Official Gus on Twitter

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
lol you can't "install" competitiveness and aggression into players they are either born with those qualities or they aren't, and the sad fact is any kid that is born with those traits these days has them manipulated out of them by society the minute they hit the ground. Better to tame the beast than have no beast to tame.
More of this from our middle forwards "done wrestled with a alligator, I done tussled with a whale; I done handcuffed lightning, thrown thunder in jail; only last week, I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalised a brick; I'm so mean I make medicine sick.” THE GREATEST in ‘72 for ‘The Rumble In The Jungle’. Muhammad Ali

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
More of this from our middle forwards "done wrestled with a alligator, I done tussled with a whale; I done handcuffed lightning, thrown thunder in jail; only last week, I murdered a rock, injured a stone, hospitalised a brick; I'm so mean I make medicine sick.” THE GREATEST in ‘72 for ‘The Rumble In The Jungle’. Muhammad Ali
one of the greatest orators of all time with one major difference to all the rest, He had the goods to back it up.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
one of the greatest orators of all time with one major difference to all the rest, He had the goods to back it up.
Looking back on his career / life he "got it" - the bravado, the humour, the skill, the toughness and the integrity through his actions regardless of the price - everyone after him trying to copy look second n third rate.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Looking back on his career / life he "got it" - the bravado, the humour, the skill, the toughness and the integrity through his actions regardless of the price - everyone after him trying to copy look second n third rate.
There will only ever be one Ali.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
lol you can't "install" competitiveness and aggression into players they are either born with those qualities or they aren't, and the sad fact is any kid that is born with those traits these days has them manipulated out of them by society the minute they hit the ground. Better to tame the beast than have no beast to tame.
So throw out all this lot because they can't be taught aggressive or competitive play at the designated props academy?

Aggression and competitiveness is an essential trait of a frontrower's position for the team, so you'd expect it would be part of the training?

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My posts are 50/50 positive and negative. I critique the aspects of the club that deserve to be critiqued and praise what I believe deserves to be praised. How people take that critique is not my issue and they need to learn to deal with their emotions. No I cannot bring up injury knowledge from the Berries era. I chose the name at 15 as I was young and getting into the history of the club (my dad telling me of the old days) There was no excuse for the combinations crap from above so far into the season they were pushing. Every team goes through it each year bar the top few. Regardless of the extra 100 games the Phins had, an entire brand new team would be more difficult to nail the combinations than ours that still had a decent core from 2022. It was a desperate attempt from the club to paper over the cracks
I'm a fair bit older than you (not that being older makes a person any smarter) - I notice we both joined this forum in Nov 2006, so I respect where you are coming from and have no doubt it is from a good place.
For what is worth last year was the worst I can recall in 50 years when it comes to injuries, particularly to forwards.
I have always been just a little fanatical and there have been times, particularly in recent years where I have been frustrated by decisions the club has made, but not just in recent years - like a lot of clubs we have made plenty of mistakes. In the past those mistakes didn't always translate to on field failure, although they did contribute to the slow undermining of our culture / what this club was built on.
I want our supporters to take heart that we are now on the path to sustainable long term success. The changes we have made in the last few years (we did make a clunky start prior to Gus) are really starting to come to fruition. Between the ages of 16 and 21 we have multiple players that will be good first grade players in the future - not all of them for us because we have many competing for the same position.
I expect we will see a number play 100+ NRL games for us - something that use to be the norm, however sadly not in recent times.
The correlation will be very clear - the best juniors in the country, playing together in winning teams for years before they play NRL - it will be back to future, just like it was when we expected to win every week.
Love or hate Gus, he is a mover and a shaker - I personally think he is getting better at what he does - he is definitely a guy that learns from the past and no one ever gets it right all the time.
This year our top 30 is still a bottom 4 roster my opinion, so I'm trying to keep my expectations realistic. If we gel, we may do a lot better than that. Next year 6-10 of these guys will be gone and every one of them will be replaced with a player with a higher ceiling. Then my expectations will be breaking into the top 8.

Last edited:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
And then Gus was behind Stuart’s sacking. They didn’t speak for years. Gould will destroy Canterbury. Give him time
Stuart was behind Stuart's sacking, amongst many errors he totally farked up their roster in 2005/6/7. So badly that it cost Chris Anderson his health trying to fix it and it wasn't half fixed until 2010. People forget that the Chooks were pretty shit from 2005 to 2013, they only made the finals twice in that time. The rot started with Stuart.

