Forwards are the problem nothing else

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
I'm sick of people blaming losses on hazem, DJ, Huges, Morrin, etc etc
So i thought I would make this thread to give you some stats on your forwards and realize that in the now 10interchange game FIELD POSITION IS EVERYTHING sadly your forwards couldn't get it and the roosters could and as such they were always down your end bombing your wingers and making your defense tired. I put some effort into this so read it and comment.

Metres Made By Bulldogs Forwards
(I'll class forwards as 8-13 and any interchange forwards)
Hickey - 8 hitups, 83 metres
Hughes - 0 hitups, 34 metres
Cleal - 10 hitups, 71 metres
SBW - 7 hitups, 130 metres
Ryan - 7 hitups, 51 metres
Te Mari - 4 hitups 51 metres
Armit - 2 hitups, 32 metres
Morrin - 4 hitups, 35 metres
Willaims - 3 hitups, 21 metres

Metres Made By Roosters Forwards

O'meley - 15 hitups, 155metres
Brown - 0 hitups, 12 metres
Myles - 8 hitups, 102 metres
Mason - 12 hitups, 128 metres
Tupou - 10 hitups, 100 metres
Fitzgibbin - 11 hitups, 132 metres
Paea - 7 hitups, 85 metres
Shillington - 10 hitups, 148 metres(bench forward made more hitups and metres than all of your forwards)

*Other things to take note of*

*Roosters with 8 forwards make a total of 73 hitups for 850 metres*
*Bulldog's with 9 forwards make a total of 45 hitupis for 505 metres*

Smiley

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
thanks for putting so much effort into the stats, it is quite clear we were smashed up front. i agree that our forwards were softies on friday. that is not always the case. let's hope they make a bigger effort next week.

LG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
firstly, alot of it can be out down to the fact roosters had more pill

secondly, of cource we are gonna be out played by the roosters pack, they are one of the best in the comp, probally the best

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
Not really, cause this is a different, wouldn't you think it would look silly if i put a post that long to reply to a thread lol.

The Beer Baron

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What about the stats for the other games, especially the ones we one. 90% of the time, the team with the forward pack with the most metres wins. We are nopt going to win every game, hell, I'll be happy if we make the 8. We don't have a star studded forward pack of a few years ago and we don't have any 'super-subs' like we did a few years ago. Our inexperienced forwards just need more time.

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
roosters forwards made too much ground and it was too easy for them in each set. somehow our pack needs to find a way to make more metres with an inexperienced pack.

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
lol, any team in the comp will outdo the tigers pack and souths are useless anyway hahahaha

olddognewtricks

Waterboy
Reaction score
I reckon too much emphasis is being made on the fowards being dominated on Friday night.... How many tries did the Roosters score from kicks again?? How many chances in the early part of the first half did the bulldogs create but were unable to execute any fluent plays close to the line??

Our fowards were great early on but our halves and backs couldnt capitilise with points on the board...so its expected they'd drain out not only physically but confidence levels also. Tellin ya if we scored 1 or 2 tries early, wouldve been a different ball game..Dominance in matches changes very easily these days!

In saying that, i'd like to see Charlie Leano in the top grade... looks like he can give us impact at crucial stages!

Bulldog Power

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I reckon too much emphasis is being made on the fowards being dominated on Friday night.... How many tries did the Roosters score from kicks again?? How many chances in the early part of the first half did the bulldogs create but were unable to execute any fluent plays close to the line??

if you give up field position all game then your probably going to concede some tries to kicks

when we owned go foward (2002-2004) we scored tonnes of tries from kicks

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score

Our fowards were great early on but our halves and backs couldnt capitilise with points on the board...so its expected they'd drain out not only physically but confidence levels also. Tellin ya if we scored 1 or 2 tries early, wouldve been a different ball game..Dominance in matches change very easily these days!

In saying that, i'd like to see Charlie Leano in the top grade... looks like he can give us impact at crucial stages!
The whole point is there they had way 2 many chances in bulldogs half and bulldogs forwards placed no pressure on the kickers. If the pack didn't play so awful they wouldn't of had 35060447568 chances to put attacking kicks in.

kimlo

ADMlN
Reaction score
Yeah lol but i didn't see your post when i was typign mine look at the time i posted it.

PineappleBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol, any team in the comp will outdo the tigers pack and souths are useless anyway hahahaha
He has a point

But majority of roosters meteres were made in second half where we were so ****in tired from constant defending. Second half our defensive line werent even running up the 10 meters because they were so worn out.

If you could find the first half meters id be interested because that was more evenly matched.

olddognewtricks

Waterboy
Reaction score
Fair point.. but remember we had a strong pack from 05-07 also and we've seen plenty matches where the dogs' have been dominated in a similar fashion even with Mason, O'Meley, Myles and Co on board.

I dont disagree that our starch in the fowards has dropped but thats where changing the structure in which you play comes into it. Did the Tigers have an awesome pack in 2005??

Bulldogs need to make up for their lack of go foward by perfecting a greater attacking game and tiring/denting the opposition in other areas.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm sick of people blaming losses on hazem, DJ, Huges, Morrin, etc etc
So i thought I would make this thread to give you some stats on your forwards and realize that in the now 10interchange game FIELD POSITION IS EVERYTHING sadly your forwards couldn't get it and the roosters could and as such they were always down your end bombing your wingers and making your defense tired. I put some effort into this so read it and comment.

*Roosters with 8 forwards make a total of 73 hitups for 850 metres*
*Bulldog's with 9 forwards make a total of 45 hitupis for 505 metres*

Good points all of them.

Chooks did have all the ball after 20mins though, and you can make stats say what you like, eg. 5 EASY tries off kicks which demoralised a young team.

Remember there were times against good teams last year eg. VS Cowboys,Parra,Broncs where our star studded pack was owned and we lost the games.
Part of it is personnel sure, part of is how you use your personnel. We had Mase& O'Meley last year, and the Cowboys reserve grade pack gave it to us 2x toward the end of last year. We need to play smarter footy from the outset. The chooks had the personnel to play a low risk brand of footy, grind up the guts and from 30m out...blitzkrieg the wingers. They didn't need to take chances, and compressed their defence and choked and ultimately exhausted our forwards.

We were out thought, and out executed and undermanned...this experience will serve us well.
I don't believe we should give up on this year because our forwards are cream puffs, we need to player smarter and use what we've got better.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Fair point.. but remember we had a strong pack from 05-07 also and we've seen plenty matches where the dogs' have been dominated in a similar fashion even with Mason, O'Meley, Myles and Co on board.

I dont disagree that our starch in the fowards has dropped but thats where changing the structure in which you play comes into it. Did the Tigers have an awesome pack in 2005??

Bulldogs need to make up for their lack of go foward by perfecting a greater attacking game and tiring/denting the opposition in other areas.
Bravo olddognewtricks...couldn't agree more!

Status
Not open for further replies.