News Five reasons Bulldogs are ready to topple Cowboys

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Bulldogs’ back five has emerged the key to beating an equally understrength North Queensland Cowboys on Saturday.

Inside the Fox Sports Lab, NRL expert Tim Williams revealed to host Eloise Sohier how Canterbury had dealt with their depleted forward stocks.

Coach Cameron Ciraldo is already missing Tevita Pangai Jr, Luke Thompson and Chris Patolo through injury. Utility Fa’amanu Brown now joins the casualty ward with an elbow issue ahead of Sunday’s Cowboys clash at Accor Stadium.

“They had to overcome some adversity earlier in the season in the form of key injuries to middle forwards — their forward pack has been a little bit light on,” Williams said.

“The way they’ve managed to do that, and it’s a credit to Cam Ciraldo and their coaching staff, their back five have been tremendous.

“In particular, their centres and wingers, led by Jacob Kiraz, who in the last three games for the Doggies has averaged 26 runs per game, eight tackle busts.

“Jake Averillo has been terrific. Paul Alamoti, Josh Addo-Carr, so I think they can get the job done.”

The roster depth of North Queensland has been tested with Murray Tualagi, Scott Drinkwater, Reuben Cotter and now Jeremiah Nanai all sidelined due to injury or suspension.

“It’s a lot to overcome for them,” Williams said.

“We’ve seen the Cows overcome adversity in the past (and) they will later this season, but I still think the Doggies will be too strong at home this week.”

Williams warned the result could have an impact on halfback Kyle Flanagan’s immediate future.

“There is so much pressure on poor old Kyle Flanagan. It seems to be the story of his career,” Williams said of Flanagan, whose Bulldogs contract expires at the end of this season.

“The reason for that is they need to be winning games for him to keep his spot, because of Karl Oloapu, the young fella, he’s 18 years old, (has) come down from Queensland from the Broncos and has been killing it in reserve grade.

“If the Doggies aren’t winning and Flano is struggling a little bit, he’ll be in the NRL in no time.”

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cowboys and south’s should be 4 points in the bag for us,
If we drop both we are kidding ourselves for top 8.
Need to start scoring well over 20 points a game and fast.
Flanagan will never have a running game it ain’t gonna happen and will rarely have an assist so why persist?
This infinite stubbornness will anchor our bulldogs bottom 4

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flanagan will never have a running game it ain’t gonna happen and will rarely have an assist so why persist?
Agreed. Both cows and Souths are not in the best of form and they’re for the taking. If we can with these two game, sets us up for a successful season imo once we start getting some troops back.

I know we’re critical of the boys. But take out 4 middles of any team and see how they go. The boys are busting their arses, king as a prime example. Playing through injury.

Props to Ciraldo as well. Imagine if this happened under Barrett, we’d be getting flogged every week. Just needs to sort his rotations out.

On the flip side if we lose the next two. Lights out for the year. And lights out for Flanagan.

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m also not happy with the bench rotation that the reason we fall away.
No point having 4 bench players and having one guy play no minutes and another only 10.
Bench should be a wave of strength not a ripple in our case.
Bring in Topine and Morrin
They’ll toughen us up

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Haven't been lacking effort, hope they can continue to inspire, could be Flanagains last chance as JT impersonation, if Lewis can chip n chase .
Defense has been holding, class effort

Jebbundy

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Strange this is, and this is only the last few yrs we’ve been horrible. Are we in form, based on we have been competitive bar round 1. If we had a better 7 I’d say we’d clean up easily. We are getting down field no problem, then we just go side to side early ball. It sucks when you hope jac gets two interceptions. I hope we can create some pressure this game. Kiks is a loss. Just need to get the penalties out and hold the ball. I’m not going to go into what flanno needs to do. He just can’t deliver and I think that’s the end of that, flanno is what he is.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
With kikau out our odds got a lot longer, and while the cows have a lot out they still have Chad and Deardon in their spine and Taumalolo in their forward pack. I am hoping for the best this week but the worst won’t be unexpected.

senshidog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cody Walker always has a match winning performance against us, and Alex Johnston always scores a few.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Going to be a tough game no matter how you call it,two points are a must ! Always are. So if we can nab a win and it don’t matter how.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I just hope this week it's either a fair win or loss. Every time there's controversial decisions that wind up deciding the game I get a bit closer to having watched my last game. I saw three games last year before deciding to switch off for the season. I didn't even see a game after Potter took over.

Last week I listened on the radio. This week I'll try and find a pub showing the game. But it's hard for me to watch when it feels like we've got to beat our opponents and the referees.

NQ Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
With kikau out our odds got a lot longer, and while the cows have a lot out they still have Chad and Deardon in their spine and Taumalolo in their forward pack. I am hoping for the best this week but the worst won’t be unexpected.
To be honest, Kik's hasn't shown anything out of the ordinary. Where are his angled runs that were so devastating at Penrith? He has shown none of that here.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
To be honest, Kik's hasn't shown anything out of the ordinary. Where are his angled runs that were so devastating at Penrith? He has shown none of that here.
He doesn’t have a halfback that can create space on the edges either.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Think his D has been good and yeh hasn’t hit it yet but no fkn ball player makes it hard.

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't like this thread, it reminds me of the so-called "expert" that went into great depth about how Manly was going to thrash the dogs in the 1995 Grand final...
And we all know how that ended :grinning::hearteyes:

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
With u there mate we get them today we find few more believers.
With the attitude the boys are putting in and the fact it will be a grindy match we are good chance... lets just hope they can polish of the chances.