News Flying Fox set to lead indigenous All Stars team

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Could be a contender for dogs captaincy if none of the middle guys put their hands up..

How come we don't see more wingers as captains? We see a lot of centers lead their teams but rarely wingers....

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Could be a contender for dogs captaincy if none of the middle guys put their hands up..

How come we don't see more wingers as captains? We see a lot of centers lead their teams but rarely wingers....
I'd suspect that being on a wing leaves you a reasonable distance from a lot of indiscretions and things so it's harder to be able to argue them with the ref.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Who do we potentially have in this game? JAC, Naden, JMK, Topine..

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Who do we potentially have in this game? JAC, Naden, JMK, Topine..
Shouldn't that read "who do we potentially have that will probably get injured for a pointless game, and screw our season up... in this game".

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the All stars games, but I hope JAC gets a boost from it if he's selected as captain.
How can you not be a fan? It's an awesome concept and better than the NRL All Stars trash game a couple years back.

I know it's another game but I'm more likely to watch this game than 90% of Int'l games (non Aussie or Kiwi games)

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shouldn't that read "who do we potentially have that will probably get injured for a pointless game, and screw our season up... in this game".
You could use that same argument for origin. I think the players who are selected would love playing in this game. A chance to show some pride in their culture and skills in a relatively pressure free environment. Of course no-one wants to see any injuries, but I think it's worth pursuing.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You could use that same argument for origin. I think the players who are selected would love playing in this game. A chance to show some pride in their culture and skills in a relatively pressure free environment. Of course no-one wants to see any injuries, but I think it's worth pursuing.
Play it at the end of the season after NRL finals are done and dusted then.

Need I remind people we lost RFM (who is STILL out) during a test game.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How can you not be a fan? It's an awesome concept and better than the NRL All Stars trash game a couple years back.

I know it's another game but I'm more likely to watch this game than 90% of Int'l games (non Aussie or Kiwi games)
It's mostly about the fact that it's another cash grab by the NRL. This and the nines might make money for the NRL and the broadcasters early in the year. But any team with players in these games generally have a good chance of losing a player that is playing before they're fully match fit.

That's my view as well. Clubs are usually paying huge money for the players that are participating in these dead rubber fixtures. Even if a club gets cap dispensation for a star that they lose during the All Stars games, it's not like other clubs are able/likely to offer up like for like quality to replace them. I'm sure there's a portion of NRL fans that are emotionally connected to this concept. But I personally will be very pissed off if we lose a big name and reduce our ability to compete in the regular season.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
DWZ was Maori Captain too. Didn’t save him here.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I'm not a fan of the game as I'm more worried about injuries, especially when the players aren't game ready so early in the pre-season.

I'd actually make it a series with SOO. A double header in SOO would be good for all parties involved. Plus the nrlol and betting agencies (the real owners) can make more precious dollars.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Warren Boland
Good memory - he's the only winger I remember that held a club captaincy permanently and for a long time.

Captain is usually a held buy a position with a closer feel for the game, but JAC would make a great VC and will be a leader regardless of any title.