Greenberg in hard sell for the kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Godberts Cuz

Source: http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,24581206-5001023,00.html

Greenberg in hard sell for the kids

BEFORE his star player fled, before his major sponsor deserted, before his wooden spoon arrived . . . Bulldogs boss Todd Greenberg hit an all-time low.

Just three months into the NRL's toughest gig, Greenberg discovered the truth about the club he had been appointed to lead.

It was the moment he learned the Bulldogs were a busted commodity, a broken brand and basket case everywhere else but Belmore.

These were the uncomfortable but prevailing outside views that his predecessors chose to continually dismiss as distorted perceptions.

But on this fateful early July morning, Greenberg became the first CEO to accept them as reality.

What choice did he really have? Seated across the boardroom table at Camp Quality's headquarters in Epping was the charity's CEO, Simon Rowntree.

The face of one of Australia's most respected organisations, Rowntree gave it to Greenberg straight. The Bulldogs were pitching an unprecedented opportunity for Camp Quality to gain exposure everywhere the club went - from their jerseys to their letterheads - and Rowntree replied: "Thanks, but no thanks."

Recalling the startling response this week, Greenberg said: "I was talking about how we'd like to align Camp Quality with the Bulldogs, give them millions of dollars worth of free exposure and help out.

"I'd only been going for about 10 minutes when (Simon) said he wasn't interested.

"I was shocked.

"They explained that their brand was very important. They had to be very careful about who they aligned with and there were concerns about not only the Bulldogs, but the NRL more generally. They didn't feel it was a good fit.

"It was right then that the reality hit home that I was in charge of an organisation that needed some significant repairs to its brand.

"Camp Quality was just like anyone else. They had formed an opinion from outside looking in."

And it was at that precise moment Greenberg became a converted believer in the credo, "Perception is reality". Bulldogs insiders might know the real story, but if an outsider with the goodwill stature of Rowntree - a man whose life is devoted to helping kids with cancer - is convinced otherwise, then the situation simply could not be neglected any longer.

"We can't lie to ourselves any longer - perception is reality," Greenberg says. "People's perceptions about the club need to change and the only ones that can do that are us.

"Once you talk to members and sponsors, you realise people are still concerned about the salary cap stuff and the off-field incidents. The club has had 73 years of great tradition, but the past seven or eight have tarnished our image. I'll admit that when I took the role I underestimated the amount of work needed."

Through his work with terminally ill children and their families, Rowntree understands that acceptance is the key to change. And he was impressed with how Greenberg accepted Camp Quality's concerns and then went about changing them.

"Todd walked the talk," Rowntree said. "He didn't leave that first meeting until he convinced us to at least give him a chance to show us the Bulldogs were genuine."

As Rowntree conducted his own due diligence on the club, Greenberg worked behind the scenes to open the doors to key Camp Quality personnel. Even when Sonny Bill Williams walked out and major sponsor Mitsubishi Electric signed off, he still found time to argue his case. At the Bulldogs' final game in Canberra, the rookie CEO hosted a group of the charity's executives in a private box with the players' families. A week later, Rowntree told him Camp Quality had undergone a change of heart. His answer was now "yes".

"I didn't so much baulk at what the Bulldogs were offering, but our brand is very important because we have been nominated as one of Australia's top five charities," Rowntree said.

"Sometimes players can put rugby league in a bad light depending on what they do off the field. We did a lot of homework on the Bulldogs and Todd behind the scenes to determine whether they were serious about this change.

"Everyone we spoke to vouched for them - it was clear this was not just another glossy PowerPoint presentation.

"We are now very comfortable with the alignment and excited about starting work with their players and staff."

Over the coming months, every Bulldogs player will complete induction workshops with Camp Quality professionals - the same seminars used to help distressed families think positively about their ordeals.

"We are all about learned optimism and making the most of now," Rowntree says.

"The workshops will teach the Bulldogs to think positive in a number of ways, right down to the language they use."

After graduating, each player will then be "buddied up" with a sick child, whom it is expected they will accompany on camps and visit outside their football commitments.

Senior Bulldogs star Luke Patten said the players were consulted on their choice of charity. "Kids with cancer was popular, but I had no idea it would end up on the jersey - hopefully the exposure can help them and they can help us learn about the kids," the fullback said.

"I can definitely relate to the perceptions Todd is talking about. When I got here (in 2002) the Bulldogs' image was pretty strong, but it's been frustrating over the past couple of years with everything that's happened.

"It's actually gotten to the point that when people find out we're Bulldogs players they don't want to talk to us.

"I think we can start to change the perception this year. It will probably take a few seasons and working with Camp Quality stuff is a good start."

In return, the Bulldogs will feature the Camp Quality insignia on their jerseys in a selected match this year and, Greenberg promises: "On the right-hand side of our club logo everywhere it appears - on the letterhead, the scoreboard, wherever."

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ok.. I get it. They have hooked up with Camp Quality. Why does it take so many threads?

B

Ben Godberts

Greenberg is a business god, straight out of the textbook, i love his work

Wyzguy

Bulldog Tragic
Reaction score
the clubs tarnished image was candidly discussed at the member's forum. It was very confronting to hear the reality from todd g and dirk melton....hopefully this will help us get a good corporate sponsor...

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Greenberg is a business god, straight out of the textbook, i love his work
my take on greeny is he is actually very prepared to go outside of the box as well

very pleased with the efforts by the whole administration, especially the last 6 months

:beerchug:

gregh23

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think this is a fantastic bit of initiative from the club and full credit to Camp Quality for at least keeping an open mind on the club.

It is amazing though how on field success can cover the cracks. The period of our image being tarnished began in 2002 and hopefully ended in September 2008. During that time, we were generally very successful on the field. I live in Melbourne and people obviously know the Storm well but if I have a conversation with anyone, they know the Bulldogs and I usually get asked the question "Why do you go for such a horrible club"? Lets hope those days are over.

=Sarah=

Long live MJ
Reaction score
wow thats pretty bad when a charity doesnt want help from the dogs... eep.

Keefy

The Family Club
Reaction score
wow thats pretty bad when a charity doesnt want help from the dogs... eep.
Yep we basically had to beg them, now you know why we are stuggling big time to find a major sponser.

shaun5150

Kennel Established
Reaction score
This is a great result. On two fronts.
It helps "Camp Quality" get what they need in regards to exposure. Plus it helps out players learn about responablity, how lucky they are keeps them busy, less time maybe for playing up.
This is such a great thing for the club, and once again shows how the Canterbury-Bankston bulldogs is the one and only family club.
Such a great move.
Well done Big Todd.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
im definately lookin forward to the future...we have set ourselves up really well imo

Status
Not open for further replies.