Goal Kicker Options 2024

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Assuming Burton keeps his current GK form, I'd go with him.

He kicked at 84.51% this year, which was the second highest in the comp behind Croker, given some minimum number of kicks (I don't remember the cut-off).

Very handy having Crichton as a back-up though.
Yeah he's shit when it matters!

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I would suggest shared GK Critta/Burto.
But (c) needs to be removed from Burto - not only does he not need the pressure whilst he focuses on improving his general play and kicking game, it was a mistake from Ciro (along with RFM) to go with the multi-(c) approach. Have a single (c) and it can be Reed - he’s a suitable mouthpiece and not afraid to talk like Menace was. As much as I loved Jacko he was too quiet in that respect. Assuming Reed gets better support from an improved pack his game should also improve whilst being able to be (c). Good to have some back-up options for GK too - finally we appear to have options for positions/duties again. #RollOn24

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
  1. Matt Burton: 116/147 78.91%
  2. Stephen Crichton: 74/94 78.72%
  3. Blake Taffe: 60/80 75%
  4. Sio Siva Taukeiaho: 63/86 73.26%
  5. Toby Sexton: 41/59 69.49%

These are our options for goal kicking duties for next season.

Crichton kicked, 2022 - 82.05%, 2023 - 84.00% in the last 2 seasons, I think he should take over the kicking duties from Burton.
xerri can kick goals too

Achilles

Back to Belmore
Reaction score
I would suggest shared GK Critta/Burto.
But (c) needs to be removed from Burto - not only does he not need the pressure whilst he focuses on improving his general play and kicking game, it was a mistake from Ciro (along with RFM) to go with the multi-(c) approach. Have a single (c) and it can be Reed - he’s a suitable mouthpiece and not afraid to talk like Menace was. As much as I loved Jacko he was too quiet in that respect. Assuming Reed gets better support from an improved pack his game should also improve whilst being able to be (c). Good to have some back-up options for GK too - finally we appear to have options for positions/duties again. #RollOn24
Agree, Reed should be Captain,
and maybe Burton can be Vice Captain.
And Critta the Goal Kicker

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
  1. Matt Burton: 116/147 78.91%
  2. Stephen Crichton: 74/94 78.72%
  3. Blake Taffe: 60/80 75%
  4. Sio Siva Taukeiaho: 63/86 73.26%
  5. Toby Sexton: 41/59 69.49%

These are our options for goal kicking duties for next season.

Crichton kicked, 2022 - 82.05%, 2023 - 84.00% in the last 2 seasons, I think he should take over the kicking duties from Burton.
Sadly we have more goal kicking options than front rowers

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The clubs philosophy on goal kickers and utilities, seems like that of American gun ownership . . .better to have them and not need them,than need them and not have them

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Is it a dumb idea to share duties?
Right side,Burtin with his left leg
Left side, Critta with his right leg
Taafe when they tired?
Isn’t Crichton a left footer also?

Pottz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Taafe when they tired?
I have no idea why teams don't do this if they have multiple good goalkickers. Can only assume it's to let one player focus on it as his job and be incentivised to put in the training and practice, but surely that one player would need less practice if he's only ever going to kick from one side, with the other player just practising on the other side.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Critta first, if not able then Taaffee , can rotate em as desired.

Lost Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Burton has the best percentage. I would relieve the preasure off Matt and Stephen and select Blake. Blake seems to enjoy kicking the most on the big screen.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I think a half kicking is a bad idea for us given the rebuilding phase. Burton is better off focusing on his play-making and not carrying the extra duty of kicking.

If Critta plays fullback (another important play-making role) then I'd rather he focus on that, however if he's at centre, then he can be the goal kicker.

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Personally don’t care who kicks them but definitely great to have a few goal kickers, 2 points are very valuable in today’s game.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Critta but Burton's goal kicking improved a lot this year. I think less responsibility for Burton the better. He needs to find himself again because he's a shell of himself.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Critta but Burton's goal kicking improved a lot this year. I think less responsibility for Burton the better. He needs to find himself again because he's a shell of himself.
I would agree with you. But in saying that slotting kicks from outwide would be good for his confidence?

I’d let him keep it. Give the kick offs to someone else. His last 10-12 rounds were virtually impeccable with his kicking. Smaller sample size but didn’t look like missing them for a while. We are blessed with good goal kickers at the moment. I remember a year under Des the players would scissor paper rock it for who takes the kick. I remember Foran scoring a soccer goal one day. Top right hand corner I think. Only problem was it was under he bar

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Taafe when they tired?
Seems practical, but I don't like it. Let's say you score more tries down one left edge the field, then Crichton gets averages more in game experience. Then when scores are locked in a tight game and we score down the right edge and Burton has to step up after not kicking regularly enough and fails.
Whoever you pick, gotta go all in.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't mind if either Burton or Crichton kick. They're at a similar level of accuracy. Nice to have excess quality in at least one area. I don't think goal kicking is a huge distraction personally.

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Taafe when they tired?
I like it!!! We just have to re-sign Adam Elliot so he can kick them from in front with his middle leg!!!