Freddy & Joey on Matt Burton

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Freddy and Joey say something outrageous or Freddy makes bizarre decisions and selections in Origin and the whole Kennel says they're on drugs again and have no clue, constantly talk shit etc..

Freddy and Joey say something that most of the Kennel agree with and all of a sudden their opinion is gospel and their immortal skills mean they know better than anyone about everything..
Pure TK.

Rassayri

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We should make a play for Luai throw Burton in the centres now that no one is available and we have all that money that way I’ll spine will be settled

soc123_au

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Whenever Luai was in Origin or cleary out, Burton was at 6 for Riff and he killed it.

Your point isn't actually a point. Burton played 6 all his junior career. Ain't a project douche
He had 40 good minutes against the Sharks and pretty much sucked the rest of the time. He looked a gun 6 in Cup, trials & a few games where he came off the bench and we were full strength. As an Origin back up he was very disappointing.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Cant tackle but...
Just a suggestion for a position he is maybe more suited to \_(ツ)_/¯.

Will have to learn to tackle no matter where he plays if he wants to be the complete player.

Lock may be easier for him to learn defence? He can just apply himself in defence and have a bit more time bc he is slow to react to guys in front of him?

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Just a suggestion for a position he is maybe more suited to \_(ツ)_/¯.

Will have to learn to tackle no matter where he plays if he wants to be the complete player.

Lock may be easier for him to learn defence? He can just apply himself in defence and have a bit more time bc he is slow to react to guys in front of him?
For a bloke who can’t tackle it’s unreal that he’s played for Australia and NSW and won a premiership. And he’s only 23.

He should retire as I’m sure TK will have a ready made replacement to spend his $1.5 million a season on

PeteHazz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
My views on Burton are spread across the dozens of Burton threads

He needs to improve a great deal. He needs much more consistency

I see no other 6 available on the market that will do better in our team. None.

There is no one in our club that will be a better 6. Now or as far as at least I can see

I read somewhere Munster started at FB and became a gun 6. At Melbourne. He's also a once-in-a-generation player. Just happened he went from 1 to 6

Over the years we have done the opposite in recruitment to the best clubs. Cut Thurston, then panicked and overpaid Mbye. Cut James Graham, bought aaron woods (woods, FFS!!!). Let's not do this with Burton

Outside a class 7, playing with width from a skilful 13, with some good coaching, he's a longterm cornerstone of our club. Much as I hate his inconsistency, I haven't seen a single suggestion that made me think "Yes!! that's better".

Fitler's views?! Let him pick a coherent side, just once, then I'll listen.

Joey? If it doesn't end in 'castle, he's not paying proper attention. Irrespective, how many 6's qualify under Joey's rules? Tyson Gamble?!

I hate our results. I swear at the TV, kick my beanie across the house in disgust. Rant and rave when we play poorly (so pretty much all the time). Not once have I thought, get this Burton clown to the centres.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah & Freddy though Pangai was an origin player & Talakai was an origin player & he thought playing fullbacks as centers worked in Origin. Frddy is on another planet most of the time and Joey....should i start on Joey or just leave it alone.....

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
So one in the NRL.

The tackling is a concern but it was never an issue at Penrith or NSW or Australia. So it’s an attitude thing at the bulldogs and let’s face it the whole team has the tackling issue not just one or two players. It’s a club attitude issue

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
So one in the NRL.

The tackling is a concern but it was never an issue at Penrith or NSW or Australia. So it’s an attitude thing at the bulldogs and let’s face it the whole team has the tackling issue not just one or two players. It’s a club attitude issue
I just named him because I'd swap half our team for him lol

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep but that’s the issue mate. Who is he blocking ?

Rhajab?
Hayward ?

I have a theory about Burton and how I reckon he could develop into a very good five eighth. Stick with me here because it may sound absurd but here goes …

Fucking give him some decent fucking coaching and improve him as a fucking play fucking maker.

A bit left field but let’s try it
Cant argue with that logic! :tearsofjoy:
As for who he is blocking.....I hope some wiser eyes are scouring the country along with NZ etc to gather some talented players in all positions & that will include halves. Not sure that anyone currently in the club is currently being "blocked"..

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Burton is fine at 6 when hes on. Hes a running 6 only, he couldnt organise a root in a brothel. Hes struggled for consistency but the side around him also doing so and the ever changing 7 situation havent helped. You can still count on 1 hand how many matches hes played with the current 7

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
For a bloke who can’t tackle it’s unreal that he’s played for Australia and NSW and won a premiership. And he’s only 23.

He should retire as I’m sure TK will have a ready made replacement to spend his $1.5 million a season on
Seems weird hey lol but nevertheless he is not leading or creating for the team as he needs to and his defence has fallen off too.

For a player who appears to be so gifted, he looks disinterested.
Still have faith he will find the kind of form he is capable of tho :grinning:

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I swear some people never read posts properly and instead jump on the one mention of any reasons why he's struggling as an "excuse" and ignore the 20 comments made before that where that person says his form has been shit, he deserves blame etc..

Most people in this thread have been critical of him. Instead you make it seem like everyone is saying it's anyone's fault but his.

Explain how everyone can be hammering Ciraldo for being a useless coach and Baz before him, but when you bring it up in relation to a player, Ciraldo not coaching well has nothing to do with anything? Both things can be true... There's plenty of blame to go around...
some of moe’s comments relate to Gus’ comments on 100% footy where he was asked the same question by Gallen. Gus’ response was pretty much what moe said, “he needs to have xyz around him” haha but Gus didn’t say he needed a better coach.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Freddy and Joey say something outrageous or Freddy makes bizarre decisions and selections in Origin and the whole Kennel says they're on drugs again and have no clue, constantly talk shit etc..

Freddy and Joey say something that most of the Kennel agree with and all of a sudden their opinion is gospel and their immortal skills mean they know better than anyone about everything..
I will say that alot of the shit selections by Freddy didn't generally revolve around the halves over the years. Stefano and TPJ for example.

When they talk about halves I tend to agree with what they have to say more often than not, as they played those positions at an elite level. Freddy also played 6 and centre, so as much as I don't like the bloke hes more than likely right.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Definitely not in our side. Him and Reed defending together in the middle is a recipe for missed tackles
Yes probably right with the way they are playing atm. I was thinking if CC got the team firing. Burto looks like he is just too big, and getting bigger, to be a nimble 5/8.