Going to Singapore

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
@steeliz

You will need a MRT card for the trains & buses. They cost $10, that includes $5 on the card. Cards can be topped up at most train stations. Cards can be bought at 7/11's

I have 2, with about $4.22 on each them that you can have. IF you want them. PM me your PO office box number & I can send them 2 you, free of charge. Both are adult ones.

View attachment 97249

You need a good pair of walking shoes. Over the 8 odd days, I walked about 113kms. (Most was walking from one MRT platform to another.) lol

The trains have no drivers. And the trains pull up right up at the doors. It's the quick or the dead getting on & off the train. (I preferred the trains over the buses. (Heaps quicker. If you miss a train, you only have to wait the most 7 minutes.

If you need a cab, your hotel etc can call them & the driver gives you the amount it will cost, like an uber. (But not as expensive)

If you get a cab from the street, ask the driver approximately what the fare will be.
Hi Would love the cards if possible but you are in Brisbane and I am is Sydney so not sure how much that would cost you. (Haven't sent mail in many years.) Happy to pay for the postage.

We are firstly going to Borneo and then doing a cruise around SE Asia before spending the last 6 nights in Singapore.

I will definitely need a new pair of shoes after that

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hi Would love the cards if possible but you are in Brisbane and I am is Sydney so not sure how much that would cost you. (Haven't sent mail in many years.) Happy to pay for the postage.

We are firstly going to Borneo and then doing a cruise around SE Asia before spending the last 6 nights in Singapore.

I will definitely need a new pair of shoes after that
I am only kind to one person a year & you my friend are the lucky one. hahaha

I will pay for the postage, it won't be that dear. (PM me your PO box details & I will send them off ASAP.) I think the cards have about $4, could be wrong, but topping up is easy as. (Train staff can help you)

What Cruise line you going with, if it's not a rude question.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I am only kind to one person a year & you my friend are the lucky one. hahaha

I will pay for the postage, it won't be that dear. (PM me your PO box details & I will send them off ASAP.) I think the cards have about $4, could be wrong, but topping up is easy as. (Train staff can help you)

What Cruise line you going with, if it's not a rude question.
Thank you.

We are going with Princess on the Diamond Princess.

We are in desperate need of a good holiday.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thank you.

We are going with Princess on the Diamond Princess.

We are in desperate need of a good holiday.
Diamond Princess is a great ship.

After the cruise etc, your partner will never want to cook again, after being waited on hand & foot.

As soon as you board etc, go to reception & tell them to cancel the gratuities otherwise they will slug you at least $12 a night. You decide how much to tip the cabin person & restaurant waiter, on the last night. Never give in advance as sometimes they slacken off.

Last edited:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
We are firstly going to Borneo
Where? Malaysia? Indonesia?
I’ve spent plenty of time in Brunei over the years (work stuff) but when on Borneo would escape to Miri or Kota Kinabalu if I wasn’t going to Singers or KL for a weekend. Great part of the world.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Where? Malaysia? Indonesia?
I’ve spent plenty of time in Brunei over the years (work stuff) but when on Borneo would escape to Miri or Kota Kinabalu if I wasn’t going to Singers or KL for a weekend. Great part of the world.
It looks beautiful.

It has been a bucketlist place for my wife and I.

We were meant to go about 6 years ago but the Mother-in-law got sick so we cancelled everything.

Flying into Kota Kinabalu and then heading east.

Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Flying into Kota Kinabalu and then heading east.
Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
If flying into KK, slip over into Sabah to see Orangutans in the wild - that’s pretty cool and there’s many more in Sabah than Sarawak.

Brunei is pretty quiet - an oil and gas rich but dry Islamic state - though non-Muslims can take some booze in. My home there was the Empire Hotel and Country Club - I once checked in there to a big fruit basket that said ‘Welcome back for your 50th stay’ :-).

Food is great and cheap all over - Satay, Noodles, Seafood (try the fish head curry), you name it.

Rainforest, Ocean, whatever your flavourlargely unspoiled. English widely spoken, friendly locals.

You’ll have a great time - enjoy it.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
@steeliz

Been lazy. Here is my take on Chili Crab & KEK seafood restaurant

OMG: If I could I would eat it every day.

You are given a bib & gloves

I also ordered the fried rice. Where I went they weren't upselling. And was told that was enough. :tearsofjoy:

If you are wanting a 5 star restaurant this isn't the place for you. Maybe https://www.jumboseafood.com.sg/en/home

Restaurant seemed like it was in an industrial area. Talking to the manager & he was saying before covid that they never home delivered but to survive had to start. The amount of deliveries are unreal. (Lucky for you I never got a photo.)

The bill as you you can see was 104.60, which worked out to be about $120 aud.

It was the best meal I had in Singapore. Best advice I can give is, don't wear your good clothes, as you are bound to get chili etc on them.

I ordered a cab to get there & take me back. (bit of a wait getting cab to take me back. Mainly cause it was raining)

Attachments

Last edited:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
@steeliz

Been lazy. Here is my take on Chili Crab & KEK seafood restaurant

OMG: If I could I would eat it every day.

You are given a bib & gloves

I also ordered the fried rice. Where I went they weren't upselling. And was told that was enough. :tearsofjoy:

If you are wanting a 5 star restaurant this isn't the place for you. Maybe https://www.jumboseafood.com.sg/en/home

Restaurant seemed like it was in an industrial area. Talking to the manager & he was saying before covid that they never home delivered but to survive had to start. The amount of deliveries are unreal. (Lucky for you I never got a photo.)

The bill as you you can see was 104.60, which worked out to be about $120 aud.

It was the best meal I had in Singapore. Best advice I can give is, don't wear your good clothes, as you are bound to get chili etc on them.

I ordered a cab to get there & take me back. (bit of a wait getting cab to take me back. Mainly cause it was raining)
I'd forgotten about the decor choices in some restaurants over there. Nothing wrong with them, but not typical of the chairs you'd sit in for a $105 meal in Australia.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'd forgotten about the decor choices in some restaurants over there. Nothing wrong with them, but not typical of the chairs you'd sit in for a $105 meal in Australia.
I know which restaurant I prefer. haha