Gus on 100% Footy

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Until the last few months really loved Topine, always gave 100% on the field. Struggled a bit in grade, but not necessarily his fault, got played everywhere except his bad position. If it is him hopefully there is a way forward where after sometime off can come back. Seems doubtful though seems things have gone to far and if all of this caused the NRL and Cup teams to fall off a cliff, that will make it even harder to come back from. Just really sad. Still hoping its not him and was Nu Brown or someone else.
I still think it could be resolved if all parties want it to.
Gus, CC and Topine (if him) would have to have a public PR meet up over a coffee and announcement that any misconception has now been cleared up.

Dont know for sure but if everyone had good intensions in the best interests of the club, it is not insurmountable to be resolved.

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could claim duty of care was breached by exposing him to the group wrestle particularly if he had previously flagged underlying mental health concerns and the wrestle had caused him further mental trauma/duress.
Yep. The onus of proof is on the player in that scenario.

You’d hope it doesn’t progress to that stage and if it does, that it it doesn’t play out in the media but you know that senile drunk will be sniffing around like the pleb he is.

A lot of unknowns and I hope it stays that way

Bulldog Brower

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The guy was a good up and comer junior for us so I'm holding full judgement till something more concrete comes out from Gus I guess.

There are some big names in that side.

Bulldog Brower

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
And lots who never went on with it as well. Tough gig to get to first grade.
Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe at that age/stage in their football careers they can get by on natural talent but after that the hard work, dedication & competition from other players vying for the same position is too much. Maybe it’s injuries. Or, as Gorden Tallis said, it’s not for everyone.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe at that age/stage in their football careers they can get by on natural talent but after that the hard work, dedication & competition from other players vying for the same position is too much. Maybe it’s injuries. Or, as Gorden Tallis said, it’s not for everyone.
Combination of all those things you mentioned BB.

J_Cooper

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What’s this extra Goss on Topine? I’m interested to know even if it’s just goss

LoneWolf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Gus, CC and Topine (if him) would have to have a public PR meet up over a coffee and announcement that any misconception has now been cleared up.

Dont know for sure but if everyone had good intensions in the best interests of the club, it is not insurmountable to be resolved.
The only resolution is showing him the way out the door and for those that support or stood up for him to follow suite .

All the sensitive types who feel sorry for the lad and are worried about hurt feelings are completely missing the big picture here .

This is not about an incident about wrestling 100 players or coming late to training , it’s about a rot deeply ingrained in the fabric of the club which allowed a situation like this to rear its head.
If you want to blame anyone , blame the weak ass leadership of RFM who should have pulled topjnes ass aside and whipped it himself like some of our previous captains would have.

You’re a professional fukn athlete and your whole purpose is to prepare the best you can for the 80 minutes on the weekend in one of the toughest sports going around but you have the audacity to have a cry about the training standards because you can’t cope with the intensity and more than likely have come to the realisation you won’t cut it as an NRL footballer

As I said , there is only one direction for these players , out that frikkn door

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
a situation like this
A situation like what?
the audacity to have a cry about the training standards because you can’t cope with the intensity
Who did this?
We're going with the 'Buzz Narrative' as fact, are we? Even though Gus directly denied this ever happened.
Got it. Gould's a liar, Buzz speaks fact.
completely missing the big picture here
Which is what? What part of your "big picture" is everyone missing?
* "Mahoney is Fukn clueless"?
* "Burton is lazy, has no speed, and shit defence"?
* "Kiraz is a park footballer"? [Coaches player of the year, btw]
* "Skelton should be nowhere near first grade"?

Quite the observations there. Arguably sailing straight past the "big picture" we're apparently seeking.

How about...
* Half the roster don't make top 30 from other clubs - other half of roster should not play NRL again"?
- well, that's a large chunk of the 2023 roster you've got circled and written off there. All of it, apparently. Really? Nothing worth salvaging? It's all bad?

That claim's been made in years past too. Plenty of "written-offs" from past rosters doing quite well at other clubs - many of them playing finals football this year. I dare say Averillo will be amongst that group next year as well.

