First Aid Qualification

Status
Not open for further replies.

bullfrog_rip

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i did it for work, but id be reluctant to use it outside of work on strangers because if anything goes wrong, say i secure their neck after an accident but somehow they move and they end up paralysed they can sue me even if my actions saved their life...so bugger that. kids yes id help in a heartbeat but adults who are more stubborn etc i wouldnt..id call triple 0 first...then assist someone else

dogkat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
i did it for work, but id be reluctant to use it outside of work on strangers because if anything goes wrong, say i secure their neck after an accident but somehow they move and they end up paralysed they can sue me even if my actions saved their life...so bugger that. kids yes id help in a heartbeat but adults who are more stubborn etc i wouldnt..id call triple 0 first...then assist someone else
First aiders cannot be sued, if they honestly believe that they are doing the right thing.

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
Why would your face need to go into his armpit....?

Remind me not to ask you for assistance if I ever go in to cardiac arrest IF i ever come across the legendary Tarik smell. :p
Just in case he was spread eagle on the beach and you tripped and fell in.

You have to be prepared for these situations Kurry!

Btw, you can ask for my help, just allow me 30 seconds of laughing time. :grinning:

Your Mum

Jorgie
Reaction score
i really enjoyed it and there have been a couple of incidents where i have wanted to help but was pulled away. Whenever someone at work hurts themselves i always ask them if they want first aid.

lol my bf stacked it on his way to meet me for lunch once so i raided the office first aid kit and i when i saw him i pulled out salene wash, bandages, dress etc ready to dress his wound ......his response "i am not going to let you dress my knee in the middle of subway" lol

bullfrog_rip

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
First aiders cannot be sued, if they honestly believe that they are doing the right thing.
i got told we could be at the first aid course, wether the rule has changed or not i dont know but im not taking any chances

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
What are you his mother? Let the man dress himself. :p

bullfrog_rip

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Suing for damages ... Brodie Cambourne.

A WOMAN given emergency first aid by St John Ambulance officers claims the treatment was an unlawful assault.

Brodie Cambourne, 34, alleges volunteer medics permanently damaged her shoulder when they treated her at a surf carnival in Lorne, Victoria.

Queenslander Ms Cambourne has launched legal action in Victoria's County Court seeking compensation.

The incident allegedly took place during Rescue 06 - the world lifesaving championships held at Lorne in February 2006.

Ms Cambourne was representing Australia in several events, including surf ski races and a beach relay.

She claims to have dislocated her shoulder during one of the events - and alleges the St John Ambulance volunteers who tried to help her made the injury worse.

Surf Life Saving Australia and the Lorne Surf Life Saving Club are named as co-defendants in the suit.

The writ claims treatment administered by the un-named first aid officers constituted "unlawful assault and battery".

http://www.knowfirst.info/forums/showthread.php?p=88873

Your Mum

Jorgie
Reaction score
What are you his mother? Let the man dress himself. :p
No i'm YOUR mum :p

And as a matter of fact i do dress him actually :o When he was packing his suitcase last week he goes "omg, i have so many shirts now, you've turned me into a girl!" I'm awesome.

Your Mum

Jorgie
Reaction score

A WOMAN given emergency first aid by St John Ambulance officers claims the treatment was an unlawful assault.

Brodie Cambourne, 34, alleges volunteer medics permanently damaged her shoulder when they treated her at a surf carnival in Lorne, Victoria.

Queenslander Ms Cambourne has launched legal action in Victoria's County Court seeking compensation.

The incident allegedly took place during Rescue 06 - the world lifesaving championships held at Lorne in February 2006.

Ms Cambourne was representing Australia in several events, including surf ski races and a beach relay.

She claims to have dislocated her shoulder during one of the events - and alleges the St John Ambulance volunteers who tried to help her made the injury worse.

Surf Life Saving Australia and the Lorne Surf Life Saving Club are named as co-defendants in the suit.

The writ claims treatment administered by the un-named first aid officers constituted "unlawful assault and battery".

I'm pretty sure she lost.....

dogkat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah, I remember reading about that ... :whacky:

Lil Ms Fabulous

Is Trollin
Reaction score
I used to have a First Aid Certificate a few years back as I could do it through QLD Police when I worked there as an Admin Trainee (didn't cost me anything). Although all the Cops are required to have a First Aid Certificate, all us Admin workers were highly encouraged to have them as well.

I was also working a second job in a Pizza Joint at the time and asked the Boss (from an employer's point of view of course) if he would employ someone only if they held a current first aid certificate only and no other reason and he said yes he would.

I did my CPR Update a year after that (because I had left QLD Police) and this instructor that I had basically had a major winge about Nurses (not a dig at you Leesee) and how they always take over the classes. He did however know that there was a few Child Care Workers in the class that night and then asked a few of us that was there what we did for a crust and when he pointed at me - I just told him that I was a Pizza Chick and he just said to me that I need one (referring to a First Aid/CPR certificate).

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
Sorry, I'll be in bed soon. :(

Nah seriously I think that's common. My GF used to work in a shoe store so she used to get shoes all the time. Not any more. It's what I do now.

Whenever I go shopping I grab some. Last time I got 3. :o

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I had to get it when i done my security licence but i lost the ct and the place that i done the course at closed down so i have no idea on where to get the ct from lol, It was a 9am to 3pm course and i dont want to do the **** again.

~doggie~diva~

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
even if i tried to do first aid on someone, they cant legally screw me.. especially with my little first aid card thingy :grinning: ...well i hopeso anyway

Maltese Bulldog

Waterboy
Reaction score
i got the first aid ct through school as it was pretty cheap, but havent got to use it yet... it runs out in 2011 and im not sure if i will re new it again. probably will just to show to employers and that... Also did my RSA through school and doing my RSG soon aswell so that should be good. :grinning:

Kent Brockman

Kennel Established
Reaction score
apparently i had to do it to get my year 12 certificate

i cant remember doing it..

and i have my year 12 certificate

hth.

Tha DoggFather

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Mines current gad to get it for security, only used it once, an Islander bloke got knocked the f**k out by a little psycho lebbo. I had to put him in that safe position thing on his side until the medics rocked up

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
mine has expired years ago... i was about to renew my first aid license in 2006 since i didnt bother completing my fire warden course

Status
Not open for further replies.