News From leading St George Illawarra’s BBQ-Gate to leading Canterbury

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The man who spearheaded St George Illawarra’s famous ‘BBQ-Gate’ has quickly been promoted to the leadership group at new club Canterbury.
Paul Vaughan was unsure if his rugby league career was over just eight months ago when sacked by the Dragons for hosting a barbecue for a dozen of his teammates during COVID. He was hit with an eight-match ban and $50,000 fine from the NRL as his teammates were given separate sanctions.

Vaughan has not only been shown love by the Bulldogs, he has now been given the nod to join the leadership group, which includes the likes of skipper Josh Jackson, as well as Josh Addo-Carr, fellow former Dragon Matt Dufty, Jeremy Marshall-King, Joe Stimson, Luke Thompson and Brent Naden.

Naden admitted to taking cocaine the night before Penrith’s grand final loss to Melbourne in 2020, and later checked himself into a rehabilitation clinic.
Eagle-eyed TV viewers would have noticed Vaughan as the on-field captain during last Monday’s trial against Cronulla while Jackson was off the field and Tevita Pangai Jr had just lost his cool with Royce Hunt.

Vaughan, 30, played down the extra responsibility that comes with being a leader, but his teammates said he had been the perfect role model, regardless of what went down at the Dragons midway through last year.
Captaincy and leadership has come in all different forms across the NRL clubs this summer, with the Wests Tigers ridiculed for opting with a five-man rotation policy.

The inclusion of Vaughan in the Dogs’ leadership group will come as a surprise to most fans. Even his former coach at the Dragons, Paul McGregor, told Matty Johns during an interview last year that Vaughan “doesn’t like the extra responsibility that comes with leadership”.
“He’s a competitor, he’s led the way, he’s taken a lot of pressure off me because he’s experienced, he speaks up in team chats and shares his experiences with the younger boys,” Jackson said of Vaughan.

“He’s been really impressive ‘Vaughny’.
“From day one he has ripped in, from the wrestle sessions, which are pretty hard, he’s wanted to win, and on the field with running, it’s the same thing. He’s a competitor.”

Dufty said of Vaughan: “He doesn’t understand the other younger forwards in the squad look up to him because he’s played for NSW and Australia.
“This is the best pre-season I’ve seen him have. I’ve known ‘Vaughny’ a long time. He doesn’t need to say much, but he leads with the way he trains.”
Vaughan also steered of any commentary about BBQ-Gate, but knows he is fortunate to have been thrown a Belmore lifeline, and is determined to earn the “respect” of his new teammates.

“It will be a good moment if I do get an opportunity to get it all back again after what happened last year. It was tough,” Vaughan said.
“I set myself the goal to come back and get the best out of myself, and with the one-year deal, each week you need to play your best footy because you have no choice. I’ve pushed all the chips in.

“I’ve played the game long enough to know your football does the talking.
“I have to get that confidence and respect back from the boys, show them I can play good footy, and get their respect first.

“Ideally I wouldn’t want to come to a club and then leave [one season later]. These guys have shown me some trust and faith, and I want to play my best footy for the Dogs.”

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Too many chiefs I think one is enough who stands tall and is consistent each week,too many leaders can backfire and divide the group

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Too many chiefs I think one is enough who stands tall and is consistent each week,too many leaders can backfire and divide the group
Well we need a leadership group when we have a weak leader in JJ.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Happens at every club, I'd say Gutherson might be the most vocal captain in the comp but the Eels still have multiple leaders.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nice to see how Vaughan has handled himself since joining us. A big season and BBQ gate will be forgotten as we all move on from Covid

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hope he earns an extension too we need a strong big guy up front to lead us and show the developing guys the way to go about it.

Total Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
It won’t surprise me to see HMAS Knockonbur become Canterbury Leagues Club President at the rate…. Seriously, how the f{}ck is Pub crawler Stimpson, JMK & even Dufty anywhere near the leadership group ffs??

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
There’s still a long way to go in this rebuild based on those names. JMK needs to concentrate on his own game not have any added responsibility. Stimson has played around a dozen games in 2 years and he’s in the leadership group.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
For some players being thrown into the leadership group might be a better kick up the ass than yelling at them. It kind of puts the onus on them to excel for pride. For the most part people who are wanting to excel for pride will be happier to put in the work than someone who is being yelled at.