Former 80s player passes away

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogkat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...t-police-funeral/story-e6freuy9-1226216341482

Former NSW Detective Owen 'Doc' Halliday to be farewelled at police funeral

NSW Detective Owen 'Doc' Halliday mixed it with some of Sydney's roughest and dirtiest criminals - invariably coming out the winner.
Detective Halliday will be given a full police funeral tomorrow attended by the states top officers after he lost his battle with motor-neurone disease earlier this week.

Halliday, 60, was responsible for bringing Mr Rent-a-kill, Christopher Dale Flannery back to Sydney after he went into hiding in Melbourne in the 80's.

"He was the most tenacious detectives I have known,'' said Deputy Police Commissioner Nick Kaldas yesterday.

"Doc had a sense of fairness you don't often see and had an incredible disdain for bullies. He was not only a great detective but a wonderful father and a terrifc bloke.''

Halliday was a mentor to many of the states now senior police and worked on some the most high-profile cases in the 80's.

These included, the The Family Law Court bombings, the murder of Justice David OPAS and the murders of the Turkish consul and his body guard in the eastern suburbs.

He also investigated the gangland murders in the 80's of underworld figures Mick Sayers and Roy Thurgar .

Halliday, or Doc as he was known joined the force in 1968 as a police cadet and was sworn in as a constable in 1970.

A lot of his career was centred around the Balmain area where he became known to locals, both good and bad.

Besides a passion for the police force Halliday was a talented footballer playing first grade Rugby league for the Canterbury Bulldogs in the 80's in the legendary when they were called the "Entertainers.""

Halliday retired as a decorated Detective Sergeant in 2003.

A service will be held at Macquarie Park Crematorium today at 12.30pm.

He is survived by his wife Kay and his two sons Shane and Chad, both serving NSW police officers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Abdul..

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
RIP Doc.

But 80's player? That is my era and have never heard of him.

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
Rest in peace Doc

Tried to see if he played first grade for the club, his name didn't come up..he was possibly a lower grader??

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Rugby League Project site doesn't seem to think he played First Grade.

Who are you going to believe - those guys or the Telegraph?

Aaron

Utai Slam
Reaction score
He did not play first grade for the Bulldogs.

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
RIP Doc.

ps well done to the DT for some more outstanding journalism..

Status
Not open for further replies.