Graham: The players let Des Hasler down

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Graham: The players let Des Hasler down

http://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/rugb...ler-down/ar-AAscW8J?li=AA54yd&ocid=spartandhp

Former Canterbury skipper James Graham refuses to let recently sacked Bulldogs coach Des Hasler wear all the blame for the club's fall from grace, declaring that the playing group needs to take responsibility as well.

Hasler was informed by Canterbury chairman Ray Dib on Tuesday that the club was looking in a new direction and needed to seperate in order to turn their premiership hopes around.

Despite signing a two-year extension in April, the Bulldogs board felt it was in the club's best interest to take a new road - a move that will reportedly cost them a $600,000 payout.

Graham won't leave his former coach hang out to dry, admitting himself and the playing group weren't up to standard and played a part in an appalling year of results.

''As a captain, as part of the playing group, we've got to bear some of that. I do feel that we've probably let Des down a little bit,'' Graham told Fox Sports' NRL 360.

Graham thought the storm had calmed those many months ago when Hasler put pen to paper on a new deal, but the wind kept blowing as the losses began to tally up.

''It's shocking that it feels real now,'' he said.

''I guess the speculation around Des Hasler's future has been very public for a few years. I thought it was put to bed in April when the two year extension was signed, but it seemed to perpetuate.''

Hasler's shaping of the Bulldogs' culture came into question in his last year at the club as they fell as low as 14th on the NRL ladder, with a lucky win against the Knights providing a brief moment of happiness in a bleak period for Canterbury.

Asked what the term 'Bulldogs culture' meant to Graham, the Englishman said it was results based: ''It's winning football games, it's winning premierships.''

The Dragons-bound prop wants fans to remember the success Hasler brought to the club before his head was on the chopping block and paid tribute to his devoted mentor.

''You didn't hear of these problems in 2012 when he first came in, it was 'it's a breath of fresh air, we've made the right decision'. Let's not forget what the club went through to get Des there,'' he said.

''...I regard Des highly and I will personally be forever indebted to him for his dedication to better me both a man and as a footballer.

''As I said I've only just recently found out, I haven't spoken to any teammates about this and I don't want to speak on their behalf but for me personally I think he took me to my footballing limits and he took a lot of those boys to their footballing limits just with everything across the board.

''It's difficult for me to articulate how I'm sort of feeling at the moment. Obviously I'm not apart of the club for next year so that adds a little bit more to it. But I just wanted to go on record to paying that tribute to Des.''

-- ----- - -- - - - -- - - --

Wow is it possible that even Sir Graham didn't even understand our culture, Asked what the term 'Bulldogs culture' meant to Graham, the Englishman said it was results based: ''It's winning football games, it's winning premierships.''

Unless I am completely wrong and alone on this I thought our culture had been built on hard work where we battle to the end and even if we are behind there is always a chance of us completing the comeback. A culture based on smashing brutal defence from the "dogs of war" mixed in with exciting attack from "the entertainers". We are known for fitness and toughness and if something goes wrong than we circle wagons and show everyone why we are so good. We are known for goalkickers and we are know as family. We are known for playing footy 100% win or loss.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stop making excuses James, just call a spade a spade, you won't get dropped!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
He really was. Look at our past captains
His onfield conduct was garbage and he was nothing more than the perfect mouthpiece for Hasler.

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
not a good captain, yelling and creaming at your team before a game isn't good leadership... see you later James.

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
They don't have a fucking clue what our culture was all about.
Useless *****.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
We just took it for granted that because he plays "bulldogs like" that he knew what it meant but obviously not!

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I was watching this on NRL 360 last night and you could see that Graham was pausing a lot between what he was saying, he was choosing his words very delicately. He was thinking so hard what to say, that his eyes were going to pop out of his head cause he was worried not to say the wrong thing.....he even said "I want to go on record and say that Des was a great coach!"
You have to read between the lines here. He couldn't say anything like Lichaa cause he was the Captain and Graham is held in high regard as a senior player.
This comment told me everything with the last two words being the main ones

"I do feel that we've probably let Des down a little bit,''

If Graham was so adamant that Des' tactics and coaching worked, he wouldn't have used those last two words!

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So in other words.... 'Des looked after all us senior blokes and put us on massive overs so i will forever be greatful for him lining my pockets with cash.'

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
So the Coach didn't know our culture, the captain didn't know...no fukin wonder we all noticed it. I am more certain now than ever that the next coach MUST be a bulldogs man otherwise it's all gone!

N

Natboy

Graham let us down once he let Raelene neuter him after Good Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.