General Patten to become NRL ref

Status
Not open for further replies.

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
CANTERBURY premiership-winning fullback Luke Patten is set to become the next former NRL player to make the transition into the refereeing ranks.

NRL referees boss Bill Harrigan said an approach had been made from a representative of Patten's UK Super League club Salford on behalf of the 2004 NRL premiership winner about becoming a whistleblower.

Patten's decision has been inspired by the success of ex-players turned referees such as Henry Perenara and Luke Phillips.

"Luke's seen how the boys have being going in making the transition from player to ref and I was told that Luke's interested in doing something similar in his career,'' said Harrigan.

Patten has two more years to run on his contract at Salford and will return to Australia following the 2013 Super League season.

Harrigan has advised Patten to make contact with Super League referees boss Stuart Cummins and look at getting his refereeing ticket in the UK.

"He might be able to referee schoolboy games or some club-related games in the local area whilst he is playing and he can bring that experience back with him rather than starting from scratch,'' Harrigan said.

Harrigan believes Patten is a good refereeing prospect.

"Going on the way he handled himself on the field, with his temperament and the way he approached referees and spoke to his players, I think he's got the makings of a very good referee,'' he said.

Perenara, a former Warriors, Melbourne, St George Illawarra, Parramatta and Cronulla player, has become the poster boy of players-turned referees.

He capped his meteoric rise after his first year of NRL refereeing by taking control of last weekend's Australia-England Four Nations clash at Wembley.

Perenara was one of three ex-players, along with Sydney Roosters NRL premiership winner Phillips and former South Sydney back Paul Mellor, who joined the refereeing ranks four years ago.

Phillips and Perenara are established NRL referees while Mellor works as a video referee.

Meanwhile Harrigan has tipped a bright future with the whistle for 26-year-old former Cronulla backrower Reece Williams, who started refereeing earlier this year.

Williams was forced to retire in 2010 after he was hospitalised by a series of head knocks.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...come-nrl-referee/story-e6frexnr-1226188845751

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Take it Patten!

Slip in a few dodgy calls here and there when the time comes to referee a Dogs match. ;)

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Nooooo .... I like the new politically incorrect General we have on Twitter ....

'G'

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great, a cross-eyed ref :p

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Good on ya General you will always have respect!

dogie

thruthick&thin
Reaction score
wicked, all the best to him. Im glad he could make a lengthy career out of this! (as not too many can).

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
He will get the urge to make cover tackles.

~stacie

Michael Ennis ♥
Reaction score
Liessss!

lukepatten lukepatten
Just woken up to hear I am going to b a ref!!I thought about it a couple of years ago but then saw how hard they train!plus I could never let the dogs lose!don't believe everything u hear people. #greatestgameofall

hth

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
Damn. Lukey has the ability to have 2 eyes looking in different directions, so he would have been an awesome ref.

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Damn. Lukey has the ability to have 2 eyes looking in different directions, so he would have been an awesome ref.
Never seems to be in the red on the the punt either, he always has one each way.

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Best gee-up!

Gotta love how General says things as it is!

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Too good for it, would hate to see him ref first grade.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
i dont like players becoming refs, especially ones with associations to clubs

for example if we played manly and steve menzies is the ref then it creates an unusual situation, even if menzies is fair he might feel pressure to rule against manly to prove he is not biased

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
i dont like players becoming refs, especially ones with associations to clubs

for example if we played manly and steve menzies is the ref then it creates an unusual situation, even if menzies is fair he might feel pressure to rule against manly to prove he is not biased
Or just make it they cant officiate that game? They do it in cricket lol. Simon Taufel has always wanted to Officiate a test match involving Australia, however he knows it will never happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.