Fullback for 2019, Hopoate > Meaney

Status
Not open for further replies.

JTSports

Waterboy
Reaction score
I don't rate Meaney that highly as of right now. I think it's a good thing that he got a taste of first grade this year, but he has A LOT of work to do before he can be a good player in the NRL. He needs to put on some size, improve his positional play defensively, and develop a passing game. I think Hopoate is a good fullback, not great, but good. Where he lacks speed, footwork and "game-breaking" ability, he makes up for it with his passing game, his strength as a ball-runner, and his ability to support our forwards in attack which Mbye struggled with. When we run block plays, I'm very comfortable with Hoppa swinging around the back, either throwing a cut-out ball, running it himself, or putting a kick through. He played a hand in a couple of tries last night.

Meaney just doesn't offer that much at the moment, and that's not a bad thing he just has to grow and improve as every young player does. My priority is ensuring that Lachie Lewis develops quickly to be our #7, and I think he will reach his potential with the best supporting spine.

That would be 1.Hopoate 6.Foran 7. Lewis 9.Segeyaro.

Don't get me wrong, I like Meaney and think he's a talented player with upside, but from what I've seen from him this year in both first-grade and reggies, I think he'd be better suited developing for one more season.

Thoughts?

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Im happy with Meaney to play there. If our forwards do their job and we have a fast effective hooker who can pass i think a left edge of Lewis, Martin, Hoppa could be pretty effective as Hoppa (left centre) would have time and space to use his silky hands.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't rate Meaney that highly as of right now. I think it's a good thing that he got a taste of first grade this year, but he has A LOT of work to do before he can be a good player in the NRL. He needs to put on some size, improve his positional play defensively, and develop a passing game. I think Hopoate is a good fullback, not great, but good. Where he lacks speed, footwork and "game-breaking" ability, he makes up for it with his passing game, his strength as a ball-runner, and his ability to support our forwards in attack which Mbye struggled with. When we run block plays, I'm very comfortable with Hoppa swinging around the back, either throwing a cut-out ball, running it himself, or putting a kick through. He played a hand in a couple of tries last night.

Meaney just doesn't offer that much at the moment, and that's not a bad thing he just has to grow and improve as every young player does. My priority is ensuring that Lachie Lewis develops quickly to be our #7, and I think he will reach his potential with the best supporting spine.

That would be 1.Hopoate 6.Foran 7. Lewis 9.Segeyaro.

Don't get me wrong, I like Meaney and think he's a talented player with upside, but from what I've seen from him this year in both first-grade and reggies, I think he'd be better suited developing for one more season.

Thoughts?
Meaney for sure. He's learning his trade in FG, of course he's got a lot of improvement to go. But he's good enough and he has a bit pace that we need. I'd move Hoppa to left centre. He's got a great left to right pass (Cummins you prick).

JTSports

Waterboy
Reaction score
Im happy with Meaney to play there. If our forwards do their job and we have a fast effective hooker who can pass i think a left edge of Lewis, Martin, Hoppa could be pretty effective as Hoppa (left centre) would have time and space to use his silky hands.
Hoppa isn't a centre... he's shown that this year.

He's a fullback through and through.

Meaney can play in NSW Cup, then maybe transition to the wing.
Agreed, Hoppa is wasted at center with his ball-playing ability that he has at fullback. We look A LOT better with him at fullback.

Apercots

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
Problem is we don't have speed at 1 or 9, get segs in at 9 then hoppa at 1 becomes less of a problem

JTSports

Waterboy
Reaction score
Problem is we don't have speed at 1 or 9, get segs in at 9 then hoppa at 1 becomes less of a problem
I agree in a sense, however, I don't like the idea of playing Meaney simply because he's faster than Hoppa. Hoppa's ball skill, strength and positional play is way beyond Meaney's and I don't think Meaney will be ready for 25 rounds of footy next year at the NRL level.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This isnt even up for debate.. Hoppa and Meaney dont belong in the same convo at the moment when it comes to NRL fullback position

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This isnt even up for debate.. Hoppa and Meaney dont belong in the same convo at the moment when it comes to NRL fullback position
I agree. Hoppa might hold down a wing spot in the future.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Meany will get first crack at FB next year.

Know someone on the coaching staff at the knights. They rate meany very highly.... but think poorly of cogger

Dogsville

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
To early to decide. Hoppa has been playing well lately but does lack that burst of speed. Meaney will need to earn by some good play in first few rounds of next year. But if Pay does goes with Meaney to start then Hoppa needs to be on the wing. The biggest improvement as been improving the defense outwide. When Montoya / Hoppa / Mybe were defending it was average at best.

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wing pairing of smith and meany next year for mine with hoppa at the back

Raysie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
With Brett Morris going, it opens up a good chance for us to look at using Meaney on the Wing and slowly shifting he and Hopoate around throughout a game. Similar to how Minichiello and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck used to swap around.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ive been bagging Hopoate for a while. Thats because he is to slow for a FB, he doesnt understand positional play, and he misses tackles.
However, there has been an improvement of late. When he and Montoya were on the same side, the results were disastrous.
Smith has outplayed both Hopoate and Montoya and deserves to stay. Depending on how Crighton goes, Hoppa may be best on the wing.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hoppa isn't a centre... he's shown that this year.

He's a fullback through and through.

Meaney can play in NSW Cup, then maybe transition to the wing.
Agree, some of the best fullbacks the NRL has seen, have started life on the wing...

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree, some of the best fullbacks the NRL has seen, have started life on the wing...
I think I would like to see it shared similar to RTS and Minichello next year. Meaney would fill the role similar to RTS...

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hoppa has impressed me recently, but I can’t shake the image of him being “run around” multiple times last season. When hoppa’s at FB every linebreak becomes a try.
I’d like to give meaney a shot.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I want BurgerMan as fullback

Status
Not open for further replies.