Goal kicking options

Status
Not open for further replies.

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
After the poor form of Goodwin many of us are calling for Lett to come on to the wing. If this was to happen what would our goal kicking options be? I know Ennis can kick but gave up his duties last year so im guessing he'd rather not. Other than that I think our other option is Steve Turner. Does anyone know of any other proven gk's in our squad? Does Barba or Hodkinson kick?

TheBarba

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Keating can kick at goal.

dropping goodwin isnt going to happen though.

goodwinmagic

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I saw Trent Hodkinson nail a few on the sidelines in the City v Country match last year.

col of birchmen

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw Trent Hodkinson nail a few on the sidelines in the City v Country match last year.
Likewise yet he was behind Lyon, Rodney, T-Rex at Manly. On that note how is Cherry Evans manly's best goalkicker his success rate is under 70%

goodwinmagic

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Though we should see if Goodwin is named in the side before we start thinking about goal kicking options.

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Goal Kickers in the current 1st grade side are (apart from Goodwin):

Barba
Hodkinson
Ennis
Turner

Plenty to choose from!!

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
dont know how he manage to stuff the first 2 kicks......ok angle wise it wasnt that great but he should have still kicked em both imo

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
dont know how he manage to stuff the first 2 kicks......ok angle wise it wasnt that great but he should have still kicked em both imo
He missed 3 of 7. 2 were hard angles and he got close. He stuffed 1 easy one up with a miss kick. Id worry more if he kept kicking soso, he was 80% for the year going into the rabbits game. Even Haz had spells where he was soso.

Bry did manage to kick one from the sideline that was a great kick, so it wasnt all bad. I only saw one error of his that cost us in the Souffs game so i dont agree with the couple of people who think he single handedly let souffs back into it. And that error that led to a try was letting himself get stripped of the ball, which could happen to any of the players given the right combinations of events.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Bryson got pushed back into the in goal after Barba squeaked out into the field of play.

Then the next time we had the ball in our qtr after defending our line he dropped it cold. Souffs had nothing going at all had Bryson not committed those 2 errors.

His goal kicking in the first half was appalling. His first 2 misses at goal were both sitters. Turned what should have been a 6 point lead into a 2 pt lead, at a time when the game was in the balance"
He also seems to kick the ones when the pressure is off, his best kick was the last one when the game
was all over.
I think he's lacking confidence, or is playing hurt. Needs a stint in the /rest to shake him up.

Tunksy

New Pup
Reaction score
Ban Barba was the kicker when he was in toyota cup a cpl of years back wasn't he?

P

Paint.

I've said it over and over again; if Goodwin is dropped, Turner will be the goalkicker. In the trials, he had one shot in both the Raiders and Dragons match... with Ennis, Hodko and Barba playing in each one.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ban Barba was the kicker when he was in toyota cup a cpl of years back wasn't he?
Barba cant kick. Dont think he has the power in his legs. Was kicking at around 60% in toyota cup.
Turner is slightly better then Barba but dont think he can bend the ball naturally meaning that he will struggle out wide on his non preferred side. He was about 65-68% kicker.
Ennis has lots on his plate so you would rather he walk back to position after a try and get into the ear of a few of the boys to fire them up. He is however a 70-75% goal kicker, Missed 4/4 out wide against the knights and gave up goal kicking
Hodkinson is a solid kicker. I think he was the kicker for the Sea Eagels in the qld cup. But in saying that he got 2/7 in the grand final I think. With proper tutelage he will improve greatly if he has a natural kicking action. Some work with DH will tell if he will be any good.
Goodwin on his day is a great kicker but on his day can miss a few right infront too. Think he is some way off kicking 7/7 in games for example. He always seems to miss 1 or 2 and they are usually easier ones. That probably means he doesnt enjoy kicking that much and he doesnt concentrate enough cause its more of a laps of concentration/mental thing the skill related. I also think he has a foot injury which is hurting his action/connection with the ball. Didnt he injure his foot last year and it kept him out of round one? or was that hamstring/muscle related. I might be thinking of Morris who had broken a bone in his foot?

He is probably the most experienced kicker (goodwin) we have in the team (on recent form) seeing as ennis/turner havent kicked for atleast 3 years. It is not the best to change kicker mid season as kicking is a tempo thing and doubt Ennis, Hodkinson and co have been putting the hours in after training each day working on conversions.

Tunksy

New Pup
Reaction score
Quite a few options never the less. I myself think goodwin should keep his spot at least for a few more rounds. I'm backing him to get back to his best real soon he has given us great service the past 2 years. Its great to know we have plenty of depth with Lafai, Lett, wright etc there incase of injury or poor form

BullDoggy10

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
This thread is a waste of time. If Goodwin is fit he will more than likely be in first grade against the Broncos.

Barba

TANK
Reaction score
if barba was as good as goodwin in conversion kicking he would be leading the points easily! 70+ already then smith at 50 behind him

Status
Not open for further replies.