Football Expansion

Where should the FFA focus the games expansion?

• Nationally

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • In high demand areas such as Melbourne and Sydney

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

PantherPower83

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
While watching The World Game on SBS, I heard an issue regarding the expansion of the game.

Should the FFA continue to expand the game nationally? i.e. Townsville, Gold Coast and the like OR should the FFA capitalise and concentrate on the football hungry areas? i.e. Western Sydney and a second Victorian team

I personally think that creating a Western Sydney team is imperative and should be done sooner rather than later. There is a wealth of talent in the area.

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Nah, One Sydney Team Is Enough & the Crowd Numbers tell the Entire Story. A Second Victrian Team will Do Greatly to the A-League since Sydney Crowds & other NSW City Crowd Numbers Suck.

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I also Reckon a 2nd Team from Queensland or a Team from Canberra will be The Next Best Move. I'm also hoping that an Illwarra/Wollongong Team will join The Competition Soon.

D

D0ggyStylz

A League is not ready for expansion. don't want to spread the talent too thin.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
2 extra teams wont hurt i dont think...

dont mind adding townsville and than later add a wollongong team

D

D0ggyStylz

level of football will drop if they bring in another 2 teams.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
yeah and how many of our soccer juniors are pissing off to europe/asia because they are being selected by these a league clubs?

D

D0ggyStylz

That is why before more teams are established a junior structure needs to be set up...eg a Sydney FC youth team that plays matches. We need that in place to build the talent and then expand. Well, that is my opinion anyway.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
well firstly the a-league needs better structure before they can start up a new youth summer comp...

atm the clubs dont have the finance except Melbourne to pay their youth players...

chris_e_fresh

The Virtual One
Reaction score
townsville and the gong

when sydney gets 40k ppl to every game which it wont cause sydney fans are stooges we can think about a 2nd team

PantherPower83

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think they base it on population and an average crowd attendance of 10K. Sydney has a population of 5 Million and apparantly this is more than enough to field two Sydney based teams. The initial blueprint was for three Sydney based teams.

It's not so much a question of if, but more so when? A western Sydney team is inevitable.

They are also looking making the pre-season cup to be a competition where state teams and regional teams can also play and gives them a chance to come up against a Sydney FC or a QLD Roar.

It's all very interesting and can't wait until it all happens. I guess at this stage we will have to wait as they take it one step at a time

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We Need a Youth Competition First then we can think about Expansion. It's time get a solid Reserve's Competition & Stop losing our Up & Coming Talent to Europe.

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I reckon the NSL is A good Reason of Why you shouldn't let Too Many Teams be eligible of entering the Competition.

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hence the fact that the More Teams that come in the A-League more, Money + More Chances for Up & Coming Aussie Players to get a CHANCE at the Big Time Leagues & at the Moment that's what the A-League Needs

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No more teams!

Bring in a second grade competition with different teams and see how it developes. Eventually a promotion/relegation system would be good to see!

billybulldog

Waterboy
Reaction score
I think a 2nd Sydney team is needed. I live out in Sydney's West and I cannot really get into Sydney FC. I keep an eye on their results but nothing more.
To me they are not really my team. A team from Sydney's West on the other hand I can see myself getting into. Many of our good players are from the West
e.g. Kewell and Cahill,Emerton etc. Although they don't play in the A-league it is a very good nursery for talented players.

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No more teams!

Bring in a second grade competition with different teams and see how it developes. Eventually a promotion/relegation system would be good to see!
He no, especially in Australian Soccer. All the Relegated Clubs will become Amatuer and loose complete support & with the Salary Cap, Last Year's Champions could bcome this Year's Relegated Team but a Reserve's competition would definately be needed if the A-League is to produce top players for the Future.

Parra_Power

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think a 2nd Sydney team is needed. I live out in Sydney's West and I cannot really get into Sydney FC. I keep an eye on their results but nothing more.
To me they are not really my team. A team from Sydney's West on the other hand I can see myself getting into. Many of our good players are from the West
e.g. Kewell and Cahill,Emerton etc. Although they don't play in the A-league it is a very good nursery for talented players.
A second Sydney Based Team will shrink Sydney FC's Crowds even More so a Western Sydney Based Team is out of the QUESTION for now but probably in the 2010/11 Season it would become Possilbe for a 2nd Sydney Team to thrive in the A-League

Status
Not open for further replies.