Friends say they thought Roberts would die after fight

Status
Not open for further replies.

PigBenis

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
By Nick Walshaw

February 05, 2008 12:00am

THIS is the battered face of Bulldogs star Ben Roberts - only hours after a mate feared he had been punched and kicked to death.

The Daily Telegraph was last night given a detailed insight into the wild Wollongong brawl that left Roberts bloodied and unconscious for up to three minutes.

Long before police subdued him with capsicum spray, it's alleged the New Zealand international was set upon by a group of bouncers from the Glasshouse Nightclub.

Bulldogs forward Lee Te Maari, who was also partying inside the club, has since told Belmore officials how he raced outside to find his mate being kicked unconscious on the ground.

"Lee reckons Ben was totally lifeless," an insider explained. "Honestly thought he was dead.

"So Lee then tried to get in there and do something to help his mate but was also beaten up."

The pair yesterday drove to Wollongong to give their version of events to local police and ask that charges be laid against their attackers.

"I spoke to Ben many times (on Sunday) and understand that he's been very badly beaten," Bulldogs boss Malcolm Noad confirmed yesterday.

"He needed medical attention on the night and will be undergoing a brain scan through the club.

"He is at pains to point out that he was beaten quite badly and he wants police to investigate."

According to eyewitness accounts, security asked Roberts to leave the nightclub after becoming involved in an argument with another patron.

However, upon reaching the door, the Belmore playmaker questioned why he was the only one being ejected.

Security are then alleged to have asked him to discuss the matter across the street - whereupon up to five bouncers punched him to the ground and then repeatedly kicked him.

Police reports will suggest Roberts was only moderately intoxicated.

He was taken by friends to Wollongong Hospital before returning to the venue, where he was later subdued by police and charged with resisting arrest.

The Narellan Jets junior, who had a conviction for drink-driving overturned last year, will appear in Wollongong Local Court later this month.

Noad yesterday dismissed calls for a total booze ban on his players.

"We can't tell players not to drink," the chief executive said.

"We try to instil the right values . . . and we believe the majority of players do the right thing all the time."

Noad also denied his club was too soft on errant Dogs and said he would wait for both police and internal investigations to take their course before deciding on a punishment.

"I'm not necessarily saying that it's not his fault. The fact is that he did put himself in that position and the coaching staff and management have tried to advise our players that nothing good happens after midnight, particularly in a nightclub."

Roberts yesterday confirmed to the Telegraph that he would be pursuing the matter, but would not comment further.
View attachment 9496

View attachment 9497

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
2 sides to every story, I hope Robert's side was the right one.

gregh23

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Always two sides but this sounds very very serious. Regardless of what happened, they are very lucky their injuries weren't more serious than it turned out to be.

..shurrup..

Kennel Established
Reaction score
wow thats interesting...hope roberts side is the correct one

T

TdoggBulldog

because our boys got bashed fairly badly doubt the club will even fine them coz they look like the victims and we are playing the victim card anyway.

H

Haztrick

I feel very sorry for both of them. I wish them the best recovery. Farking bouncers.

M

MikeyP..

damn thats crazy, hope they getter better. Those bouncers can suck mah chocolate salty balls.

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Bouncers are always known to take Matters in to their Own hands too far... I can't really say who was is the Wrong but I'm sure they was no need to leave Ben unconscious on the Floor. Thee obviously more to the story.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
most bouncers ive come across are alright. was one skinhead roid pumping one though at mooseheads that wanted to take me some of my mates "around the back"

****ing nazi.

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
most bouncers ive come across are alright. was one skinhead roid pumping one though at mooseheads that wanted to take me some of my mates "around the back"

****ing nazi.
Roids & Bouncers are a Perfect match... They both can F*ck up your System... I remember one in Darling Harbor it the Wine & Steak Diner or something like that. Some Dude dropped something in the BAR AREA which required some sought of V.I.P, well that's what I thought. The dude was infact a Paying customer but the Bouncer for some reason didn't want to hear it and the Dude got shouldered to the Floor, Strange.

farenhyt

Kennel Established
Reaction score
hahahaha

i know aye better add a just joking in there somewhere before the riot squad rocks up at my house

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
hey! **** you stevie

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
hahahaha

i know aye better add a just joking in there somewhere before the riot squad rocks up at my house
lol would be good for a laugh if actually did end up on the front page haha

but no we cant have that :p

::JuSt-BLaZe::

`ashley.
Reaction score
pfft i bet you he picked a fight..

if they were asked to leave, they should have just left. they are professional footballers, they should know that they can't take many risks because the media will jump all over any spot of trouble they get into.

B

BULLDOG GEORGE

by the look of his face he got the tripe bashed out of him.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Thought he would die...FFS drama queens. Ive done more damage to myself on a big night out lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.