Official Gus on Twitter

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I remember watching a game when he was playing for Newtown and the real star was Blayke Brailey, but all the wraps were going to Flanno.
May be the same game as i have only seen him play once as a junior as well. Was at Leichardt if memory serves.

I don't think he stopped working on his skills, but rather he just dosen't possess them.

He is simply the son of a head coach who was overhyped. Did you ever see Bob Fulton's son play ?

What is surprising is the Roosters and Bulldogs took a chance on a player with such a limited skill set.
There is a genuine belief among experts that he doesn't have what it takes,
I believe he is young and needs to overall his game, maybe the UK is the way to go !

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm not praising Flanno. But before the Roosters signed him and when we signed him there were a hell of a lot of people on here that jizzed over his signature. I only saw him in one juniors game before he played for us and thought the commentary team gave him huge raps for doing nothing. So I guess that whatever potential he showed as a youngster, the fact that his dad was an NRL coach probably meant that he stopped working on skills when he got to a passable level in the lower grades. I still have the feeling that a huge art of his issues now stem from the fact that neither he nor his father think he needs to improve much. Maybe if the coaching staff and Gould can change that line of thought he'll actually take some lessons on board and improve.

But if he's still here as depth this season so be it. Just hope he doesn't impede more promising youngsters.
I was optimistic when we signed him that he would be a good fit. My first impression of him is when he got a run of a few games in first grade at the Sharks (replacing the injured Johnson or Townsend??) and from memory he looked really good.

I remember him laying on a couple of tries, a good short kicking game and a goal kicking sharp shooter and I thought he is playing well enough to keep his spot. He looked very promising

He didn't have the same impact at the Roosters and obviously went downhill fast last season with us

From the outside looking in, after last year, I see him at number 4 in the halfback pecking order

I saw a post yesterday suggesting he should get first crack this year because of the money he is on. I don't agree. That might have happened in the past but not anymore.

For me, the halfback spot is wide open and should go to whoever has trained the hardest and whoever TBaz thinks will compliment our team and more importantly our spine . The players salary shouldn't be one of the criteria

If Flanno is that guy, and earns the spot, good luck to him, and god knows he owes us supporters a string of MOM performances to gain our trust again.

If not, we have an expensive problem on our hands that hopefully Gus will solve

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I was optimistic when we signed him that he would be a good fit. My first impression of him is when he got a run of a few games in first grade at the Sharks (replacing the injured Johnson or Townsend??) and from memory he looked really good.

I remember him laying on a couple of tries, a good short kicking game and a goal kicking sharp shooter and I thought he is playing well enough to keep his spot. He looked very promising

He didn't have the same impact at the Roosters and obviously went downhill fast last season with us

From the outside looking in, after last year, I see him at number 4 in the halfback pecking order

I saw a post yesterday suggesting he should get first crack this year because of the money he is on. I don't agree. That might have happened in the past but not anymore.

For me, the halfback spot is wide open and should go to whoever has trained the hardest and whoever TBaz thinks will compliment our team and more importantly our spine . The players salary shouldn't be one of the criteria

If Flanno is that guy, and earns the spot, good luck to him, and god knows he owes us supporters a string of MOM performances to gain our trust again.

If not, we have an expensive problem on our hands that hopefully Gus will solve
Flanagan looked good at the Sharks (I wanted us to sign him then before he signed with the Roosters) and looked okay at the Roosters. He's looked like one of the worst halves ever to play in the NRL here. Maybe we're underestimating how hard it is to play in one of the worst NRL teams of all time and the pressure someone without a running game is under in that situation (he literally couldn't get the basics right which is all his game is). Every other half at the club looked multiple times better than Flanagan tho. I don't think Flanagan deserves another chance here unless he plays well in reserve grade (we have a good reserve grade team this year, so no excuses there) and Averillo really struggles (which I personally don't think he will, also BBO and Wakeham deserves a shot before him). I personally like a genuine 7 (Panthers model) but when the difference in Averillo and Flanagan is so big you can't consider it. The Storm model, 2 running five-eighths, has also shown to work.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Well that makes no sense on its own, obviously there is more to it than that.

Always a Bulldog
Getting Mahoney early could well be the reason.
Hodgson is 32, will be 33 and a half when Parramatta get him for 2 years in 2023.
I have a feeling if Canberra can strengthen their hooking position they will let him go a year early,
I can't see Parramatta complaining !

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Hodgson is 32, will be 33 and a half when Parramatta get him for 2 years in 2023.
I have a feeling if Canberra can strengthen their hooking position they will let him go a year early,
I feel like it would of happened already by now. The most important time of training/off season is now.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
This is the only logical reason. Hopefully a case that they find out starling is ok and find a decent depth player and we can make this happen.

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
Segayaro has been pictured training with the bulldogs pathways section head of performance coach Gurpreet Singh.

Looks like we are investigating other options at hooker for 22

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Segayaro has been pictured training with the bulldogs pathways section head of performance coach Gurpreet Singh.

Id be very very very surprised.
In fact, i think Segeyaro is banned for a couple of years isnt he? Drugs?

2ndphase

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Is this another Kikau situation!
(Mistaken identity)

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Segeyaro does his own sessions with Coach G. Many players from other clubs do - Franklin Pele (Sharks) Barbuto (Dragons) etc.

He was meant to have a train and trial lined up with us and then got the cold shoulder from the club.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I remember watching a game when he was playing for Newtown and the real star was Blayke Brailey, but all the wraps were going to Flanno.
May be the same game as i have only seen him play once as a junior as well. Was at Leichardt if memory serves.

I don't think he stopped working on his skills, but rather he just dosen't possess them.

He is simply the son of a head coach who was overhyped. Did you ever see Bob Fulton's son play ?

What is surprising is the Roosters and Bulldogs took a chance on a player with such a limited skill set.
My stepson coached against Kyle Flanagan and Blake Brayley in the Sharks junior competition. It was the year they won the Harold Matthews cup, and those 2 went back to their junior club after HM had finished.

I went to the game and came away convinced that Brayley was the more difficult
player to contain, and nothing I have seen since would change my opinion.

They combined pretty well though and in some ways I was hoping Brayley would be our hooker in the future, but we signed Mahoney.

While I haven’t as yet written Flanagan off as a possible nrl half, he has some work to do. As yet I am not convinced about Averillo as our solutio either, but they are our best 2 goal kickers, as I am not aware just what abilities Burton has in that area.

i suspect either Jake or Kyle will get the 7 jersey, because we will not be able to take the risk of giving the role to someone who can’t turn 4 points into 6 at a decent percentage.