Goodbye my Idris, Goodbye Nathan Friend…

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBDog

In the Zone
Reaction score
We were talking before, and I mentioned Barba. I'm not 100% sure but I'm certain he's off contract next season and while we didn't want Idris gone, the amount of money we were offering him could have been deadly in terms of keeping/losing Barba.

I know no one has mentioned Barba but we need to put things into perspective here. If you had a choice between keeping a centre with potential or a fullback with massive potential, which one are you going to keep? Which position is more important? Which position is vital in actually winning a grand final?

What if we did re-sign Idris at that ridiculous 380K a season and we lost Barba the very next season? Who's to blame for that?

Like I said before, we, Anna and I, didn't want Idris gone at all costs but to throw that kind of money at a centre, especially when your fullback is off contract next season is just plain stupid and would have undone pretty much all of the good work, in terms of recruitment and retention, Todd Greenberg has done for us. He was willing to pay overs (assuming the 380K was correct) but he made the smart decision in not paying anywhere near the brain dead price Titans did.

People need to remember that and understand the team's priorities.
Re question concerning Barba and Idris. Barba would be my pick. this is his first year in FG in the full back position. His confidence is growing every game and couple that with
the other 12 in front of him gelling and firing on all cylinders ,which is going to come sooner than later he will be a revelation in that position. Extend his contract now. We dont want to see him with Idris at Titans taking Campbells spot.

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hahahaha she meant she's prettier than me. (She isn't. Ask anyone)
She is a very good looking girl, but she is dreaming if she thinks she is prettier than you.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Exactly. Then you look at the Titans. They've got Prince - who is a great player - but he can't do it on his own. Preston is great but nearing the end of his career.

We are SO lucky we were able to replace Patten with Barba. I can see Barba growing into a class fullback and completely owning the position. He is going to be a massive signing priority in the future.

Also, I know Idris is worth a lot in terms of marketing - but so is winning a grand final.
I'm amazed they were so willing to let go of one of THE best, hardest working hookers in the game so easily when he all but publicly said "I'm leaving for more money" and then they go and throw everything, including the kitchen sink, at a centre.

And spare me the "He's the future Australian captain" garbage. Try to cement a spot in the NSW team before we talk about even being nominated for the Kangaroos let alone captaining them....

Talk about blowing smoke up someone's ass!

Barba is already an asset for us and will only get better and better with more experience. He's already showing great signs of a brilliant fullback. His positioning, his direction (Pay attention at the games and you will see him talking and directing) and his support play is starting to improve.

And I don't really buy this whole "marketing" business. I know the more money you can make for your club, the better but we've always been blessed in terms of we've never struggled. We're one of the richest clubs in Australia and never had trouble with money in any department. So we don't need to rely on players for money in the bank.

Did my blog have you at sixes and sevens?
It did. I needed my forwards to go forward. I want to emulate Billy Slater. Rumour has it I need to be fit, though? Is that true?

If I score the first try I will play from in front, too.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Great read and I agree with everything you said Anna
Surely not the part where she said she's prettier than me?!

Re question concerning Barba and Idris. Barba would be my pick. this is his first year in FG in the full back position. His confidence is growing every game and couple that with
the other 12 in front of him gelling and firing on all cylinders ,which is going to come sooner than later he will be a revelation in that position. Extend his contract now. We dont want to see him with Idris at Titans taking Campbells spot.
Mate, anyone would take a gun fullback over a gun centre.

Look at News Ltd Storm. When they got exposed and had to lose one of their top 4, who did they release without hesitation? Their Fullback? Their Halfback? Their Hooker? It was no contest to release the centre, the world's best centre, too!

Priorities. It's all about priorities.

She is a very good looking girl, but she is dreaming if she thinks she is prettier than you.
Right?! Thank you, Bry!

suiker

Top bird
Reaction score
It did. I needed my forwards to go forward. I want to emulate Billy Slater. Rumour has it I need to be fit, though? Is that true?

If I score the first try I will play from in front, too.
Would you really like to score before halftime too? I only do sometimes tbh.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Would you really like to score before halftime too? I only do sometimes tbh.
TBH, I'm pretty tired from making numerous copybook tackles. I am a footballer after all.

The Greatest

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good Article Anna, I sent it to Barba, waiting on the reponse..

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
anna for mod

good read btw. enjoyed it muchly

Status
Not open for further replies.