French side won't release Gower without Crowe visit

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MrCharisma

A HOLLYWOOD ransom has been placed on Craig Gower's NRL comeback, with his French rugby side Bayonne declaring there will be no release unless Russell Crowe visits the seaside village.

Bayonne officials are aware of rumours linking Gower to a cameo return to Australia later this year, and recently considered what they would demand in exchange for a temporary release.

Given they are loath to let their star recruit go, the club's management placed the high price on Gower's return.

Realising Crowe's connection with South Sydney, Bayonne decided only a personal visit from the Gladiator himself would suffice.

"They want Russell Crowe to come to the town because it's a tourist town and it would put Bayonne on the map," a source close to Gower's camp said.

"It was something that Bayonne suggested.

"If Gower were to be released, the club would want compensation and that's what they suggested."

"That's the only way they are ever going to release Craig Gower to play in the NRL this year."

The French off-season runs from June to September, meaning that Gower would only be available for about 10 weeks.

His French-based manager Pierre Vandome was in Sydney this week but could not be contacted for comment last night.

Crowe, however, is highly unlikely to reciprocate and Souths have not entertained approaching the 29-year-old. His Rabbitohs partner Peter Holmes a Court said the proposal was "unrealistic".

"People have got to understand that we can't and we don't guarantee them Russell Crowe," Holmes a Court said.

Gower has previously been linked with the Bulldogs, but his Australian-based manager Greg Willett yesterday conceded a release from Bayonne would be "extremely difficult".

If Gower is to leave Bayonne during the off-season it will now most likely be to English rugby club Saracens, alongside former Wallabies coach Eddie Jones. It is believed Gower wants to hone his skills at No. 10 ahead of a tilt at the Italian playmaker's role for the Azzuri's upcoming internationals.

DT

Kim Possible

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
FCUK OFF CROWE.. grrrr this is why I hate him.. he ****ing uses his hollywood status, and treats Souths like a ****ing handbag.

Bec

Waterboy
Reaction score
HAHA thats the funniest thing i've heard all week. what losers

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
lol man, THE BULLDOGS SHOULD AT ALL COSTS GET GOWER HE WOULD BE SO GOOD FOR THEM!

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
:roflol: so he would play for 10 weeks. It would take him like 5 weeks to gel with the team, and mayb 1 outstanding game. Ummmm he prob would accomplish more than DJ would but yeah thats way 2 risky lol

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
Nah, I mean actually get a full release and sign him for 2 years or 3

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
Nah, I mean actually get a full release and sign him for 2 years or 3
he loves his frog legs though, and from what i was told, he is so living it up there, i doubt he'd return

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
1.2mil under the cap I'm sure he would come for a 500k contract and the way your halves situation is @ the bulldogs and the lack of quality halves he is definitely worth that money and a outside back for about 350k and one prop for 350k then the bulldogs will be competitive they just need atleast one top prop, a good 7 and an outside back to replace tonga.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
TBH if it were up to me i'd sign up:

Ben Hannant 230-250k
Anthony Tupou 300-350k
Matt Cooper 300k (if not then a morris brother)
Gower 400k.

Im pretty sure were gonna lose a few others so we shud b under the cap

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score

Ben Hannant 230-250k
Anthony Tupou 300-350k
Gower 400k.

That would be great too how much more competitive would the team be with those additions

deimus

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

Ben Hannant 230-250k
Anthony Tupou 300-350k
Gower 400k.

Hannant: agree we could use him up front
Tupou: We don't need a 11,12 or 13
Gower and Cooper: Age, they're just past their prime

Just my opinion though I been wrong a million times before.

Sull

Whitaker Eye
Reaction score
I heard Mulholland at NSW Cup saying that Penrith are holding their "no NRL comeback" clause strong. No chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.