Official Gus on Twitter

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They also have an alpha prop, and a gun halfback. Plus a stacked team!
I know all that mate, but they also had a defence like a leaky ship. Webster comes in and immediate noticeable difference. We both know it’s only round 2 but it worries me that we are not losing gritty 12-6 or 14-4 games, we are still leaking high twenty’s.

Round 10 will be more than enough time for a pattern to appear.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They also have an alpha prop, and a gun halfback. Plus a stacked team!
Warriors in 2022 were in a much worse position than what we were plus we recruited big for the 2023 season. We were widely tipped to make the 8 in 2023 the Warriors were tipped to be amongst the challengers for 16th spot with Dolphins winless in 17th spot.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Let me just say as succinctly and clearly as possible…. ”fuck off you drongo”. I don’t agree with your agenda in any shape or form and constantly roll my eyes when I see your posts.

As @DinkumDog will attest, I have regularly questioned some of the things the club has done or is doing, but have always had a club first attitude and supported them and the coaches even if I didn’t agree with their appointment or decisions.

I have also banged on about defence being the number 1 priority and it shits me that it appears to be so difficult to implement. I will question things but I don’t have a personal agenda that you have with Gould and the board, so go recruiting Clowns somewhere else because we are not even close to being on the same page.
To be fair, it was 6-6 at half time and should have been 12-6, and the sharks didn't score again until the 67th minute. Despite similar points differential, we are without a doubt a much better defensive team. We will get there, this team just needs a few more games together to put it all together.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I know all that mate, but they also had a defence like a leaky ship. Webster comes in and immediate noticeable difference. We both know it’s only round 2 but it worries me that we are not losing gritty 12-6 or 14-4 games, we are still leaking high twenty’s.

Round 10 will be more than enough time for a pattern to appear.
12-6 after 67 mins. Similar situation against parra. We were definitely in both of those games bar a 5 minute or so period. Both teams have much better forward packs and halves, and have both been together for a long while.

Bulldog Brower

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Still feel the same a week later Alzz after Flanagan and his charges copped a 38-0 drubbing? You also said the Bulldogs screwed up not appointing Holbrook and these days he’s an assistant. Ah, hindsight :-).
The other issue is that every proven coach started as a rookie. You'll never find diamonds without a bit of digging. I'm sure I read that Craig Bellamy applied to coach the Tigers when he first started coaching but they knocked him back because of his lack of experience. I bet the Tigers have been regretting that decision for twenty odd years. Life is easy in hindsight.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
To be fair, it was 6-6 at half time and should have been 12-6, and the sharks didn't score again until the 67th minute. Despite similar points differential, we are without a doubt a much better defensive team. We will get there, this team just needs a few more games together to put it all together.
12-6 after 67 mins. Similar situation against parra. We were definitely in both of those games bar a 5 minute or so period. Both teams have much better forward packs and halves, and have both been together for a long while.
I agree with both posts mate, that’s why I say 10 rounds is a fair gauge. After that there are no more excuses, it is what it is.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a crock of shit..
Warriors came 15th in 2022.

Both clubs sacked their coaches mid season. We brought in a dual premiership winning player who won a Dally M with us. They brought in their greatest ever player. We got more out of our coach change in 2022. The Warriors came 2nd last.

We recruited big for the 2023 season. They went and changed their attitudes. This is why Webster had more success in 2023.

The challenge now for Webster and for O'Brien at Newcastle is to show 2023 wasn't a one-off flash in the pan.

Warriors are traditionally a rubbish and under achieving club.

We were tipped to be one of the big improvers in 2023. We went backwards from 2022.

Warriors were tipped to be one of the challengers for 16th position. We weren't considered a contender for 2nd last. Only one club was considered for last spot.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Warriors came 15th in 2022.

Both clubs sacked their coaches mid season. We brought in a dual premiership winning player who won a Dally M with us. They brought in their greatest ever player. We got more out of our coach change in 2022. The Warriors came 2nd last.

We recruited big for the 2023 season. They went and changed their attitudes. This is why Webster had more success in 2023.

The challenge now for Webster and for O'Brien at Newcastle is to show 2023 wasn't a one-off flash in the pan.

Warriors are traditionally a rubbish and under achieving club.

We were tipped to be one of the big improvers in 2023. We went backwards from 2022.

Warriors were tipped to be one of the challengers for 16th position. We weren't considered a contender for 2nd last. Only one club was considered for last spot.
That’s 5 mins of your time your will never get back.

Magic Burton

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The other issue is that every proven coach started as a rookie. You'll never find diamonds without a bit of digging. I'm sure I read that Craig Bellamy applied to coach the Tigers when he first started coaching but they knocked him back because of his lack of experience. I bet the Tigers have been regretting that decision for twenty odd years. Life is easy in hindsight.
They've won a premiership since we last won one. We have both been under achievers.

Our club is a political beast and we have a history of making administration decisions based on political noise so it needs a much stronger personality as a coach to cut through it all. Ciraldo needs to show the strength to cut through and above the politics.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We were WIDELY tipped to make the 8 were we? Let's go one better and say we were WIDELY tipped to make the GF
There were personalities in the game tipping us to make the 8, which I didn't agree with to be fair. The Warrior and Dolphin thing is also true, betting agencies had us above both of them. We always get worst case scenario which isn't good enough in itself.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
A coach is judged on what he gets out of his players.

Webster had a " potentially" better roster who habitually underachieved. He got every player playing their best form. That's a key dynamic for any good coach.

We have not seen any of our players play to their "potential" or even their proven form with their previous clubs....that's yet to happen...perhaps it will soon. Until then Webster is the clear winner in the coaching stakes as evidenced in player form and turnaround.

Maybe 2024 we will start to see each and every player of ours find their best form. If we can't have the best roster on paper at least we can expect that the coaching staff have them all playing to their best ability. Let's all hope so.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
There were personalities in the game tipping us to make the 8, which I didn't agree with to be fair. The Warrior and Dolphin thing is also true, betting agencies had us above both of them. We always get worst case scenario which isn't good enough in itself.
In any case it's a stupid argument to bring up, because these "experts" regularly get it wrong. Polly only does it to shit on the club's administrators, no other reasons, he looks for confirmation bias to shit on the club while Gus is in charge

There's no f*ing way you can say we had a better team than warriors in 2023 (with hindsight), the only reason you'd bring up these "tips" is to shit on the club and it's administrators

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What was Gus' opinion on the rort we copped on Friday?

Sent from my SM-A235F using Tapatalk