Flanagan proved beyond any doubt he is not a first grade half

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What makes our situation a little harder to take,is that our coach was an international half,now u would think he would/or should know all about one dimensional kicking,for me that’s more of a worry,and it’s been the same since the season started.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Flanagan was given another chance tonight against the Titans, and he has proven to us all that he is not a first grade halfback

His kicking game is one dimensional. Not once did he get us a repeat set. BBO got 3 repeat sets and he was hardly on the field. When Flanagan kicks from our end, it is always an easy catch for the opposing backs. Never does any spin or spiral on his kicks.

His defence is soft, half-hearted and weak.

His passing game is rubbish.

His running game is non-existent.

He has been given so many chances. We are beating a dead horse keeping him on. As much as I wanted him to succeed and make that 7 jersey his, it would be delusional if we keep thinking he is up to it.
Couldn't agree more. If BBO is not named at HB next week, Barrett can go eat a fucking dick.

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I hope this analysis gets sent to Baz but I'm sure he knows.

When Kyle is starting in the halves, the average scoreline is 34.5 to 8.9 (us losing of course). When he is not in the team (i.e. when Avo is 7), the scoreline is 27.5 to 18.

We score more and concede less when he is not playing. If we were losing every game but average 8.5 points the hill to climb next year wouldn't seem as large.

I'll come out and say I was for signing Kyle backend of last year because on face value he looked good and someone who could fill a void.

Last edited:

Wally D

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I'll come out and say I was for signing Kyle backend of last year because on face value he looked good and someone who could fill a void.
I was also very hopeful and excited when we signed him. We signed him when things were looking really bad for us, so at the time it looked like a promising signing. But he has consistently failed to deliver, chance after chance. We have to accept that he is not the solution for us.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah me too mate.. I must admit I didn't watch a lot of him before this year, but I had high hopes that Baz could identify halves talent, all things considered..

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Flanagan was given another chance tonight against the Titans, and he has proven to us all that he is not a first grade halfback

His kicking game is one dimensional. Not once did he get us a repeat set. BBO got 3 repeat sets and he was hardly on the field. When Flanagan kicks from our end, it is always an easy catch for the opposing backs. Never does any spin or spiral on his kicks.

His defence is soft, half-hearted and weak.

His passing game is rubbish.

His running game is non-existent.
He has been given so many chances. We are beating a dead horse keeping him on. As much as I wanted him to succeed and make that 7 jersey his, it would be delusional if we keep thinking he is up to it.
The worst thing about his game is making simple things look so difficult

Dogmonster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Sack Baz get Bennett, never thought I'd say it but far out Baz your side is shithouse and your signings stink.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Tbh Averillo and Wakeham have been the best halves pairing this year.. very very low bar set, I know.... but I think we competed better with them 2 in the halves.. just my opinion..

kap123

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Tbh Averillo and Wakeham have been the best halves pairing this year.. very very low bar set, I know.... but I think we competed better with them 2 in the halves.. just my opinion..
This is 100% accurate. Baz always talks about picking the best 17 available and Kyle isn't performing with the guys around him. Maybe next year he could be an option for Burton with a solid pack and some outside backs that don't drop the ball every second set. However, at the moment he has no attacking flair.

People crucified Averillo for his halfback performances yet statistically we were so much better and observing most games, we were in it. Like a lot say Flanno needs to go to NSW Cup to develop, Averillo also needs to develop and unfortunately we can't send every player to reserve grade every week. We have to pick two guys to fill the 6 and 7 jersey and by far this year our best team had Wakeham and Avo in the halves.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah me too mate.. I must admit I didn't watch a lot of him before this year, but I had high hopes that Baz could identify halves talent, all things considered..
We were so desperate for a halfback we simply overlooked all the warning signs.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is 100% accurate. Baz always talks about picking the best 17 available and Kyle isn't performing with the guys around him. Maybe next year he could be an option for Burton with a solid pack and some outside backs that don't drop the ball every second set. However, at the moment he has no attacking flair.

People crucified Averillo for his halfback performances yet statistically we were so much better and observing most games, we were in it. Like a lot say Flanno needs to go to NSW Cup to develop, Averillo also needs to develop and unfortunately we can't send every player to reserve grade every week. We have to pick two guys to fill the 6 and 7 jersey and by far this year our best team had Wakeham and Avo in the halves.
I think there's more to it. Wakeham has fallen out of favour quite badly since covid... wakeham wasn't even taken up to qld.. allegedly? Unless that's changed now?

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I didn't watch him at all prior to coming to us because fuck the Roosters and why would i want to watch them, but my god i was hopeful at the beginning of the year and all for giving him a shot and even after Rnd1 was optimistic but this guy has got to be the worst signing in the last decade for us.

How he doesn't realise that he's essentially worse than most reserve grade halves is beyond me. It's nepotism at it's best, he's basically the sort of guy that back in the old days would become a politician or a general based on family connections and then proceed to utterly destroy whichever country he served and then turn around and blame it on everyone else around him.

He takes no ownership for his own lack of talent and proceeds to give the most inhospitable balls to our backline or turn it on the inside for the umpteenth time. His attitude on the field would make you think he's the best player out there but most of the time i didn't notice him and when i did it was because he was royally screwing up

Doggy71

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Im all for giving a bloke a fair go and ive gotta admit i thought flanno might go ok but surely his papers are marked by now.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I think there's more to it. Wakeham has fallen out of favour quite badly since covid... wakeham wasn't even taken up to qld.. allegedly? Unless that's changed now?
I've heard that he's an absolute shit attitude towards training.

Thats probably the driving reason he hasn't progressed at all and is dropped completely

amapusae

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

I’ve said this many times, considering averillo is 20 and it’s his first year in FG, he did a better job than anyone at HB for us. Especially leading around this bunch of flops.

I just get the sense the team doesn’t play for Flanno when he’s there. But everyone puts in more for avo. I also noticed him being more vocal today.