Gay couple's foster parents ban overturned

Status
Not open for further replies.

PigBenis

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A GAY couple have won a landmark discrimination case after they were banned from becoming foster parents because they are homosexual.

The couple, whose identities have been suppressed, took legal action when their application to become foster carers was refused by a welfare agency linked to the Uniting Church.

After a hearing the Administrative Decisions Tribunal has ruled that they were "unlawfully discriminated against on the ground of homosexuality".

The couple were awarded $5000 each in compensation after the tribunal found they were "deeply hurt, insulted and embarrassed".

They lodged a complaint with the NSW Anti-Discrimination Board after being told an application to become foster carers would not be accepted.

The Anti-Discrimination Act prohibits unlawful discrimination in the provision of services on the grounds of homosexuality and marital status.

Gay couples are legally allowed to become foster carers in NSW but the agency defended its decision by arguing it was exempt from the Anti-Discrimination Act on religious grounds.

Legal experts said last night the case, involving a challenge to the Act for religious reasons, was "very interesting".

"It is definitely an unusual case - particularly the discussion of Christian doctrine (in the judgment)," one legal observer said.

In its judgment the tribunal said: "The evidence makes it clear that a heterosexual person in the same position as each applicant would have been provided with the services necessary to allow an application to become a foster carer to be processed and assessed on its merits. We find the refusal to provide those services constitutes less favourable treatment."

The tribunal refused a request by the couple for a public apology but ordered the welfare agency to review its policy on homosexual foster carers and "take all necessary steps to eliminate unlawful discrimination on the ground of homosexuality in the facilitation and provision of its foster care services".

The Iemma Government has since flagged it will change the law to grant lesbian parents the same parenting rights as heterosexuals.

Legislation will be introduced to Parliament amending a total of 50 laws across NSW to include new parental presumption protection for female same-sex couples.

In schools administration staff will be forced to recognise both partners in the gay couple as "parents".

A spokesman for Attorney-General John Hatzistergos said: "In relation to this specific case, the period during which this case could be appealed by either party has not expired and it would be inappropriate to comment."

MikeG

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Well, obviously, this can only be good for society.

Could potentially be a solution to the population boom.

wogdog

Boards Don't Hit Back!
Reaction score
i think that gays/lesbians/dimitra aren't natural lol.

Guard Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
god created adam and eve not adam and steve,..but ive learnt to accept them in society i just dont think its right for gays/lezos to raise children

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
As much as I am against homosexuality..

I think picking on a gay couple out of all people who want to adopt kids is the wrong way to go.

There are millions of families in the world out there who suffer from neglectful parents, families with backgrounds of domestic violence, drugs, alcohol addiction, sexual and physical abuse, poverty, lack of education etc etc. The possibilities are endless.

I'll probably get hounded for this post, but lets be real here. Gay couples more than anything want kids that they can love and share bonds with, and provide a safe and supportive environment for kids to grow up in. The only thing that would cause concern is the affect raising a child through homosexual role models would cause. I dont think there has been research which shows that a kid is gonna turn gay because his/her parents are gay.

What Im trying to say is that at least kids will be grown into a loving and supporting family through a gay family. If anything, this whole gay parent saga shows how much of a disgrace we all are as humans in this world. We neglect the fact we have kids. We dont spend enough time with them, or teach them right from wrong, or tell them not to swear when they swear... we take the idea of having children for granted, and then when there is a group of people (ie. homosexuals), as evil as they may be by their actions, who would do anything to have kids - people are quick to point the finger without even looking at their own kids.

Look at the youth these days, just go to a Bulldogs match and you'll know what I mean. Society is a disgrace. Ultimately, homosexuality is wrong and so is adopting kids as a gay couple... but society is already corrupted.

G

Gladiator.

As much as I am against homosexuality..

I think picking on a gay couple out of all people who want to adopt kids is the wrong way to go.

There are millions of families in the world out there who suffer from neglectful parents, families with backgrounds of domestic violence, drugs, alcohol addiction, sexual and physical abuse, poverty, lack of education etc etc. The possibilities are endless.

I'll probably get hounded for this post, but lets be real here. Gay couples more than anything want kids that they can love and share bonds with, and provide a safe and supportive environment for kids to grow up in. The only thing that would cause concern is the affect raising a child through homosexual role models would cause. I dont think there has been research which shows that a kid is gonna turn gay because his/her parents are gay.

What Im trying to say is that at least kids will be grown into a loving and supporting family through a gay family. If anything, this whole gay parent saga shows how much of a disgrace we all are as humans in this world. We neglect the fact we have kids. We dont spend enough time with them, or teach them right from wrong, or tell them not to swear when they swear... we take the idea of having children for granted, and then when there is a group of people (ie. homosexuals), as evil as they may be by their actions, who would do anything to have kids - people are quick to point the finger without even looking at their own kids.

Look at the youth these days, just go to a Bulldogs match and you'll know what I mean. Society is a disgrace. Ultimately, homosexuality is wrong and so is adopting kids as a gay couple... but society is already corrupted.
i have to agree with you tbh rami, the chances of them being abusive are equal or even less then a hetrosexual relationship

Status
Not open for further replies.