Opinion Goal Kicking the difference!

BULLDOGGSFAN

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If Matt Burton kicks those conversions against the Storm we either win the game or go into golden point.

Whenever he takes a conversion attempt I just assume he’s going to miss it.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Considering we’re probably not gonna blow a lot of sides away and will be playing in some tight games it would be nice to go up by sixes instead of fours.

Makes me miss Rhyse Martin, Hazem El Masri and Daryl Haligan!

For the people saying we’re no chance this season just consider we led one of the best and most consistent teams in the comp with 5 minutes to go.

The Storm are a team that many experts have short odds to win the comp and every year are locks to finish top four.

We were 3 tries each (same as against the bunnies) but the difference was Meaney had 2/3 conversions and Matt had 1/3.

So 16 -14 score line in the end.

Can Chricton kick a goal? Or anyone else? I’ve just got no confidence in Burto…

alwaysthesun

Kennel Established
Reaction score
His kicking from the left ain't real good and is something that they'll need to do some serious work on, because even if one goes over that's more pressure on Melbourne and Golden Point at worst.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
His kicking from the left ain't real good and is something that they'll need to do some serious work on, because even if one goes over that's more pressure on Melbourne and Golden Point at worst.
We hope to be in a lot more close games. Goalkicking is crucial.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Could also argue that the general kicking game was the biggest difference - kicking on the fourth giving Melbourne field position, Hutchison getting tackled on fifth n thus making it easier for Melbourne to pressure Burton and Burton unable to kick to the corners consistently gave Melbourne opportunities.

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Matt Burton kicks those conversions against the Storm we either win the game or go into golden point.

Considering we’re probably not gonna blow a lot of sides away and will be playing in some tight games it would be nice to go up by sixes instead of fours.

For the people saying we’re no chance this season just consider we led one of the best and most consistent teams in the comp with 5 minutes to go.

The Storm are a team that many experts have short odds to win the comp and every year are locks to finish top four.

We were 3 tries each (same as against the bunnies) but the difference was Meaney had 2/3 conversions and Matt had 1/3.

When there out wide I always feel he"ll miss when he gets the odd one it's a bonus

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

If we didnt miss 2 tackles and gave them a 10 nil head start, we wouldn't be talking about it. Obviously we lost by the goal kicking, however all kicks are a 50/50.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

haz123

dogs for eva
Reaction score
Not when I looked it says goal kicking for 2023 was 61.9% it's in all goal kicking stats 2023 nrl
I think you must be reading it wrong??? His 2024 % as of now is 61.9% 2023 he kicked at 84.5%
This is taken from NRL web site.
1713058949768.png

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Taaffe showed he can kick in general play set up 2 try’s vs the rabbit

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
These are his average Stats prior to last year were he kicked at 84.5%
He did kick well last season but overall he has been pretty poor. I don't personally rate him as a kicker and looking at him kick under pressure this season seems to be another issue. Crichton used to kick ahead of him in the lower grades at Penrith.

haz123

dogs for eva
Reaction score
He did kick well last season but overall he has been pretty poor. I don't personally rate him as a kicker and looking at him kick under pressure this season seems to be another issue. Crichton used to kick ahead of him in the lower grades at Penrith.
Admit he is down this year in comparison , overall I think he averages around 74% (still not to bad)

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Admit he is down this year in comparison , overall I think he averages around 74% (still not to bad)
That's probably the low end for kickers these days though. I personally think Crichton strikes them better and mentally is a better fit for the role. His last two seasons as a part timer he has kicked at 82% and 84% although he's only really attempted 64 conversions during that time.