Official Gus on Twitter

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I find it weird the support that Thommo gets on here compared to TPJ.....RFM and JAC have demonstrated leadership qualities and should be considered well before Thommo for VC.
Fair enough.

I would support them also :grinning:

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
maybe haas lollll
My Personal Tip Is that he will be at Belmore next season.

I think the telling factor to gauge if he is leaving the Brocos is if we see him withdrawing from the World Cup to get the off season surgery he requires.

If he doesn't withdraw from the world cup, then my guess would be that he stays with the Broncos next year as he won't care about missing time for them on his current deal.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I hope Thommo comes good - im less hopeful than some but giving out Captaincy and Vice Captaincy roles as incentives is not how leadership works. He may earn the role one day but he would be behind many leaders in the group.
Should be the last thing on his mind right now. He needs to get his body right and hopefully string some games together. Nobody talks more then Fox - even though he’s out wide. Mahoney is also VC material in my opinion but probably needs to get some runs on the board in blue and white first.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I hope Thommo comes good - im less hopeful than some but giving out Captaincy and Vice Captaincy roles as incentives is not how leadership works. He may earn the role one day but he would be behind many leaders in the group.
Understand your pov. I just feel it would be good man management of him. Give him more responsibility....but of course he'd have to earn it during pre-season and prove he wanted it. Agree that leadership must be earnt and not given out like lollies.

Gus and Ciro will have a better idea of how to bring out his best. In good hands...if he wants to succeed.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sure hope so. Our pack would look so much more stable and solid upfront considering we lost Vaughan.
thats why I didn’t understand Paul going and not having someone to replace. I honestly think with dufty gone and Paul gone surely that’s 800k space freed meaning we can snag haas. I don’t think Gus is telling everyone the truth that we are tight on cap space lol. Why would he tell the media the truth. Don’t forget we have Stimson gone and some others let’s say that’s another 700k at least. No way in hell we are using all of our cap already. We have had a ton of young crops come through meaning we have spent close to minimum for them

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
My Personal Tip Is that he will be at Belmore next season.

I think the telling factor to gauge if he is leaving the Brocos is if we see him withdrawing from the World Cup to get the off season surgery he requires.

If he doesn't withdraw from the world cup, then my guess would be that he stays with the Broncos next year as he won't care about missing time for them on his current deal.
I don’t have any sources or whatever but I remember mr @ASSASSIN saying some stuff many many months back and I think it might be true haha

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Are they going to match the Super League offer to Vaughan?
They should look at it, sorry things didn't turn out the best.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Are they going to match the Super League offer to Vaughan?
They should look at it, sorry things didn't turn out the best.
no way in hell we let go of Paul and not have a suitable replacement especially with CC looking over our roster… I think something has been done and we won’t know till November.

OldDogFan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
thats why I didn’t understand Paul going and not having someone to replace. I honestly think with dufty gone and Paul gone surely that’s 800k space freed meaning we can snag haas. I don’t think Gus is telling everyone the truth that we are tight on cap space lol. Why would he tell the media the truth. Don’t forget we have Stimson gone and some others let’s say that’s another 700k at least. No way in hell we are using all of our cap already. We have had a ton of young crops come through meaning we have spent close to minimum for them
But how do we know if this is the calculations they used to get both Mahoney and Kikau?

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
But how do we know if this is the calculations they used to get both Mahoney and Kikau?
because that’s why we signed them last year without having dufty leaving and Paul leaving. So if they killed it this year and we’re to keep them, it mean we had to upgrade their deals in which I think we could afford them

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If the ESL wants to improve they need to cut 2 teams and just have 10 all up... there just isn't enough talent to go around.

Same goes for the NRL, we should only have 14 teams.
How many of the players over there are ex nrl ?

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I think we have got some cap space to though not so much cause of Vaughan and dufty that was only ever 1 year deals (sure we got a few months to front load of dufty to) though more so with guys like jmk and hetho not getting their options. Jmk we had to allocate it was his choice not ours. Hethos was neutral so that could also have given us some more room or they may of decided earlier and used that on Sutton.

Kikau and Mahoney clearly ate a lot of cap space no doubt the Stimson and other overpaid flops created that space. Likely also why we let cotric go.

Though the other huge key thing is the cap increase which sounds like well over 1mil. Gus hasn’t allocated that cause he didn’t know that to spend it exactly.

He said earlier we had some wiggle room with some signings to come and guys like Davey and Pele etc are those kind of recruits is what I expect from The left over space.

Letting go of Vaughan who is our best prop this year tells me Gus plan is that whatever space that is left after our new recruits is going with whatever increase in space at a big name prop (hopefully haas) and the other logic might be whoever we part with in the off season allows other choices e.g I could easily see Allen go to dolphins in off season. Didn’t get a game, Wayne loves him etc.

Flanagan to esl or Thompson to.

There’s alot of things there that could play out (might not to)

Though I think if haas is an option this off season that’s our goal. From all the noise this year it appears he clearly wants out. Didn’t look happy. Throw in the fact broncos just fell apart. Might happen.

Reports Gus had a chat. Best mates with tpj etc. parting with Vaughan? Jump. It’s a must for me.

Have to jump on that like we did a 9 in Mahoney and an elite edge backrower like kikau when we could.

No elite fullback or halfback available at moment.

For 24 there could be and we have a bucket of cash.

Again just my theory.

Last edited: