Fullback for next year?

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who do we think our fullback will be for next year? Dwz stepped in and did well but we all know hes a confidence played and had his chance at fullback, Dwz could be a very solid winger for us if he continues his form. Meaney is a decent fullback but in my opinion just lacks star quality, hes a solid option but when you compare to other clubs, hes not on the same level as some. Allen is a strange one, I think he ll stay at centre, strange he was bought to play fullback and lasted 5 rounds or whatever, again, solid just lacks any spark or real quality as a fullback, he needs to work on his defence also as ive seen him miss a fair few one on ones at centre. Averillo is a possibility, If you said this last year id of been all for it but Im not sure whether he has put some size on, he doesnt look as electric as he did last year, maybe he ll prove me wrong. I personally dont think we have a quality fullback at the club currently, id like to see us sign Dufty, he has a real spark and his passing game has improved massively this season, I know his defence has been questioned, but imagine the pace of him and addo carr in our backline! Interested to hear what others think though?

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d like to see averillo back there. I think he’s young but he definitely has some talent and it would suit his game being able to pop up around the field. Obviously he needs to improve his defence but I’d rather develop him than sign someone on big money and let him go

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
and by the way im not saying dufty is as good as pap or anything like that, but hes off contract and hes a proper electric player plus if we get him on a good deal it means we have more money for a quality 9 and other quality forwards which we desperately need

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’d like to see averillo back there. I think he’s young but he definitely has some talent and it would suit his game being able to pop up around the field. Obviously he needs to improve his defence but I’d rather develop him than sign someone on big money and let him go
Yeah i get you mate, I hope Jake becomes the fullback we all really want him to be

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
We are chasig Papi for 23, so presumably he takes the role at the conclusion of DWZ' contract.
meaney and DWZ are fine till then. We needa hooker and a half as priority spending, even a prop.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
And since we are talking to papi, its a dick move if we signed dufty before then.
Ryan wont want his time wasted.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Everybody has a price, and Papenhuyzens price to leave Melbourne will be so high it will destroy our cap.

I admire us aiming for the top but we’ve gotta be deadset kidding to think we can get him. (If the rumour is actually true)
The deal will be 1-1.2 mil a season. years to be negotiated
last i heard, 1.2 was the price and dogs seemed ok wit it

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
We are chasig Papi for 23, so presumably he takes the role at the conclusion of DWZ' contract.
meaney and DWZ are fine till then. We needa hooker and a half as priority spending, even a prop.
Dont know why, i have massive doubts this is completely untrue

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless we're 99.9% sure we're getting Paps we should be signing Dufty. At least he's a proven experienced fullback with pace and a step. If Averillo is any good he could make it as a centre. If Cotric stays on the wing we'll need someone else to partner Naden (other than Hopa). I'd rather Dufty at fullback and Moses at halfback than Paps and Flanagan. Moses and Burton would kill it / be far more creative. Dufty is a finisher as is Paps. We need more players who can "create" tries, not just finish them. JAC, Cotric and Naden are decent finishers. If we signed Moses then Flanagan would move on immediately. We lack players who can jag a try from nothing like Fifita, Staggs, or Mitchell.

We should focus on making our halves and hooker as strong as possible. Flanagan is just an organiser. I don't see him creating a lot of tries. If we rely on Burton only it's too much pressure on one player and too easy for opposing teams to shut us down. With Burton and Moses it would be difficult for any team to shut us down. We'd have one of the best halves pairings in the comp. If one went down we would still have the other. If we have Burton only if he ever goes down injured we're up shit creek

Last edited:

Matthew G

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Unless we're 99.9% sure we're getting Paps we should be signing Dufty. At least he's a proven experienced fullback with pace and a step. If Averillo is any good he could make it as a centre. If Cotric stays on thew wing we'll need someone else to partner Naden (other than Hopa)
Spot on I reckon, although I wouldnt be against Dwz wing with Naden and Cotric centre with JAC wing, that is all dependant on DWZ continuing his form mind

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Meaney / Addo-Carr / Averillo are the only ones that should be considered imo. Allan is sloppy and not fit enough to be fullback ATM and anyone who says DWZ stop being fooled into thinking be can make it there... Fucker can run hard from the wing or piss off to another club

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Dont know why, i have massive doubts this is completely untrue
I got it from my insider, meaning he heard it discussed at head office during a relevant meeting.

Since that time, other posters, who have had a track record of info up there with me, has said the same thing.

It also passes the common sense test, because previous oil said we offered Tedesco 1.2 mil. Later that was mentioned in the paper.

So think about the mindset that dogs are having with the fullback position.

Also, Paps was a huge dogs fan from Sydney growing up. it makes sense he would want to play for the team he grew up supporting if they offered him a mil.

i did make one mistake two messages above, i said we offered Paps 1.2. i think i got that confused with the Teddy offer, i believe its actually 1 or 1.1. To be honest i got this info at ester and my memories fading.