Gus believe all Melbourne Storm premierships count.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm interested as to what your proposal was?

The English Premier League does a home grown quota by having a certain amount of home grown players that need to be in the squad. Realistically though it's not the most efficient system; they get around it by usually filling up the bottom of their roster with a bunch of cheap, english players that will never get anywhere near the first team. Also as you mentioned, teams with huge catchment areas like Brisbane would be at a huge advantage whilst the Sydney clubs would struggle.
Local Juniors Zero Points. Eg Averillo.

Juniors from outside your district who have not played for an NRL club. 1 point. Eg The Mortimer's.
While ever zero or 1 point players stay where they start their points never increase.

Journey men players who have played NRL at another club. 2 points. Eg Hopoate.

Higher Points categories.
State of Origin Players who have played for more than 1 NRL club 3 points. Eg Ennis.

International Players who have played for more than one NRL club. 4 points.Eg Thurston, The Morris twins.

Once a player leaves his original club and later returns his higher points still count. Eg Justin Hodges.

Players who have retired from rep football and are ranked at 3 or 4 points can apply for a
re-classification to 2 points.

Points limit 55 for 30 players although I would not have a problem if it was slightly higher.

Bottom line find em you have the best chance of keeping them. Once you get close to the points limit by buying high class rep players you have no choice but to develop the young players you find.

Another bottom line is the system is transparent and i doubt the NRL want transparency.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
LOL Gus knows whats coming at penriff and he's padding the fall

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Local Juniors Zero Points. Eg Averillo.

Juniors from outside your district who have not played for an NRL club. 1 point. Eg The Mortimer's.
While ever zero or 1 point players stay where they start their points never increase.

Journey men players who have played NRL at another club. 2 points. Eg Hopoate.

Higher Points categories.
State of Origin Players who have played for more than 1 NRL club 3 points. Eg Ennis.

International Players who have played for more than one NRL club. 4 points.Eg Thurston, The Morris twins.

Once a player leaves his original club and later returns his higher points still count. Eg Justin Hodges.

Players who have retired from rep football and are ranked at 3 or 4 points can apply for a
re-classification to 2 points.

Points limit 55 for 30 players although I would not have a problem if it was slightly higher.

Bottom line find em you have the best chance of keeping them. Once you get close to the points limit by buying high class rep players you have no choice but to develop the young players you find.

Another bottom line is the system is transparent and i doubt the NRL want transparency.
Using your points allocation how does Penrith rate? The Chooks? Melbourne? Us?

Just quickly I added up 2020 Penrith (lots of guesses) and they can fit 2 more Internationals. Us on the other hand, we are full, with the problem being the 4 years where we let the pathways slip. Basically it would take us another 4 years to recover.

Wouldn’t Hopoate be 4 points, he’s played SOO and International for Tonga?

The problem with the points system is not over the long term, 10 + years, it would possibly work. But the short term 3 to 5 years while the transition happens would be horrible.

Go Dogs

Last edited:

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Using your points allocation how does Penrith rate? The Chooks? Melbourne? Us?

Just quickly I added up 2020 Penrith (lots of guesses) and they can fit 2 more Internationals. Us on the other hand, we are full, with the problem being the 4 years where we let the pathways slip. Basically it would take us another 4 years to recover.

Wouldn’t Hopoate be 4 points, he’s played SOO and International for Tonga?

The problem with the points system is not over the long term, 10 + years, it would possibly work. But the short term 3 to 5 years while the transition happens would be horrible.

Go Dogs
When I sent this to the NRL I suggested to them to use the Salary Cap as a transition and give clubs 3 years to get in line.I forgot hopoate had played origin and for Tonga.

As I said earlier though I have never received a reply and I doubt the NRL want transparency. Best to keep the fans in the dark so they don't catch us out.

I suspect Melbourne and Penrith would fit under the limit. Bulldogs probably not because as you say junior development has been neglected since about 2013. Chooks would struggle with their imports but are not as top heavy with imports as they once were. Tedesco Tupou Cordner JWH Keary Friend all on big points. 2 x Morris could apply for exemptions.

Whatever system is in play it is a restraint of trade and thus challengeable in court. It does surprise me that no one has challenged the Salary Cap as the draft was challenged in the 90's.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
When I sent this to the NRL I suggested to them to use the Salary Cap as a transition and give clubs 3 years to get in line.I forgot hopoate had played origin and for Tonga.

As I said earlier though I have never received a reply and I doubt the NRL want transparency. Best to keep the fans in the dark so they don't catch us out.

I suspect Melbourne and Penrith would fit under the limit. Bulldogs probably not because as you say junior development has been neglected since about 2013. Chooks would struggle with their imports but are not as top heavy with imports as they once were. Tedesco Tupou Cordner JWH Keary Friend all on big points. 2 x Morris could apply for exemptions.

Whatever system is in play it is a restraint of trade and thus challengeable in court. It does surprise me that no one has challenged the Salary Cap as the draft was challenged in the 90's.
From memory (always risky), the RLPA chose the Salary Cap over Transfer Fees/Windows and the Draft. The selling point was preventing clubs from folding due to excessive spending on players. The usual job security versus pay argument, it was voted on, so hard to backtrack.

Go Dogs

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So he says money doesn't make them better players, yet forgets to mention that those players wouldn't be playing together if they didn't cheat
They just made brenko lee more successful than josh jackson. Sour grapes much ? Storms system would win a comp with half the cap. 10 years later u still blaming there cap for kicking the comps arse. Crazy thinking, there just so much better chump

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
They just made brenko lee more successful than josh jackson. Sour grapes much ? Storms system would win a comp with half the cap. 10 years later u still blaming there cap for kicking the comps arse. Crazy thinking, there just so much better chump
Could you come up with a dumber reply? The storm cheated the cap and won 2 comps by rorting the cap. This is factual information that you cannot deny.
But but Brenko Lee was centre when they won in 2020 so he's had a better career than Josh Jackson.... What a moronic statement to make

Last edited:

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If that’s the case why rob us of all our points in 2002 and just let us play....
Yes please give the 2002 premiership to us. We would have beaten the roosters (beat them pretty convincingly in normal rounds) and look at the roster difference from 2002-2004 not really huge massive top dollar signings

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
More MVP's than they were entitled to ?
Doesn't count as a legit Premiership.