Glen/Brett Stewart & Gallop - Presentation

Status
Not open for further replies.

LebaneseBulldog

Bulldogs
Reaction score
What do you guys think was said? You reckon its over?

Heres the footage of the presentation you will see brett and david having a long handshake

[video=youtube;tnRnSxY9X5o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnRnSxY9X5o[/video]
feud over?

Last edited by a moderator:

LebaneseBulldog

Bulldogs
Reaction score
Manly's Des Hasler and Glenn Stewart declare feud with David Gallop over after NRL grand final victory

Manly declared their NRL premiership the final chapter in a bitter feud between fullback Brett Stewart and league boss David Gallop after Sunday's grand final.

Coach Des Hasler spoke of "closure", Clive Churchill medallist and Brett's brother Glenn Stewart said things were "back to normal" and the Sea Eagles returned to the point where the drama all began.

That was after they won the title in 2008, when Brett Stewart was banned for four weeks by the NRL for abusing alcohol before facing and being cleared of a sexual assault charge.

This year Hasler said his star No.1's soul would not be cleansed until Gallop apologised.

The fullback and chief executive engaged in an intense conversation during the presentation at ANZ Stadium, as did Glenn Stewart and Gallop when the outstanding Sea Eagles lock received the award for best on the ground.

"That was nothing, just moving on," Glenn Stewart said. "It was nothing at all."

While Brett would not speak after the victory, Glenn Stewart seemed to indicate the hatchet may have been buried.

"It's very special, probably the final chapter and everything's back to where it was and moving on and normal life's good and footy's going well so I can't complain," he said.

Hasler was philosophical when asked about Brett Stewart's return to the top.

"With the couple of years he's had, with the injuries and the interruptions in his life, to bounce back and to come back and be part of a side that wins a grand final means he has really come full circle and surely you can't begrudge him that."

Glenn Stewart returned from the battle of Brookvale to lead Manly to a win in the war for the premiership, starring in the four-tries-to-two win.

Banned for three games after the infamous brawl with Melbourne players a month ago, Stewart needed his team-mates to get him through the finals series and repaid them with a try, superb plays for two more four-pointers and an all-round performance that is likely to have him named in the Kangaroos squad on Monday.

Whenever a big play was needed, the nuggety Manly lock stepped up, none moreso than when he surprised the Warriors with a grubber inside his own half that eventually led to a Daly Cherry-Evans try.

"I don't know if it was a bit of a brain snap or what, but if it bounces the other way I might have been in hot water with Dessie," Stewart said modestly when asked about his first half grubber.

"... (My try) was just the right place, right time ... I was just hanging around for the scraps and it paid off."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...nd-final-victory/story-e6frf3ou-1226156446679

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
that looks like the olive branch

should be the end of it all now

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
I prefer Steve allen over sutcliffe

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
DT reckon they're hearing different, but at what point do we believe these schmucks

Brett Stewart chose wrong time to have words with David Gallop

UNLESS you have walked in Brett Stewart's shoes these past three seasons, unless you have sat in the courtroom dock knowing you have done nothing wrong yet your freedom rests in the hands of a jury, you can't know what it's like to be wrongly accused of sexual assault.

You can't know but the stomach churns at the thought. You can understand his fury, which has seemingly not subsided since he was acquitted of those charges a year ago. You can even understand him searching for someone to direct his anger at, and it's been there for all to see that David Gallop has been the punching bag.

Nevertheless, the Manly fullback's attack on NRL boss David Gallop was a serious error of judgment.

This wasn't the time for payback. This wasn't the time to make a statement. This was a time to be magnanimous.

Instead of "closure" and "moving on", the firestorm remains ablaze because now Rugby League Land is infatuated with a whole new conversation starter: What did Brett and Glenn Stewart say to David Gallop?

Yesterday, neither Manly nor Gallop were commenting about the issue yesterday but the truth was always going to seep out.

And for all the Oprah-talk talk of "closure" and "moving on" it is clear that the Stewarts still harbour a sizeable grudge.

"You still owe me an apology," Brett Stewart said, in part, although it is understood to have been much heavier than that.

While Stewart was respectful enough and didn't swear at Gallop, his words were enough to offend David Thody , the chief executive of major sponsor Telstra who was standing right next to the pair.

Likewise, Gallop's laughter when Glenn Stewart had something to say after accepting the Clive Churchill Medal shouldn't be misconstrued as happy-happy times.

For his part, Gallop isn't saying a word about it.

