wont work too often

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

Moses Leota 182cm/107kg

I'm sure Mooney would work if, say, NAS was on the field a the same time. But with our current roster he's too similar a "shape" to what we already have.

Always a Bulldog

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Moses Leota 182cm/107kg

size of the fight in the dog Baz, size of the fight in the dog.