Meanwhile, we'll hang onto Perham, and roll the dice on Blake Taafe, hoping he does not become Ciraldo's version of Corey Allan (I hope he takes the Reece Walsh path instead, but that'd be rolling a "six" *fingers crossed*).

We need a roster augmentation no doubt (two tough-minded props would be awesome - f#ck knows where we get 'em), but throwing it all out (again) - we do it every year - isn't the answer, and absolving the coach (yes, he's a rookie but...) from not getting the best out of what he did have this year isn't the answer either.

As long as Ciraldo's performance is firmly in the crosshairs and he's willing to be honest, make changes to his approach, evolve, and improve then there's a chance to turn it all around. If it's all "lack of player talent", "the players don't want to train hard", "I want to keep selecting my faves", then we're already watching the shittier sequel of Barrett MkII (which will be disastrous because the first one was utter shit).

He showed some promise in the early part of the year, and the roster did too. I hope that wasn't his high water mark.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
No one asks Gus about whether Penrith will win 6 in a row. He makes statements. Have you seen the players he’s bought for next year ? Xerri hasn’t played in 3 years, and a bunch of bench players at other clubs. All u need are decent halves. Burton is a centre not a five eight.
He makes those statements because in reinforces his view and obvious fact, that Panthers are far superior to anyone else due to their development.
Reading between the lines it's his way of saying to everyone in the league that this is what must been done, particularly directed at the hateful Buzz media and Bulldogs fans.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The only resolution is showing him the way out the door and for those that support or stood up for him to follow suite .

All the sensitive types who feel sorry for the lad and are worried about hurt feelings are completely missing the big picture here .

This is not about an incident about wrestling 100 players or coming late to training , it’s about a rot deeply ingrained in the fabric of the club which allowed a situation like this to rear its head.
If you want to blame anyone , blame the weak ass leadership of RFM who should have pulled topjnes ass aside and whipped it himself like some of our previous captains would have.

You’re a professional fukn athlete and your whole purpose is to prepare the best you can for the 80 minutes on the weekend in one of the toughest sports going around but you have the audacity to have a cry about the training standards because you can’t cope with the intensity and more than likely have come to the realisation you won’t cut it as an NRL footballer

As I said , there is only one direction for these players , out that frikkn door
You are venting your spleen on one player for the past several failed years yet you have no idea on the exact circumstances.

Yes sure get rid of the lazy shirkers. None of us want them representing the club. We'll never rid ourselves of the Loser mentality unless we do.

I said it could be resolved "in the best interests of the club" and thats my only concern in this particular case. With what I've heard of most the circumstances around this incident the player accepted the punishment and moved on...but it was a catalyst in leading to further mental welbeing concerns due to other issues. Not my place to elaborate but the club could well be in strife for duty of care IF its true about the possibility of legal action. I personally have no info whether that so called threat is true or not. I certainly hope not but...

That is all I care about. The club not getting further tarnished as fodder for all Murdoch media whether Fox TV or DT and their gossip hound journos, and a situation getting further away from the clubs control and reputational damage like dumbarse reactions like you are spruiking without any real proof.

Let Gus handle it. He knows the full details.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I’m sorry but I would hate to have Phil Gould running my club. Ive heard him say over and over again that Penrith will win 6 premierships in a row. What about his club in 3 years time ? No other boss of a side would ever say that. His recruiting has been insipid. Next year you’ll have a bunch of utility players none of which are match winners. The only decent buy is Crichton. Why dosent Gould chase a decent half back. That position is crucial. Look at Brisbane for example. This year Canterbury broke records . None of which were good. Nearly 800 points conceded ! Conceding 20 points in 12 consecutive matches. Gould is a fraud
Yeah true, we should be looking to the roosters as the leading example of what the most expensive roster in the comp can achieve…………..oh wait

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

The only solution, is a parting of ways

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
The only solution, is a parting of ways
Maybe so in the long run that could be the bestway. I'm just advocating for everyone to leave it will Gus and he knows all thats happened and circumstances. Would rather an amicable end than more hassles.