Official Gus on Twitter

Wayne Rooney

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Gus seems to manage the cap by assigning "roles" & then ranges of (what he considers) fair market values for those roles (and it seems to work pretty well).

He tries to not pay overs (or unders for that matter) for players depending on what "role" he recruits them for. Sometimes you get lucky & a player breaks out past the role they were recruited for (in which case, he's usually onto an upgrade before the wolves come knocking).

Not that Gus recruited him, but Thompson has been occupying a Marquee prop role since he got here along with the matching salary.

I don't think there is any doubt that he will not be filling that "role" beyond this year.

Based on his talent (which he does have), his current injury & how/if he recovers, an assessment of how his past concussions are going, and a myriad of other factors, he might be invited to take on another role within the squad (likely, at a much lower contract value).

Whether that scenario suits Luke (& the club - there might be better options for that role), remains to be seen.

If you were playing the odds, I wouldn't expect to see Thompson in the 2024 squad, but I hope he recovers this year, gets some time on the field, & takes the opportunity to give himself a chance to still be here (if that's what he wants).
Im not sure as Gus has gone out and spent 850k on a centre

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I doubt very much that Chricton got $850k (and definitely not that much on our cap).
More likely around the $725k-ish mark.

He has apparently been bought as a Fullback, so $725k would put him in or around the Top 8 fullbacks (2023 money) if you're getting value for money.
$825k-$850k and he'd need to be Top 6. And he might be, we'll see.

If he ends up playing Centre, then he'd need to be top 3-4 to justify mid-700k's and @$825k-$850k, you're pretty much in the top 1 or 2. (Not saying he is or isn't).

In any case, since Gus (at least for the next couple of years) will be under budget at Halfback, he can afford to re-direct a little toward other positions. (eg using a little of the Halfback budget on Burton, or Fullback, or Prop).

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think we as a club are bigger than just belmore and Bankstown. You don’t need to be from that area to be a bulldog. I haven’t lived in the area since I was 5 and I’m more passionate than most the people who live in belmore.
Personally I’d prefer if the club stopped talking about belmore and how passionate the area is, and start talking about our brand as in we come from all over Sydney.
most the people I know who support the dogs don’t even live in that district.

Last edited:

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
that’s a perfect example I’ve smiled I’ve cried I’ve travelled all over to support my team since my teenage years while grub lived in belmore and was a roosters fan.

we have passionate fans not only from belmore..
I also did what you said. Grew up in Western Sydney with no ties to CB. I just happened to see them on TV as a kid and never considered following any other team after that.

My previous comment was kind of a sarcastic poke at the all warm and fuzzy video, but also because I forget the story around Grub in the Roosters jersey. So he did actually grow up in Belmore? But went for the chooks at least for some time?

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I also did what you said. Grew up in Western Sydney with no ties to CB. I just happened to see them on TV as a kid and never considered following any other team after that.

My previous comment was kind of a sarcastic poke at the all warm and fuzzy video, but also because I forget the story around Grub in the Roosters jersey. So he did actually grow up in Belmore? But went for the chooks at least for some time?
I could be wrong but did Reynolds play for the "Dragons" in the Canterbury competition - home ground Clemton Park - the club that wore Easts jersey

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think we as a club are bigger than just belmore and Bankstown. You don’t need to be from that area to be a bulldog. I haven’t lived in the area since I was 5 and I’m more passionate than most the people who live in belmore.
Personally I’d prefer if the club stopped talking about belmore and how passionate the area is, and start talking about our brand as in we come from all over Sydney.
No .. and even some from little old NZ :grinning: and your right.. the brand is very important!!!

dogsday

Kennel Participant
Gilded
Reaction score

St george juniors used to have the same jumpers as rorters about 60 yrs ago, i used play for them ( red ,white & blue ) trained at clempton park on moorefields rd.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
100% I have never lived in NSW let alone Bankstown and never will but I am just as passionate about my club as the next person.