While there were enough people on stage to overhear the remarks, NRL staff are under instruction stay silent on the subject.

Gallop believes it's up to Stewart and Manly to divulge precisely what was uttered, although you could understand if he was bemused by comments from the Sea Eagles directly after the grand final to the contrary.

There's a significant difference between an acrimonious exchange with the NRL chief executive and then declaring you are "moving on" and the notion of shaking his hand and saying, "David, let's move on".

Either way, for Stewart to use such a public platform on the stage after the grand final to finally speak to Gallop was the wrong call.

It gave Gallop no chance to defend himself and argue his own case.

The NRL boss has repeatedly said publically he would meet with Brett Stewart to discuss the four-match ban slapped on him in the wake of Manly's drunken season launch in 2009.

Whether you think Gallop should apologise or not, if you think the NRL was too hasty in making the decision to rub Stewart out, is a moot point. The mature and productive thing to do would've been to tell Gallop face to face, behind closed doors, what he thought of him and his decision.

If Manly officials knew Stewart was going to take such a public stance, they have erred terribly in advising him against it.

Where to from here?

It would be in the best interests of Manly, Brett and Glenn Stewart and their family, and the wider game if we could draw a line under the entire episode.

Brett Stewart mightn't have told David Gallop it was time to move on, but it needs to be the next step.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ith-david-gallop/story-e6frexnr-1226157580011
i read elswhere that gallop didn't go into the manly shed after the game and there was a messaqe passed onto them that this would be the case

only time i read or heard that at all, so, to be confirmed

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
Just read on smh.com he asked for an apology
He ****s me even more now.

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
What next, Compensation ??

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
He was suspended for no reason. Gallop deserves everything he gets, the smug ****.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
If he wasnt the face of the league then he wouldnt have been suspended.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

The.X.Factor

Forum Maniac
Reaction score
F**k them both.

LOL they're both hillbilly hicks from Bovine university in Texas; lol Glenn Stewart is probably Brett Stewarts step dad the inbred hicks.

They probably had a ho down after the grand final and went and tipped some cows whilst chewing tobacco and spitting it on there horses at broke back mountain.

The Stewart brothers:

bert

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Brett Stewart got off the sexual assault charge because he was bankrolled and could afford Lawyers to take it as far as needed to avoid conviction. No doubt he's guilty and Gallop should have stamped the pr.ck out of the game I reckon

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Club at fault over Stewarts' contact with Gallop, says commissioner

JOHN GRANT, the incoming chairman of the new independent commission, last night weighed into the ongoing dispute between David Gallop and Brett Stewart, backing the NRL chief and suggesting it was inappropriate for the Manly fullback to act as he did while accepting his premiership medal on Sunday.

Gallop also broke his silence on his on-stage conversation with Stewart, in which the Sea Eagles flyer was understood to have told him, while shaking his hand: ''You owe me an apology''.

The NRL boss told the Herald: ''It really is time that a line was ruled under this issue. The penalties that were imposed came with the endorsement of the NRL board and were appropriate.''

Stewart and brother Glenn had not spoken to Gallop since the fullback was suspended for four matches at the start of the 2009 season, a ban imposed for bringing the game into disrepute.

Older sibling Glenn also exchanged words with Gallop when accepting the Clive Churchill medal after Sunday's grand final.

When asked about the matter yesterday, Grant, who will head the eight-member independent commission in charge of the game, threw his support behind the NRL chief. He took aim at Manly administrators for failing to offer the Stewarts proper advice about how to approach the face-to-face contact with Gallop in front of a large crowd and television audience.

''The commission fully supports the dignified manner in which NRL CEO David Gallop conducted himself during the grand final presentation and in the days that followed,'' Grant said.

''There are clearly appropriate and inappropriate times to raise issues of conflict, just as there is a responsibility on club administrators to provide leadership to their personnel in differentiating the two. The commission is yet to assume stewardship of the game but will continue to ensure players and clubs recognise the importance of protecting the image of rugby league.''

Grant and his fellow commissioners are expected to be in operation by November 1 but the chairman has already been vocal on several issues.

Manly chairman Scott Penn admitted in May that the stoush between Stewart and Gallop was ''not productive'' and said he hoped to organise a peace summit between the pair within a month. That never occurred, although it is understood Gallop has always been open to the concept.

There now appears next to no chance of reconciliation. Penn and Manly chief executive David Perry did not return calls yesterday but former Sea Eagles supremo Ken Arthurson, the ex-NSWRL and ARL chairman, said he was prepared to mediate if necessary.