Always a Bulldog

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
So if the Bulldogs finish bottom four this year do you still hold that belief ?
Yes, why because Papalii, O'Niell, Woods, Marshall and many other juniors are not yet in first grade. We're not like the Roosters can't go buy SBW, Maloney, Jennings, Sam Moa, O'Donnell in one off season to catapult from bottom 4.

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
We have one or two nice props coming through our Flegg and Seve looks good in Ball. However the real talent is in our Matts squad. There are some scary Mofos in that squad. We need to lock up Seve's brother, the number 8, 13 and 16 at least that played on the weekend. Our HM Matts team also has 2 beast wingers. However they never get the ball, because we just play through the middle with a middle forward scoring nearly every set. I will be shocked if they don't win it undefeated. Only issue will be complacency. Problem is that Matts which is under 17s (some may turn 18 this year?), so they are 2-3 years away minimum form NRL. Seve is a prospect for late 25 at the earliest. I was glad to see Damon Marshal play 10 for Flegg. We have enough 13s. His tackling is great, but needs to take more carries. He did a nice play the ball that lead to a try on the weekend which was nice. Thats a long time to wait. Good thing is we have a gun Flegg squad followed by a gun Matts squad, followed by a second gun Matts squad. If we can hold on to the best..the players are coming. Just going to take 2-3 years.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Indeed it is. No one wants an unhappy team.

But, we should remember that this time last year we also had a bunch of "happy campers" ("training hard", "buying into the system", "Ciraldo really cares - he's a friend first", etc), even after a deflating Rnd 1 loss to Manly and especially after a Rnd 2 bounce-back against an admittedly understrength Melbourne.

Turned out to be confidence founded on naivety, and by the time reality set in mid-season, the wheels fell off and the knives came out for the players (maybe he made them feel "too safe" at year's start).

Anyways, it is what happens next that counts.

My concern is there is (way) too much Deja Vu about the start of our 2024 (I really, REALLY hope it doesn't go on to pan out the same way); and that persistent nag that Ciraldo isn't learning quickly enough, and in some areas, apparently not at all.

Just one (of many examples). It appears that Taffe is Ciraldo's Perham2.0 - geez I hope I am wrong (wrong, wrong, wrong). Only two trials and one round, but all of the evidence so far is not looking good at all.

Rookie coach, fixated on [insert current favourite player here] for the fullback slot (Last year Perham | This year Taffe).
Trains him there ALL pre-season, with little legitimate alternative (Last year Averillo | This year. Take your pick of Crichton, Wilson, or Burton - it would be unfair to include Tracey & Kiraz, both being mostly injured).
Yeah, they might have had a run or two, but nothing significant enough to force the spot, because any of Crichton, Wilson, or Burton without the benefit of a decent pre-season there, becomes a huge gamble for an early season switch. We'd be essentially 6 weeks behind.

But worse, if it does go that way, steadfastly refusing to confront the error and correct it until the season has totally slipped past.

Probably not absolute panic stations yet, but if we're still here in round 3-4, nothing has improved, and Ciraldo makes no corrective decisions, we will be not just talking about writing off 2024, but starting to talk about which round will be his last, because doing something rounds10-16, or later, will be just too late.

Just like Barrett, he's had two full pre-seasons, he's got the players he wants. No one's asking him to win the comp with this roster (would be nice though ;) ) but we do want to see good man-management, good selections, playing to the team's strengths using tactics that amplify those strengths, minimising the weaknesses, and properly competing each week.

It's a decent roster. Yes, understrength in a few key areas, but decent enough that a good coach can do something with them.

Regardless, he won't be sacked this year. But if he repeats last year's mistakes, there's nothing to suggest he won't do exactly the same thing in the next pre-season. New players can only mask that kind of deficiency for so long.

C'mon Cameron. Challenge yourself. Grow. Show us what you've got.
Agree with aĺl that you've pointed out.

Regardless of our non-aggressive props problem, (get O'Meley to feed them raw meat after he's torn strips off then lol) there are still plenty of opportunities for CC to fix the 1%ers like handling, poor kicking game, enthusiasm to impose themselves in the game and not stand back and watch, use the bench rotation better than waiting 75 mins to give a guy a run.

Anyway....we await the Sharks game and improvement.