graham to hospitalise burgess AGAIN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rottie

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
SAM Burgess found himself in hospital after his last-up Battle of Britain against James Graham, who busted the ribs of his English rival with a thunderous hit off the ball.

Ahead of Sunday’s final battle between the NRL’s most competitive compatriots, The Daily Telegraph can reveal Rabbitohs officials feared Graham had broken Burgess’s ribs in their Round 25 stoush at ANZ Stadium.

In extreme discomfort after full-time, Burgess was immediately taken to hospital for a CAT scan. The results showed no break to his ribs, but Burgess this week admitted the pounding “rocked me for a while” and took around a month to fully recover.

South Sydney officials had also decided to rule him out for final round blockbuster against the Roosters, which also loomed as the minor premiership decider.

Burgess and Graham share a joke at the NRL Grand Final lunch. Source: News Corp Australia

But in a demonstration of his toughness and resolve, Burgess demanded to play. The UK rugby-bound enforcer has since admitted the rib injury should have been given one or two weeks rest, a sabbatical he would have taken had Graham inflicted the damage earlier in the season.

“I would’ve rested it, yeah,” Burgess told The Daily Telegraph. “One week might have done it, two weeks maybe.

“I was pretty knackered after that (Bulldogs) game. It rocked me for a while,” Burgess said.

“It knocked me about and for four weeks I was struggling. I think it was Round 25 and I played the following week (against the Roosters).

“We got the week off in the finals and that’s what I was looking for. I’m pretty much recovered now.”

FIVE REASONS YOUR TEAM WILL WIN THE GF

Rabbitohs prop Sam Burgess relaxed and ready

This video is no longer available

Graham struck the Burgess after he passed the ball in the 25th minute, forcing the Rabbitohs hardpan to the turf in agony. Burgess soldiered on until just after half-time, when he was replaced for 13 minutes. He returned to help Souths grab the lead late and hang on for victory.

“I got caught in my ribs off Jamma (Graham) and that rattled me a bit,” he said.

“They got me in some soft sports. That’s just football. I don’t think they were targeting me.”

While difficult, Burgess described the feat of slogging through the pain as character building.

“I’m thankful for getting through the process,” he said. “It shows you what you can get through physically and mentally.

“The opportunity was too good to miss. We were playing the Roosters at Allianz Stadium. There was a lot on the line and it’s my last season. You learn a lot about yourself physically.”

Burgess was left hurting after a big hit from Graham. Source: News Corp Australia

BURGESS AND TE’O MAKE PERFECT PARTNERS

Backrow partner and housemate Ben Te’o had a front-row seat to Burgess’s discomfort, and marvelled at how he continued.

“Sometimes you see him walking around and think, ‘I can’t see how this guy is going to play’,” Te’o said.

“Sam is a special guy. I haven’t played with many like him. Sometimes you think his gone, he’s absolutely spent. Then there will be a moment and he’ll come back, like he’s coming back from the dead.

“You wonder how he can do it. If there’s a competition or a confrontation, he’ll finds way to do it.”

Burgess’s last meeting with Graham is being touted as the ultimate personal duel, despite both players doing their best to talk-up mutual respect.

“I don’t look for personal battles,” Burgess said. “In the past I did. The competitive edge spilt over. But I’ve learned to take care of that now.”

mearsey

panania raised
Reaction score
What players both guys are , thought Burgess was busted that night - but he just kept coming back . Great to know Bupa got him though

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Watching inglis play rd 26 looked like he copped it too.. Haha

Status
Not open for further replies.