Former England captain joins Knights

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kim Possible

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Former England cricket captain joins Northern
Thursday, 06 December 2007

Former England captain Andrew Strauss is to play in New Zealand's State Shield and Twenty20 competitions for the Northern Knights on a short-term contract for January and February.

The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) confirmed the contract today for the left-handed batsman, who was left out of the England squad for the test series in Sri Lanka because of poor form.

England are playing a test and one-day series in New Zealand, starting on February 5, and Strauss is hoping that he can play his way back into the side.

"I am very focused on getting selected for this tour, winning my place back, and making sure I build on the success I have had to date personally, as well as helping England win test matches," said opener Strauss, who has played 43 tests and averages 40.79.

"I am really excited about the possibility of playing cricket in New Zealand ahead of England's tour there in the New Year."

Strauss, who made his England debut in 2004, was made captain in 2006 because of injuries to Michael Vaughan and his stand-in Andrew Flintoff.

-Reuters

Status
Not open for further replies.