Fittler as coach if Barrett doesn't work out ?

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
There are coaches who are OK at origin level but not at club level. Fittler just barely does the job at origin level, he really should have won this years series 3-0 and should never have lost last year. If Qld had a half decent squad he would be out of that job too. Gus would have someone in mind but it wouldn't be Fittler.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bloke picked Gutho at centre last year for origin. Also over looked a Reynolds and Walker pairing for the third game this year and went with a Moses and Wighton combo. Enough said

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Gus has a big opinion of Fittler as a potential NRL coach.

If Barrett proves unsuccessful with us next year I'd think Gould would have Fittler next in line IF he's still available by then

I'm no big fan of Fittler but I think he'd make a better coach than Barrett simply because he isn't shy of making hard calls. He doesn't shy away from telling players the truth about poor performances or from dropping underperforming players either.

Another option would be to get rid of Furner and bring in Marc Brentnall as an assistant coach but for attack. Brentnall is the son of our 1980 Premiership winning fullback Greg Brentnall. Currently an assistant coach to Craig Bellamy. Throw him a bit more money and he can replicate the Storm system.

I'd even consider bringing back Pay maybe as our defensive coach. I remember a period under Pay when we had the best defence in the comp. Would make a good PR story too after he was sold a shit sandwich by the club. Barrett might not be thrilled with this idea but he hasn't really earned the right to pick his own staff has he ?

Fittler - yes
Pay - yes
Brentnall - no

Pay was defensive coach at Roosters in 02 from memory.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Where has this narrative come from about Pay being a great defensive coach?

Our defensive structures were terrible under Pay from a technical point of view.

What Pay could do was have the players buy in and fight for a bone. Our scramble defence was a lot better and that's a attitude thing.

enoughsaid

Kennel Tips Winner '04
Reaction score
There's a huge difference between being a club coach and an Origin coach. Any Muppet can be an Origin coach. Vautin, Wally Lewis, Daley, Fitter, Kevin Walters etc have proven that.

Fitter proved at the Roosters that he has no clue as an NRL coach.
Amen
someone making sense
Origin coaching is a sprint coaching the elite
NRL coaching is a marathon coaching all diff level of player

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There are coaches who are OK at origin level but not at club level. Fittler just barely does the job at origin level, he really should have won this years series 3-0 and should never have lost last year. If Qld had a half decent squad he would be out of that job too. Gus would have someone in mind but it wouldn't be Fittler.
Agreed. And the brains behind the SOO was Craig Fitzgibbons, not Fittler. He was just a talking head.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Barrett is under no pressure at all. He has long term relationships with Laundy & Gould. This roster is not his & in all seriousness only about 6 players were actually 1st graders (2 of those are past it). We have no tackle busting edge forwards, we have no ball playing edge forwards, we have terrible fullbacks. Our 9's dont do anything heads up nor have speed or can pass & our half & 5/8 cant manage shit & refuse to go to the line. Our props have no post contact meters, get turtled & take an age to play the ball. You cant fix people who don't have talent but you can flush them and that is what Gould will do. Do any of you believe, for the price they are being paid, that any one of the top 30 is value for money or could win us a premiership? I don't.
Great summary of our current situation

I'm happy for Gus to ship out/shop around any of our current Top 30 players (including Thompson and jackson) if he thinks it's needed to get our team competitive again

I just want to start being competitive and winning games again and to be honest I don't care what players are wearing our jumper to do it

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Barrett is under no pressure at all. He has long term relationships with Laundy & Gould. This roster is not his & in all seriousness only about 6 players were actually 1st graders (2 of those are past it). We have no tackle busting edge forwards, we have no ball playing edge forwards, we have terrible fullbacks. Our 9's dont do anything heads up nor have speed or can pass & our half & 5/8 cant manage shit & refuse to go to the line. Our props have no post contact meters, get turtled & take an age to play the ball. You cant fix people who don't have talent but you can flush them and that is what Gould will do. Do any of you believe, for the price they are being paid, that any one of the top 30 is value for money or could win us a premiership? I don't.
Glad we're flushing Hopa and Napa. I really think we need to flush Elliott also and maybe even Jackson (who offers zero in attack). It just seems we have a losing mentality ingrained in our longer term players. I see former players (DWZ) and coaches (Hasler) who were shit with us but successful with other sides and just wonder why that is. Hasler yes I know has Turbo as a big plus but with us we had no attack at all but Manly don't play like that. It seems maybe many members of our team aren't actually capable of playing to a coach's (any coach's) game plan. If true we need to move on the losers responsible. I'd rather see Elliott and Jackson both moved on ahead of Thompson.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Definitely no excuses for baz next year,if we are playing shit with these players coming next year

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I will say it for the million times Bellamy for 2 million dollars :grinning:
Only if TBaz fails !!!
Gofund me page or whatever people use these days to give Bellamy an 'anonymous' gift. Baz fails, ill chip in.