Official Gus on Twitter

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yep, GREAT effort!
HM SGBall and Flegg all are scheduled to play Sat afternoon at Chester Hill - anyone who wants to see the pathways in action id encourage you to go - if the focus is on individual player efforts/performance rather than game result might help to lessen any disappointment around fg.

If planning to go check nsw rl website - venues n times get changed regularly and the club will rarely advise.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Roosters bought Brad Fittler & a host of stars
In 5 years with a stacked team he never got past a preliminary final. As soon as he’s gone Mark Murray who Gus didn’t like got them to the 2000 GF.
That pissed Gus off so 18 months after getting Easts to a grand final & the 2001 semis , Gould got Politis to sack Murray for Stuart.
Phil Gould was a cancer at the Roosters.
And Stuart, with Gould as Coaching Director, won the Premiership in his first year and played in the next 2 Grand Finals. Seems to me like a good decision.

Always a Bulldog

Last edited:

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Long shot, I don’t think he’s very good, yet Chad Townsend for next year??? Despite my not liking him a great deal, the one thing we’ve lacked and clearly don’t have is a game manager. Someone to sense momentum and how to slow it down and get it back.
I agree about the control of the game and sensing the shifts in momentum. We don’t have a game manager and haven’t for a while.

I think that’s what Hutch and Sexton are there for to try and maintain some control and structure. Guys like Joseph O’Neill and Mitchell Woods are probably not as far away as people might think

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree about the control of the game and sensing the shifts in momentum. We don’t have a game manager and haven’t for a while.

I think that’s what Hutch and Sexton are there for to try and maintain some control and structure. Guys like Joseph O’Neill and Mitchell Woods are probably not as far away as people might think
Tend to agree to some extent BUT the biggest issue is still middle forwards - dominant middles. or those that can at least finish even will make it a lot easier for rookie halves to transition into fg- without the middles they will be set up for failure.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

It’s so frustrating, we do all this tackling and I think, just hold for a set give to Burton on tackle 4 and just launch it, he has the biggest boot I’ve seen. Yet we drop it, throw forward pass etc etc. I hope ur right mate about the next crop coming through.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And Stuart, with Gould as Coaching Director, won the Premiership in his first year and played in the next 2 Grand Finals. Seems to me like good decision.

Always a Bulldog
I think it is pretty well documented the success that has followed him in one form or another at the Dogs, Penrith and the Roosters as a player, coach or administrator. That success and credability is why we employed him 2 and a bit years ago and he is now in his 3rd with a roster and coach that he is responsible for. However, the honeymoon is over and results/improvement need to happen very quickly or he needs to make the needed adjustments
before we become the "graveyard" that was written about in the papers.

He needs to own it and if one of the things that need adjusting is Ciraldo I just hope he is already considering talking to Bennett while that is still an option..

P.S I know that sounds harsh but atm he is available and there really isnt much else out there. I think Gus has run out of "pulling power" as far as top players go and unless this lot dramitically turn things around it will become a huge problem for us.

battered sav

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
How?
We struggled to hold the ball and ref didn’t do us any favours.
We hardly had the ball and scored twice they had 70% of the ball and struggled to score 3.
They had the rub of the green as well. I think just once in that game the ball bounced in our favour otherwise it fell into their lap. We are still a bit short on quality obviously everyone knows that, but the effort that the players we do have put in was to be applauded. It tells me at least that the coach is well supported by the team and if he is supported by the team that's good enough for me. If a quality 7 and some alpha props materialise but we don't fly up the ladder then all eyes will be on the coach.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He fixed the Roosters ? U have got to be kidding me ! As soon as he left as coach they played in 4 grands in 5 years
He bought a bunch of reject utilities that clubs didn’t want
Funny how Gus takes over at these clubs that have been perennial losers for years, spends years there being paid big coin to supposedly twiddle his thumbs contributing nothing, yet after he leaves they all of a sudden become powerhouse clubs & win multiple premierships ..

Happened at Roosters and the Panthers .. pretty sure he did similar at Origin level as well ..

Can anyone explain this weird phenomenon .. ?

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Tend to agree to some extent BUT the biggest issue is still middle forwards - dominant middles. or those that can at least finish even will make it a lot easier for rookie halves to transition into fg- without the middles they will be set up for failure.
Definitely. Although I don’t think we lost solely because of our middles on the weekend. We looked like we didn’t know what to do with the ball at times and we made too many errors and had to defend for too long. We lacked direction in the halves.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
re Burton playing centre -if he plays there will he do any hard yardage runs as is required of centres and wingers?

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
It’s so frustrating, we do all this tackling and I think, just hold for a set give to Burton on tackle 4 and just launch it, he has the biggest boot I’ve seen. Yet we drop it, throw forward pass etc etc. I hope ur right mate about the next crop coming through.
We really lack a dominant voice in the halves.

I’m never usually one to rush a kid but if Woods continues his form in Flegg later in the year I think he has to come into consideration for 2025. Some forwards like Jack Todd might come through with him.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Roosters bought Brad Fittler & a host of stars
In 5 years with a stacked team he never got past a preliminary final. As soon as he’s gone Mark Murray who Gus didn’t like got them to the 2000 GF.
That pissed Gus off so 18 months after getting Easts to a grand final & the 2001 semis , Gould got Politis to sack Murray for Stuart.
Phil Gould was a cancer at the Roosters.
Wasn't it Graham Murray? Mark Murray was the useless Storm and QLD coach.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Still sounds like Groundhog Day reading his take on the game. What on earth is pre season training for if not to build combinations or familiarity between the spine.
They have months of daily training to work on this issue.
None of that counts until the combinations are pressure tested and you can't do that at training