Gerrard Demands New Signings!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alz_274

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
GERRARD CALLS FOR MAJOR SUMMER SPENDING
Steven Gerrard has called for the promised cash bonanza to boost Liverpool's future and mend his broken heart in the wake of the Anfield club's Champions League final defeat in Athens.

The weaknesses in boss Rafael Benitez’s squad were cruelly exposed by AC Milan’s 2-1 win in the Olympic Stadium to deny the Reds a repeat of their miracle in Istanbul two years ago as two goals from Filippo Inzaghi sealed the trophy for the Rossoneri.

Inzaghi’s first was a fortunate deflected effort off his chest and, despite Dirk Kuyt’s late headed goal, there was no need for extra-time on this occasion.

Now Gerrard, committed to signing a new five-year contract, believes Liverpool’s future is booming as he awaits the squad strengthening expected following the George Gillett-Tom Hicks takeover.

Gerrard said: “Since the takeover you can feel the excitement here, from fans to players. We know things will change and we must recover from a setback like this.

“I will bounce back, the team will also, and we will be a better side because of this.

“But this has been one of the lowest points in my career. We all have to pick ourselves up and get ourselves ready for next season.

“The main people here have said they will back Rafa (Benitez) and give him funds to strengthen the side. That’s exciting and has to happen, but at the moment my heart is in two pieces.”

Gerrard had been asked to play in a forward midfield role in Benitez’s tactical plan in the Greek capital but it was not the success hoped for.

But the 26-year-old said: “We played better than in the final two years ago - then we won it, this time we didn’t. That first goal was the chance for them to take control of the game.

“I was happy to play in that attacking role, I was asked to do a job and I worked my socks of.

“But we don’t want to make excuses, we must take it on the chin, give Milan credit and just say we are looking forward to next season when we can deliver for the fans.”

Gerrard now expects a summer of major transfer market activity and added: “There will definitely be changes, the future is really bright at Liverpool and that has been well documented.

“The people in charge are going to spend money to build the team and they are going to take this club to the next level.

“That is really exciting. The boss has meetings with the new owners all the time to tell them what is needed.

“I think it is a case of ‘watch this space’ because things are going to happen.

“At the moment it is all about handling setbacks like this. A defeat in a major final on such small details is hard to take and that is what is consuming me at the moment.”

Gerrard also admitted that his focus now was on achieving more success with both club and country, promising to win more silverware for the Anfield club and launch a serious title bid.

He said: “You have to take it on the chin. Milan won and we must accept that. I have got a few days now to pick myself up before the next England game, and I intend to do that.

“That will help me take some focus away from what has happened. But this will hurt me for a long time and I must console myself by knowing that the future is bright.

“We will be back, have no doubts about that. I intend to win many trophies for this club in the future.

“The league now must be our priority. It is for the manager, the players, the fans, the new people in charge. We have to improve in the Premier League and really make our mark.”

Liverpool never really recovered from conceding Milan’s first goal in the final seconds of a first half they had steadily taken control of.

Gerrard said: “We knew before the game it was going to be about small details. And they got that bit of luck to score at a really important time.

“We can be proud of the way we controlled periods of the game, but Milan are a great side and they just about deserved it.

“Our fans were brilliant, they are with you when you lift cups and they are with you when things don’t go so well. That is why they are the best in the world, they have been with us right from the qualifying round.

“And that is what is disappointing. We just did not deliver for them. But I am finding this difficult, I will have to get it out of my system very quickly so I can come back better next season.”

yay! i hope that means livo WILL make some heavy transfers to really challenge for the title next season

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
i bloody hope so...

neill was talking it up last season when he joined WHU

BILLYA-BULLDOG

DOGS 4 LIFE
Reaction score
Liverpool need big name players like ETO & VILLA UP FRONT & 2 defenders dont know who might be looking at though

alz_274

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
torres, eto'o or david villa any one or two ro three of them are my preferred striker signings
as for midfield maybe quaresma from fc porto if ur thinking rw id take him
and for defence doubt we need any new defenders but id take gareth bale

MiteyDogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do we need a right mid?
We have Pennant & Garcia, Plus Gerrard can do the job if we want Alonso & Mascherano in Centre Mid.
We need a striker and maybe a better right back, Finnan's good but i'd love a guy like Riise on the right side of our defence, Finnan can just go up and cross a ball in & not that well most of the time, he's not a guy like Riise that can run from fullback and take a drive at the goal.
I don't know which right back that does that, but lets find him!
I know you all might say a defender's job is to defend, but why not have a guy that can do it all ay?

alz_274

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Do we need a right mid?
We have Pennant & Garcia, Plus Gerrard can do the job if we want Alonso & Mascherano in Centre Mid.
We need a striker and maybe a better right back, Finnan's good but i'd love a guy like Riise on the right side of our defence, Finnan can just go up and cross a ball in & not that well most of the time, he's not a guy like Riise that can run from fullback and take a drive at the goal.
I don't know which right back that does that, but lets find him!I know you all might say a defender's job is to defend, but why not have a guy that can do it all ay?
gianluca zambrotta, not likely we'll get him but nor will we offer him a deal

MiteyDogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
gianluca zambrotta, not likely we'll get him but nor will we offer him a deal
Yeh i know, if we were gonna get him, i guess we'd have gone for him last season when Juve were in all that trouble and the other teams all went for him.
Anyway, this is the exciting part now, the season's over and its time to start listening to all the rumours of transfers and stuff.
We better sign some top quality players.

Fict|on.x

akimbo^assassin
Reaction score
Reina
Finnan Carragher Agger Riise
Pennant Mascherano Gerard Kewell
Kuyt Crouch

Alonso, Belemy, Zenden, González, Dudek

imo thats a solid team

Fict|on.x

akimbo^assassin
Reaction score
Ribery is a gun
isnt pennant good enough lol

he was one of your best in the CL final

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Gerrard is just complaining because he & Liverpool lost in the UEFA Champions League Final... Stop Complaining Gerrard, It's over... You Lost!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.