Garth Wood KOs Anthony Mundine in the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
Wow. Didnt see that coming

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...n-shock-knockout/story-e6freygr-1225967942023

MUNDINE. Gone.

Garth Wood knocked out Anthony Mundine with one of those sweet little overhand rights that Mundine has proven vulnerable to once before, shocking a nation.

Referee Les Fear counted 10 over Mundine, who rose shortly after, wobbled, and tried to insist he was ready to continue.

Whether he knew the count had already reached 10 is uncertain.

Get the posters ready: Man Down Again.

It came in the fifth round. Wood backed Mundine into what can only be described as tremendously slack ropes - designed to help Mundine defend himself from Wood's pressure onslaught - and as Mundine leaned away and dipped his head in behind his left shoulder, Wood snuck one over his shoulder and connected.

It landed high on Mundine's temple and saw him slump into the ropes, Wood then throwing a left rip as he travelled south.

It was the same region, although on the opposite side of the head, that Sven Ottke dropped Mundine nine years ago.

The win opens unbelievable opportunities for Wood, and completes one of the great comeback stories in Australian sport.

Wood qualified for the fight after winning reality television series The Contender.

He was only included in The Contender at the last minute when Peter Mitrevski dropped out days before filming began.

Even then he was considered a long outsider, surprising many when he progressed through the show to eventually beat world No. 10 Kariz Kariuki in the final.

Wood had been through a tough time following the separation of his partner, which he briefly hinted on last night.

"A dark time," he said.

He dedicated the result to his two daughters who.

The knockout punch came from nowhere in the midst of an ugly round, which until then had been an ugly fight.

Wood's best chance in the fight, and probably his only chance, was to pressure Mundine for every second of every round.

It had several advantages.

Dulled by fatigue, perhaps then he could slow Mundine enough to land the money shot. Despite all his talk about the susceptibility of Wood's chin, Mundine himself was the only one to reveal a tenderness around the temple.

Mundine is the fastest fighter in his division, without doubt. So quick it camouflages many of his flaws.

The other advantage is that it negates the distance in class between them. While Wood was the sentimental favourite for most of Australia, Mundine had beaten fighters all the way up to the second tier of boxing, and had a definite advantage in the calibre of opponent he has faced.

A wonderful antidote to Mundine's bluster, Wood's first words after winning the fight were: "Oh well."

"I don't know what to say," he said, "I'm the best kept secret in Australia."

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
kinda dissapointed tbh. Bloke isnt a bad person as the media portrays him

PigBenis

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
LOL this must be a great day for all the mundine hat...

sn33ky23q

Ahmad
Reaction score
kinda dissapointed tbh. Bloke isnt a bad person as the media portrays him
mundine is a goose
i used to like him but he talks to much makes his "fans" expect big and get nothing.. he offered out miguel cotto for gods sake? wtf is that ? glad garth put him in his place and his only had 10 fights and no amature backround?

bckd

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Ooh yeah baby. How I am lovin' this. Couldn't have happened on a more apt night. Kostya gets inducted into the 'International Boxing hall of Fame', and Mundine get's knocked out.

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Mundine didnt even want this fight did he? Was he injured beforehand and kept postponing it?

Garth Wood had nothing to lose, Mundine had a fair bit... Not much chance of getting to the states now

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
Ooh yeah baby. How I am lovin' this. Couldn't have happened on a more apt night. Kostya gets inducted into the 'International Boxing hall of Fame', and Mundine get's knocked out.
One = Adopted Australian legend
One = Intentionally un-Australian pretender

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
If only I put my mind to more useful things......lol

(((((SMACK)))))

Jados Boutros
Reaction score
Exactly. It brought a smile to my face.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
**** yeah! I woke up tired as and now I have a spring in my step after hearing that on the news.
Good on Garth Wood.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
geez, what a shame........

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
Best news ever lol.

Does this mean that Garth Wood is now the greatest athlete the world has ever seen?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
See what happens when he fights someone who isn't from a retirement village.

Maybe this will stop him running his mouth.

I wonder what his excuse will be.

Sherwin_7

Shifty Sherwin
Reaction score
Great to see Mundine get put on his ass.. Good on ya Wood..

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
See what happens when he fights someone who isn't from a retirement village.

Maybe this will stop him running his mouth.

I wonder what his excuse will be.
He is mates with Garth and he didn't wanna hurt him.

Obviously. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.