''I'd be willing to do anything to mend the bridge but I don't know that either of them would particularly want me to be there. I would certainly give anything for it to be fixed up,'' Arthurson said. ''For me, to keep this going on is not right.

''You're talking about two people that are basically good people - two good people should be able to get together and sensibly talk things through. I understand it was an awful period of time for Brett, because it did take an enormous toll on him, and I can appreciate how he felt. I know him and his family quite well - they're lovely people.

''But having said that I think David Gallop honestly acted in the way he felt was right … It's time for Manly, or whoever is involved, to just get on with life.''

Arthurson said the onus was on Manly officials to attempt to broker a ceasefire with Gallop, adding that he thought Stewart had not chosen the right time to bring the spotlight on the matter on Sunday.

''It's certainly not the time to do it, in the great moment of a victory like that,'' he said. ''If you're going to do it, it's best to do it at another time.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ommissioner-20111004-1l7bh.html#ixzz1ZymIqdgC

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
New boss praises Gallop in Manly row

NRL chief executive David Gallop received some heavyweight support yesterday over his handling of the Brett Stewart saga when independent commission chairman-elect John Grant lauded his dignified display on grand final night.

While Manly's win over the Warriors is fast becoming a distant memory, Gallop's confrontation with Stewart on the presentation dais at ANZ Stadium remains a hot topic following revelations the Sea Eagles custodian had told the NRL boss he was owed an apology.

Stewart remains bitter over the NRL's decision to remove him from their advertising campaign and suspend him for four games for his behaviour at the club's season launch at Manly in 2009. He was charged and acquitted of sexual assault allegations emanating from that night.

Grant and his fellow commissioners will take charge of the game form November 1 but in response to numerous media requests yesterday, the chairman-elect voiced his support for Gallop and called on clubs to provide leadership to their players.

"The commission fully supports the dignified way in which NRL chief executive David Gallop conducted himself during the grand final presentation and in the days that followed," Grant said.

"There are clearly appropriate and inappropriate times to raise issues of conflict just as there is a responsibility on club administrators to provide leadership to their personnel in differentiating between the two.

"The commission is yet to assume stewardship of the game but it will continue to ensure players and clubs recognise the importance of protecting the image of the NRL."

Gallop himself added in relation to the ongoing spat between the NRL and the Stewarts: "It's time to draw a line under it. The penalties that were imposed and endorsed by the NRL board were appropriate and the issues won't be reviewed."

Grant wasn't the only powerful identity in the game to question the timing of Stewart's latest attack on Gallop. Sea Eagles patriarch Ken Arthurson has a soft spot for Stewart but even he questioned the timing of the latest set-too between the player and the NRL.

"I don't think that was the right time or place," Arthurson said.

"Having said that I want it made with the clear understanding that nobody is more on Brett's side than me. But I also think it's wrong to be critical of Gallop.

"He's got a tough job and I have to say I think he's doing quite well at the moment. I think he handled it with dignity."

Arthurson, a player, coach and chief executive at Manly for nearly three decades before becoming the NSWRL and Australian Rugby League chairman, said he could sympathise with Stewart given the torment the star had gone through while facing the allegations.

"To me there is no point in prolonging the issue and going on with it," Arthurson said.

"I understand he's been through a traumatic experience. It must have been very hard on his family. At the end of the day I think David Gallop is an honourable and sincere man too.

"At the end of the day I think he did what he thought was right. Whether he was right or wrong, I sincerely think he did what he thought was right. In no way do I want this to be seen to the detriment of Brett Stewart as I think the world of him. I also have a high regard for David Gallop."

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...lop-in-manly-row/story-e6frg7mf-1226158474378

RowdyDog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The guy in the background seemed to be smiling and he was hearing what they were saying.. so I think it's over.

Well it must be over now that DG has resigned.
Its probably a fair bet to say that DG will release a book at some stage, so it will probably resurface.

If he does write a book, and gives the no holds barred version of all the events that happened under his watch (as opposed to the politcal spin that he generally had to give as a CEO), it will probably make a really good read.

Tha DoggFather

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
F**k them both.

LOL they're both hillbilly hicks from Bovine university in Texas; lol Glenn Stewart is probably Brett Stewarts step dad the inbred hicks.

They probably had a ho down after the grand final and went and tipped some cows whilst chewing tobacco and spitting it on there horses at broke back mountain.

The Stewart brothers:

Looks more like the Keating brothers LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.