Fox NRL Then VS Now

Status
Not open for further replies.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Whn I get time im really enjoying watching the old games from 80s and up to mid 90s on Foxs NRL Channel

The game then was so much better than the 'product' now

So many more real footballers with vision ans a natural ability to read the game, not just the athlete types of today and the robotic movements in attack

Of course seeing old Dogs players is a treat, and even though I hated other teams and their players growing up, I find myself appreciating players like Cliffy Lyons, Greg Alexander, Ricky Stuart, Allan Langer, Laurie Daley, and even players like Gary Freeman and there are many more I cant be bothered to mention

NSW had so many talented halves back then to choose from, its no wonder we struggle to win a series these days, as we struggle to even find 1 decent halfback in the whole state.. its a reflection of how the competion is much inferior in rugby league quality than from 20years + ago..

Apart from having halves with good vision and not being scared to try things, teams looked like they played with more passion, and rivalries really meant somthing.

Cant help but think money, a more scientific approach to football (even though it can bring some positives) has effected the game in a way that we will never go back from.

Its a shame. I thoroughly enjoy watching the old games on show at moment and prefer it to much of what see during the NRL season apart from Dogs games (which have been frusterating for a fair few years anyway)

Last edited:

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Wrestling and the refs ruined it. Rugby League reached its peak from 1988 until 2005.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Whn I get time im really enjoying watching the old games from 80s and up to mid 90s on Foxs NRL Channel

The game then was so much better than the 'product' now

So many more real footballers with vision ans a natural ability to read the game, not just the athlete types of today and the robotic movements in attack

Of course seeing old Dogs players is a treat, and even though I hated other teams and their players growing up, I find myself appreciating players like Cliffy Lyons, Greg Alexander, Ricky Stuart, Allan Langer, Laurie Daley, and even players like Gary Freeman and there are many more I cant be bothered to mention

NSW had so many talented halves back then to choose from, its no wonder we struggle to win a series these days, as we struggle to even find 1 decent halfback in the whole state.. its a reflection of how the competion is much inferior in rugby league quality than from 20years + ago..

Apart from having halves with good vision and not being scared to try things, teams looked like they played with more passion, and rivalries really meant somthing.

Cant help but think money, a more scientific approach to football (even though it can bring some positives) has effected the game in a way that we will never go back from.

Its a shame. I thoroughly enjoy watching the old games on show at moment and prefer it to much of what I say during the NRL season apart from Dogs games (which have been frusterating for a fair few years anyway)
My understanding is that they changed the rules in NSW for kids footy something about having to pass the footy, which has stifled the production of halfbacks in NSW. QLD did not have that rule in their competitions so it did not affect them. I believe that the rule was changed a few years back, but the damage has been done as you can see from the Origin arena.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
My understanding is that they changed the rules in NSW for kids footy something about having to pass the footy, which has stifled the production of halfbacks in NSW. QLD did not have that rule in their competitions so it did not affect them. I believe that the rule was changed a few years back, but the damage has been done as you can see from the Origin arena.
Yeah I remember the rule use to be 3 points for a try if the dummy half or first receiver scored and 4 points if anyone else scored so the coaches would make us pass it out a few times. it's why NSW has shit halves and hookers.

Status
Not open for further replies.