News GLORIA

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Check out his selections my man.. basically in the end it was very divisive for Wallabies. Some say he influenced the brilliant Mark Ella’s early retirement at just 25 because Jones stripped him of the captaincy before the Grand Slam in ‘84. Ella would announce his decision after this tour..

Also look at his special treatment of Brian Smith, one of Jones’ ‘favourites’. In particular in relation to Nick Farr-Jones (clearly the best scrum half at the time) in the latter years. Smith had the ‘perfect’ look Jones favoured. Brian Smith also followed him to Balmain. He did not too well, despite Jones pushing his barrow.

Below is an extract from Chris Masters’ book, ‘Jonestown’. I will add this book is not the only ‘evidence’ I have heard of his favouritism.

Ahh ok I see. I’ve never actually watched a game of rugby but remember hearing he coached a lot of wins

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Ahh ok I see. I’ve never actually watched a game of rugby but remember hearing he coached a lot of wins
No doubt he knew how to coach. Just his favouritism towards certain player, destabilised the team.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hope he gets jail time and drops the soap....oh wait. Hey c'mon ref!!

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Bro how can you have "successful" and "wallabies" in the same sentence without having "NOT" in it? Lol
There was 1991/1999 where the Wobblies brought Bill home but not a lot since.

But speaking of Jones. I met him once at the Australian Radio Awards in the 90’s. It was very clear that if you didn’t define his ‘area of interest’ that he had no time for you. Smug prick.

A broadcaster mate of mine who worked with Jones and Laws at 2UE in the 90’s at the height of their influence (and arrogance) told me a funny story of how when they renovated the station to placate their stars, Jones had a massive tirade when he sent someone in to measure the space to be Laws’ office to find out it was a few cm bigger. He also went off when Laws’ office was carpeted ‘first’.

You gotta wonder about the sense of entitlement.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
There was 1991/1999 where the Wobblies brought Bill home but not a lot since.

But speaking of Jones. I met him once at the Australian Radio Awards in the 90’s. It was very clear that if you didn’t define his ‘area of interest’ that he had no time for you. Smug prick.

A broadcaster mate of mine who worked with Jones and Laws at 2UE in the 90’s at the height of their influence (and arrogance) told me a funny story of how when they renovated the station to placate their stars, Jones had a massive tirade when he sent someone in to measure the space to be Laws’ office to find out it was a few cm bigger. He also went off when Laws’ office was carpeted ‘first’.

You gotta wonder about the sense of entitlement.
I love Laws, met him through my bodyguard days. He let me drive his Bentley to get Maccas for my boys lol

Most comfortable car I have ever driven.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I love Laws, met him through my bodyguard days. He let me drive his Bentley to get Maccas for my boys lol

Most comfortable car I have ever driven.
Yeah I’d never compare the two - Laws of course has an ego but he wasn’t a Karmichael like Jones.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Never met the pervert but Laws is actually a funny prick. My impression is that Laws was playing arrogant where the other one is naturally arrogant.
‘The Princess’ as he called her (his wife, Caroline) kept him in line - she never took any crap :-).