Gould's off season review

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattO

Rocky Power
Reaction score
Ozman, I can't see where any of what Gould said was off the mark.

We do need more players to compete better, and that likely won't happen but we are still weak in the front row with depth, 5/8th is a huge question mark as are other areas.

Like he said we do need a change of attitude from years past. It seems that will be the case this year but again, like Gus said, only time will tell with evidence on the field and not in the pre season.
Ozman doesn't talk about Gould putting the club into the gutter. Ozman got banned for a comment like that elsewhere in town.

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
The dogs have the cattle and watch a lot of the young boys coming through will step up with the guidance of the experienced players we have and i doubt injuries wont be as horrific this year...

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
He is right - but isn't he contradicting himself with this statement?

The bringing of leadership, creativity, speed and work ethic into the club (as a result of our buys) speaks for itself that we are going to have a change in attitude.

I think the proper statement he should be making is whether the change of attitude will be a positive or negative influence - which is a no brainer really.

Allan

Man of Steel
Reaction score
If you have to write only a few lines on the year's prospects for each club then I think that Gould's summary is an excellent one. He was much harder on the Tigers and Rabbitohs than the Dogs. I think he made a realistic assessment of our chances for 2009.

The Dogs have bought well on paper. We have been by far the most active club in the market but we haven't bought an entire team. There are clear risks. We need players to step up who last year were ordinary at best. We all expect that they will but a commentator has to call it as he sees it.

Last year a lot of players still in our team showed nothing: Koups, Te Maari, Holdsworth, Roberts, Armit, Morrin etc. If they play like that again this year we will not have a good year. For us to get into the final four these players need to be not just ok but at fringe SOO standard at least. Which of these players was pressing for selection last year? The top teams seem to have the entire team pushing the selectors. Can anyone see Armit's form at that level?

That will require some massive adjustments on their part. Well spoken Gould and lets hope our players read your column and act upon it.

zappa

Punk in Drublic
Reaction score
As much as I can't stand ' a thousand bee stings', he's pretty on the money here.

C

chipandchase

i think he was spot on with most of his comments for all teams.
i think this saturday, even though it is a trial, will be most interesting. considering the dragons look like being at full strength and also the dogs.

B

Ben Godberts

Gould is the smartest man in rugby league. Lol at you plebs trying to argue with him

Duffman25

Grimaldi's no.1 fan
Reaction score
lol gould is a fat douche, he's hasnt been great to us over recent years but he's no rebecca wilson (even she maybe letting up). Although he was seen having lunch with greenberg and moore, maybe with folkes gone gould is taking an interest in the dogs again. Id rather he be friends with the dogs instead of trying to recruit for the roosters.

The Old Bulldog

Waterboy
Reaction score
Gould did not say that the Bulldogs don't have the players to do things right on the field. What he did say was that the Bulldogs attitude has to change otherwise it doesn't matter what players you have on the field..ask Parramatta.
I have been following the Bulldogs for over 40 years and I must say I have never been as excited as this year for the season to start. The worst is behind us..the best is yet to come.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cronulla
The Sharks scored fewer tries than any team in the NRL last season but still finished in the top three. They have bought only four players for 2009, but have a look at them - they are top-quality footballers and all have great attacking ability. No matter which way you look at it, the Sharks' roster has improved and they should surely challenge for the title.

In dont think Cronullas roster has improved too much? They lost Kimmorley, De Gois and Greg Bird

Signed Barret from UK, Tupou, Reni and Hughes

I cant see Sharks challenging for the title

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
i'll say the famous words...

MARK MY WORDS, Cronulla will not make the top 8

doctr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I dislike the man greatly, but he is right. About all the clubs though he was spot on. Interesting Season coming up

Allan

Man of Steel
Reaction score
Stuart is an excellent coach. He normally only has one trick up his sleeve at a time. When he left us for the Roosters he almost invented the gang tackle under the 10 metre rule. Over time referees caught on to the fact that his players were jumping early and laying all over the tackled player. Other teams started to rush out of dummy half on consecutive tackles making it harder to gain yards through defence.

Stuart was never able to adjust partly because he had recruited players who could run and tackle at full speed for the entire game but had no attack in them. Today he still hasn't fully adjusted but he has bought some attacking players. I don't think the Sharks have a lot of money but if (and its an if) Barrett comes back ok from the UK, Corey won't let him down and the Sharks will be competitive. Can't see them as top 4 material though.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
:roflol: owned

Status
Not open for further replies.