News Fresh outlook has Kikau thriving as Bulldogs fire

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bulldogs star Viliame Kikau has credited a fresh outlook on football as the inspiration for his stunning start to the season.

The edge forward has played a key role in Canterbury's surge up the ladder this year and currently sits sixth in the Dally M standings.

Kikau arrived at Belmore last season as a highly-prized recruit following back-to-back titles at Penrith, but endured a frustrating first season with the club as he was limited to just nine matches due to a series of injuries.

Having already played seven games in 2024, the 29-year-old concedes he was placing too much pressure on himself to deliver and revealed he has adopted a new mindset this year.

"It's been a really challenging 12 months for me," Kikau said. "Coming to the club, I was wanting to put my best foot forward and gain the trust from the players and the trust and respect from the team itself.

"It didn't work out for me last year. I stepped away, worked on myself mentally, I couldn't do much about the [injuries], injuries happen, but I wanted to make sure I put in a good pre-season in the summer and hopefully it plays out this year."

Kikau now views the injuries of the past year as a blessing in disguise and revealed it allowed him to reset both physically and mentally.

The time away from the game provided an opportunity to establish what he needed to do to return to the form that saw him become one of the most dangerous forwards in the game.

Eventually Kikau realised the best way to help his team was to focus on why the Bulldogs signed him in the first place.

"Maybe I was [putting too much pressure on myself]," he said. "I was just trying my best, that's all I've always done. I was trying to put my best foot forward and injuries kept piling up for me in the last 12 months.

"It was probably a blessing in disguise for me. I got away from the game a bit, it gave me time to work on my mental stuff and it's good to come into this year with a fresh mindset.

"I'm just controlling what I can control and [focusing on] being present and staying in the moment. I'm coming to training just worried about myself and my job. When I feel like I'm doing my job and if the team does their job, everything works out."

Kikau’s form comes as the Bulldogs prepare to return to action against the Wests Tigers on Saturday after having the bye last week.

IMG_4371.jpegIMG_4370.jpeg

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
He would have been in a dark place last year losing his father
, some serious injuries then watching his old club achieve a 3peat while his new club finished bottom 4.

Strong faith and desire. He is killing it this year and deserves all the praise he is getting. He is a big part of our turn around.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If he just plays with a simple mindset of

1. running hard
2. Defending

He will terrorise a lot of the opposition players

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We’re starting to see the true value of this man and he’s now a leader in our ranks. His legacy is back on track… it was very difficult to assess him last season with all the injuries with his fitness questionable due to those injuries but he’s come back this season bigger and better.

I have to add, Critta’s inclusion this year is driving up everyone’s standards, maybe we will look back at the journey and say he may have been the most crucial pick up for us but without doubt, Gus has been the most important pick up for the club, his smarts, patience and influences have steered the club in the right direction - I really hope he sees out his footy club career with us and becomes a Bulldog legend.

alwaysthesun

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I saw a snippet a couple of weeks ago the fox said Kiks puts photos up of whoever he’s going after in the next game
Even funnier was I'm sure Fox said he has also put it as screensaver