• Draw

• Storm 1-12

• Storm 13+

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My take aways from the game;

The forwards hunted as a PACK, solid initial contact, multiple players in every tackle, some of the hits were easily audible, a good solid THUMP.
The line speed in defence, in a straight line, no rushing, no lagging, was impressive (the very basis of Ciraldo's defensive "system").
Hit 'em hard and early with multiple players, every set, no respite, easy to say hard to do.

Xerri isn't rusty, looked just like he did 4 years ago, solid in defence, powerful runs, good offload and the acceleration was a sight to behold.

Salmon carried out the "ball playing lock" role at a very high level, Curran was my original pick for lock, but he has solid competition, not a bad thing.

1/2's, hard to pick, need more game time.

The drop off in Melbourne once the "superstars" don't play is dramatic, our 17 to 28 outplayed them drastically, a couple of injuries and they are farked.

Bring on next week.

Always a Bulldog
yep great summary!
That pretty much matched my take..

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Normally Flegg players look noticeably smaller when they come up against first or second grade players.
But that wasn't the case last night.
2023 Flegg players like Todd, Hayes, Gabrael, O'Neill, Papalii, Clarke did not look at all out of place physically amongst older players. Even if they weren't the top 17s.
I thought Todd was especially good (even considering the weaker opposition at that stage).
Gus's salary cap problem is going to be keeping these players. Not signing new ones.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
abit harsh mate
Not harsh at all.. it's the reality of it.

It's not like I don't want the kid to succeed.. moment of the season so far was watching that kids smile as he scored, could imagine he almost cried from the joy of it.

Delicate process.. no need to kill his career again as it's just beginning.

Last edited:

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yep, our Reserve Grade and Jersey Flegg boys did OK. Our 17 to 28 absolutely smashed their 17 to 27, Bellamy was apoplectic.

Always a Bulldog
Our future is extremely bright considering there are also kids like Woods, Alatini and a few others in the pipeline.

Just hope our First team can be competitive this year... if Sutto and Patolo come good soon we may be for a decent season.

Lynchpin

Kennel Established
Reaction score
My take aways from the game;

The forwards hunted as a PACK, solid initial contact, multiple players in every tackle, some of the hits were easily audible, a good solid THUMP.
The line speed in defence, in a straight line, no rushing, no lagging, was impressive (the very basis of Ciraldo's defensive "system").
Hit 'em hard and early with multiple players, every set, no respite, easy to say hard to do.

Xerri isn't rusty, looked just like he did 4 years ago, solid in defence, powerful runs, good offload and the acceleration was a sight to behold.

Salmon carried out the "ball playing lock" role at a very high level, Curran was my original pick for lock, but he has solid competition, not a bad thing.

1/2's, hard to pick, need more game time.

The drop off in Melbourne once the "superstars" don't play is dramatic, our 17 to 28 outplayed them drastically, a couple of injuries and they are farked.

Bring on next week.

Always a Bulldog
The competition seems fierce, and it's good to see.

This could be our RESERVE grade side for Round One.
1. Papalii (or Taffe)
2. Skelton
3. Samrani (or Perham)
4. Clark
5. Wilson
6. Oneil
7. Hutchison (or Sexton)
8. Todd
9. Hayward (or Turpin)
10. Morrin
11. Kautoga
12. Hayes
13. Mann
14. BBO
15. Edwards
16. Hopoi
17. Patolo

Not bad. A few of those definitely deserve 1st grade on their first-up performances, but who do you leave out?

Very much looking forward to the next trial.

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yup and I wouldn't be surprised if Kiraz starts the season @ right centre too.
Wilson has to be one of our wingers….he really can finish a try…I really rate him…just don’t know where we will fit everyone…Skelton, Kiraz , Tracey…I think our next trial against the Sharks will give a better indication of whichbpoayers are up for it..I hope the sharks field a full strength team

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The competition seems fierce, and it's good to see.

This could be our RESERVE grade side for Round One.
1. Papalii (or Taffe)
2. Skelton
3. Samrani (or Perham)
4. Clark
5. Wilson
6. Oneil
7. Hutchison (or Sexton)
8. Todd
9. Hayward (or Turpin)
10. Morrin
11. Kautoga
12. Hayes
13. Mann
14. BBO
15. Edwards
16. Hopoi
17. Patolo

Not bad. A few of those definitely deserve 1st grade on their first-up performances, but who do you leave out?

Very much looking forward to the next trial.
Rajab?

piggy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And Mann.

Curran and Mann will add more than Salmon at Lock, Wait t'ill you see their line speed and hits.

Kikau/Kiraz/Crighton/JAC can score points from nothing.

Just need forward pack to roll to get the space to play.
Who are our 2 best wingers? I think JAC will be under pressure to perform particularly defensively

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Who are our 2 best wingers? I think JAC will be under pressure to perform particularly defensively
Kiraz and JAC.

Kiraz will start at center though with Wilso on the wing which isnt a bad combo either.

Maybe once Tracey is fully fit an we get some injuries the team will pick itself.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Burton is being carried so hard by his potential to run the ball (when he feels like it), outside of that he has absolutely nothing. I definitely get "big kid dominating smaller kids in juniors" vibes from him as you can see his core skills are just severely lacking.

The club is overvaluing his ability as a ball runner and/or his ability to improve other key skills imo. Even if Burton turns on his running game and he's splitting the line open say twice a game (he's capable of doing more) is that really enough?Statistically it will look great on paper for himself but if he isn't effectively using the likes of Fox, Crichton and Kikau outside him then imo that's a net negative for the side.
I personally got no issue with his running ( when he does ) Its the silk, The ability to draw in defenders and release his outside/inside men. He telegraphs his passes and plays and thats when he doesnt freak out and step of the left and take the hit.

He is far from a magician so needs to develop something which enables him to be successful as a half.

Im still giving him t'ill round 10 but if i dont see anything of value then im on the center bandwagon.

JUST ONE, ONE try off an inside ball and i might change my mind.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I personally got no issue with his running ( when he does ) Its the silk, The ability to draw in defenders and release his outside/inside men. He telegraphs his passes and plays and thats when he doesnt freak out and step of the left and take the hit.

He is far from a magician so needs to develop something which enables him to be successful as a half.

Im still giving him t'ill round 10 but if i dont see anything of value then im on the center bandwagon.

JUST ONE, ONE try off an inside ball and i might change my mind.
Season could be over 10 rounds in..

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Comparing the players the storm rested with the players we rested should give us a better indication of where we are at in 24.
Althought we dominated the middle the storm had Nelson and Welsh out while we had all our starting middles playing however we did rest Kicks and Curran.
The storm also rested 3 of their spine players Munster Hughes and Grant, while had all our potential spine playing, however we rested Crita and JAC.
If all the rested players were on the field I think the scores would have been much closer.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
actually played a very good clean game last night with his defence. Timed his runs and hit hard tackling.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Comparing the players the storm rested with the players we rested should give us a better indication of where we are at in 24.

Althought we dominated the middle the storm had Nelson and Welsh out while we had all our starting middles playing however we did rest Kicks and Curran.

The storm also rested 3 of their spine players Munster Hughes and Grant, while had all our potential spine playing, however we rested Crita and JAC.

If all the rested players were on the field I think the scores would have been much closer.
We were losing 12-10 at half time. We should have been up by 20.

Only good thing is we controlled the game, just need to ensure we convert that to points.

GoTeamRaRaFunky

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
also kurt mann didn't play