Former Bulldogs playmaker Braith Anasta says halfback Moses Mbye’s game has gone backwards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Former Bulldogs playmaker Braith Anasta says halfback Moses Mbye’s game has gone backwards

FORMER Bulldogs playmaker Braith Ansata believes Moses Mbye has “been held back” as a player and claims the 23-year-old’s game has gone backwards since becoming the club’s first-choice half.

When Trent Hodkinson left for Newcastle last year, Mbye was put into the No.7 alongside Josh Reynolds in what looked like an exciting combination - yet ultimately left many fans feeling deflated.

Anasta was one of those people who was far from impressed with what he saw.

“I’ve watched a lot of Moses Mbye in the 20s and I think he’s been held back,” Anasta told foxsports.com.au.

“At times you see him get in open space and no one catches him. He’s one of the quickest halves in the game but he’s got skill and a passing game.

“He’s got everything they need but I feel like his game has gone backwards a little bit because of how much control they give their forwards.

Moses Mbye of the Bulldogs scores a try.Source: Getty Images
“In attack there’s too much emphasis on the Bulldogs’ forwards.”

An instinctual player, Mbye is at his best when he’s playing what he sees but his creativity has been stifled; lacking direction at times and with the forwards touching too much of the ball in key moments and on crucial plays.

That’s why Anasta has challenged Reynolds to bite the bullet and direct the team this season, so 23-year-old Mbye can flourish.

http://supercoach.com.au/?code=nrl&game=classic&source=foxsports
“Reynolds has got to have that control but I don’t know if Reynolds has got it (in him) either,” Anasta said.

“Reynolds is more an off-the-cuff player himself. That’s where they could be going wrong.

“They’ve got [Michael] Lichaa in there. He’s only a young bloke too. He doesn’t really have that ability like when [Michael] Ennis was there to get them to certain places on the field or take control.

“None of them are really dominant, which is why their forwards get so much ball.

“Reynolds is the obvious choice to try and be that leader to take the pressure off Mbye and Lichaa, and let them play eyes-up, instinctive football.

“That’s what they’ve got to do. They need a dominant nine, six or seven and play footy off the back of that.”

For Anasta, who spent six years playing in the halves for the Bulldogs, the kicking game is another area of concern.

While he expects it was a tactic of coach Des Hasler’s to have his players die with the ball on the last rather than kick throughout stages of last season, it’s an approach that needs revamping if the Bulldogs are going to be a premiership threat.
https://fantasy.foxsports.com.au/nrl/predictor/tipping/#login
“It’s a bit of an unknown for the Dogs,” he said.

“The key for me is they’ve got to give their halves more control. They’ve got to be more dominant, call the shots, get the ball when they want it and they’ve got to improve their kicking game.

“I don’t know if it was a ploy from Hasler, I think it was because eight or nine times in games last year they were tackled on the last.

“Their kicking game needs to improve and their halves need to be given free rein.”

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...s/news-story/8b6e8698231ec007930b79114eaee1b6

Nothing we already know

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Why is it so hard for an experienced half to take control of the team and still play a running game? The expectation really should be placed on Reynolds, he played with Hodkinson long enough (IMO I believe we lost a lot when Trent left).

And kicking game, FFS, how hard is a kicking game? It's piss easy and given that they are FULL TIME professionals, there's no excuses for not having a kicking game. Hell bring in Sherwin or Lamb to teach our halves how to kick.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Hey Braith... what a nice tattoo you have... FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE!!!

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Incorrect. Mbye just hasn't gone forward.

The only thing that went backwards was Anastas career after he left the dogs.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The more negative articles the better I believe
We might wake up and smell the coffee sooner rather than later

Reactions: DT

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree he hasn't gone forward which is like going backwards for a young player. He can kick and pass fine but doesn't do either consistently well. His long balls are generally 'throw and hope' - he needs a bit more control.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
played some hooker aswell but that may have been NSW cup
That was in the QLD 20s. Basically he played in every key attacking position other than halfback yet Des decided he will wear the 7 in firstgrade.

ALX25

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
How's Jodi?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
(IMO I believe we lost a lot when Trent left).
Yeah...we lost a lot when he left....a lot of inconsistent, injury riddled dead weight. :P

Sorry. I couldn't resist. I am really glad he's not around any more.

What's this myth that Hodko had a kicking game? Do I remember a completely different player? Hodko's kicking was inconsistent at best. I remember month after month of watching him struggling to kick the ball 30m and hitting the fullback and wingers on ther full with routine regularity.

I think Des is a problem, but we're better off without Hodko. Hodko is one of the most inconsistent, injury plagued under involved organisational type halves I've ever seen. We must remember totally different players. 70 percent of the time he played for us he looked disinterested and ineffectual to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.