Opinion Furner for head coach

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Whoa relax fellas.

You missed my first line.

You think I seriously believe that Furner should be anywhere near a FG coaching gig again, let alone with the Dogs?

Or that Gould should sack Barrett?

I’m taking the piss from stats in a centrespread story in today’s Tele.

Thought it might be good for a laugh as an alternative to the Sunday comics for the kids.
Next time post the story for context. We are pretty quick on the draw here to draw & quarter people.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
As we head rapidly towards the silly season with nothing useful to discuss for months, here’s a stat to mull over…

Old man Bennett has coached against 106 first grade rivals. Against most he has a strong winning record. 31 have never beaten Bennett in a single match( including Jack Gibson,Roy Masters and…sigh! Teddy Glossop).

Not surprisingly, Bellamy stands out as an exception to the rule, with a phenomenal 74.4% win record over Bennett across 39 games.

But whose record is even better than Bellamy’s?
Better than 74.4%? Is it possible?
Surely not Hasler? The Wok? Bozo Fulton?

Nope. None of these.

It’s none other than our distinguished assistant defensive coach, David Furner.
He’s pipped Bellyache at a dizzying 75%.

Only 8 games you say? Small sample size?

Rubbish! Naysayers! It’s time for Gus (his own win record of 52.7% dwarfed pitifully by the son of Don) to face the uncomfortable truth…Barrett (a solitary win and a woeful 16.7%) has to make way, and Furner be given the keys to The Kennel.

Discuss.
It’s an informative post mate and interesting to read but I hope your tongue is firmly planted in your cheek with regards to Furner.. :tearsofjoy:

_BT_

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As we head rapidly towards the silly season with nothing useful to discuss for months, here’s a stat to mull over…

Old man Bennett has coached against 106 first grade rivals. Against most he has a strong winning record. 31 have never beaten Bennett in a single match( including Jack Gibson,Roy Masters and…sigh! Teddy Glossop).

Not surprisingly, Bellamy stands out as an exception to the rule, with a phenomenal 74.4% win record over Bennett across 39 games.

Nope. None of these.

Rubbish! Naysayers! It’s time for Gus (his own win record of 52.7% dwarfed pitifully by the son of Don) to face the uncomfortable truth…Barrett (a solitary win and a woeful 16.7%) has to make way, and Furner be given the keys to The Kennel.

Discuss.
Welcome to the Kennel David.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Whoa relax fellas.

You think I seriously believe that Furner should be anywhere near a FG coaching gig again, let alone with the Dogs?

Thought it might be good for a laugh as an alternative to the Sunday comics for the kids.
You paid for the Tele?

That explains a lot.

childofglossop

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Next time post the story for context. We are pretty quick on the draw here to draw & quarter people.
Thanks for the tip Chisdog.

A calm voice amongst the outrage!

Wow! I honestly expected the participants in this forum to recognise satire when it was so bleedingly obvious.

I was channeling Rampaging Roy Slaven…but clearly my efforts at creating a humorous thread suggest I should stick to my day job.

I still can’t quite believe how many seem to think it was a genuine opinion piece.

Maybe it’s because the default setting here is straight up rant.

You’re right Chisdog…a link to the article would have made it clearer that it was a simplistic list of stats without any meaningful attempt at analysis.
You know what they say - lies, damned lies and statistics!

And Dave Furner, if you’re reading this…back to work, you’ve got a helluva job on your hands getting our defence up to scratch.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nice cast with a beach rod
Whoa relax fellas.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe co-coaches could work. That way Barrett can learn a bit from Furner the master before he's poached to replace Bellamy.

Nope. None of these.

Discuss.
Maybe co-coaches could work. That way Barrett can learn a bit from Furner the master before he's poached to replace Bellamy.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Nope. None of these.

Discuss.
I recon he is lucky to be an assistant coach :grinning:

Kung fu man

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who was his defence coach we can skip Furner and just get him

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

Nope. None of these.

Discuss.
Mate... you, me, and Blind Freddy next door would have a record as good as Bellamy if we breached the cap with the players he rorted to have at his disposal.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

Nope. None of these.

Discuss.

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Nope. None of these.

Discuss.
This the same bloke who went to Super League and was the worst coach over there?

From the area

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you see our defence this year? Bellamy would tear us apart next year if he’s the head coach.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gould is looking to replace him with a defensive coach of better note. Pays name has come up. Our defensive structures have been pitiful this year. Hasn't coped with the rule changes. Must get better.