Fired-up Gallen cleared at NRL judiciary

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Fired-up Cronulla and NSW captain Paul Gallen passionately argued his innocence and was vindicated with a not guilty verdict for a dangerous contact charge at the NRL judiciary on Wednesday night.

Gallen avoided a one-match suspension for kneeing South Sydney forward Dave Taylor in the head and says he's now determined to overcome his own knee injury and play in Sunday's heavyweight clash between the Sharks and Melbourne at Toyota Stadium.

The Sharks star described Taylor as "a 125kg monster" and said the contact made in the play-the-ball was accidental and part of rugby league.

Gallen gave an animated defence of himself in front of judiciary panel members Sean Garlick, Mal Cochrane and Bob Lindner and said he felt Taylor was playing for a penalty as both players attempted to rise to their feet.

It only took a few minutes of deliberating until Gallen had his one-match suspension wiped.

"He's definitely 125 kilos and he's a big boy and I've got no problem with Dave Taylor," Gallen said after the hearing.

"We've played for Australia together, we surf together, it's just part of the game that happens.

"I'm definitely happy. From the time I was charged I was pretty disappointed with the charge and wanted a chance to prove I was innocent.

"It never hurt anybody, I'm just glad to have a good hearing and it's passed me now."

Gallen was challenged by NRL Counsel Peter Kite that the contact with his knee and Taylor's head was forceful and that he had a duty of care to avoid it.

The workhorse lock was a little prickly in arguing his innocence, but jokingly denied afterwards that he has a future as a defence lawyer.

"I don't know if I could handle all the uni degrees," he said.

Gallen can now enter into the State of Origin period without the burden of carry-over-points and, even though he's believed to be in reasonable doubt for Sunday's match, he said it was still a risk to fight the one-match ban.

The 30-year-old said he was hopeful of facing the Storm.

"I had a light training session today and I'm doing everything I can to play," he said.

"Shane (Coach Flanagan) will give me up until game day. It's a massive game for myself and the club."

Gallen said Flanagan came out of Wednesday morning surgery for a twisted bowel well and is on the road to recovery.

"He wants to come back to work tomorrow but we'll give him the week off I reckon," Gallen said."

http://www.sportsnewsfirst.com.au/articles/2012/05/09/fired-up-gallen-cleared-at-nrl-judiciary/

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Queensland applaud NSW skipper Paul Gallen being cleared to play State of Origin I

When Paul Gallen ducked the hangman's noose on Tuesday, the decision gained a rousing chorus of approval in NSW - and in Queensland.

Queensland players who once considered the Blues mortal enemies were happy to see the inspirational captain Gallen cleared for the first State of Origin match on May 23 in the hope that utterly dishevelled NSW can field their best side.

Talk about a role reversal.

There was a time when the Maroons fans and players lived in a permanent state of paranoia and a Blues captain escaping from heavy judiciary sentence in Origin month would have created a storm of outrage from the Tweed to Townsville.

But when it was revealed Sharks captain Gallen had been charged with a grade one tackle and would escape suspension after using his knee in a tackle on Souths' Dave Taylor the cries of "fair call" came from both sides of the border.

"Let him play," said former Maroons five-eighth Ben Ikin.

Former Queensland hooker Kerrod Walters felt the same.

"I would like to see him play Origin - it would add to the occasion," Walters said.

"I would like to see NSW as competitive as they can be. We will never lose interest because we love it but I wonder whether the NSW fans will lose interest.

"Queensland cannot get enough of it but I don't think that's the case in NSW.

"Gallen is a great leader and the key for them. The way he rolls up his sleeves and gets into it, I think the other players just want to follow him."

"I think it's a fair penalty. I have always thought that the penalty system should be different when it means someone missing a grand final or a State of Origin match.

"This is something the new commission could look at.

"Missing an Origin game is certainly different to missing an NRL game."

The reaction was more hostile online where one Queensland fan said he was surprised Taylor was not charged for headbutting Gallen's knee.

Gallen also received good news on his injury when scans indicated a strained posterior cruciate ligament. At the most he is expected to miss only this Sunday's NRL clash with unbeaten Melbourne Storm.

He feared much worse when forced from the field against the Rabbitohs on Monday night.

"I've had a little strain there before and it's just stretched it a bit more. It's more of a scare than anything," Gallen said at Sharks recovery on Tuesday.

"I was pretty scared at the time but it's all good news this morning. I'll definitely be right (for Origin) in two weeks time."

NSW-based former Test fullback Greg Alexander felt Gallen's light penalty was appropriate under the rules.

"When I was calling the game, I felt he had a case to answer," Alexander said.

"Obviously there was contact. He did contact his knee with Taylor's head but grade one - I am happy with that."

Former Blues enforcer Mark Geyer said: "Of course he should play."

http://www.foxsports.com.au/league/...tate-of-origin-i/story-fn31yxah-1226350608937

Status
Not open for further replies.